Visa for Turkey

I have just booked the Celebration for June sailing from Marmaris and have been told I have to pay $20 per person online at http://www.evisa.gov.tr. Is this correct?

I sailed last August from Marmaris as well and was just given a form to fill in that allowed us through without the need to get a Visa.

Has it changed?

Thanks

John

Edited by john_l

Hi I am sailing on same cruise and have been told by one agent I dont need a visa if going on a cruise and not staying overnight, by another agent I do need a visa and can buy one at airport and yet another agent that I must get one online

Does anybody know what we should do and thompson should claryfy the issue before we leave uk

Confused here too !!!!!!!!! :confused:

The Foreign Office website states NO visa is required if cruising only (a cruise and stay DOES require a visa)

I also have an email from Thomson replying to my question advising that a visa is NOT required.

This should be enough confirmation for me,,,,,, yet Ive read on various forums cruisers advising each other to purchase a visa (which must now be done online, no more purchasing at the airport).

So not really sure what to do for the best, everything points to no visa necessary, yet I really don't want to find myself in a debate with a Turkish border control official on arrival. Maybe some of the kind peeps flying to Marmaris in May could advise what they are doing :)

The debate will occur at Embarkation not at Turkish borders. Our cruise ends in Istanbul though.

This is what our TA advised us:

"regarding your upcoming sailing on the Celebrity Equinox.

Beginning April 10, 2014, Turkey is changing their visa process. The Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs will no longer provide visas on arrival (at airports) to foreign travelers. Visitors entering Turkey from that date onwards MUST have obtained their visa BEFORE TRAVEL to be permitted into the country. Visitors can apply up to 3 months prior to their arrival date in Turkey. It’s recommended that applications be completed by at least one week prior to travel, though it can be done up to 24 hour prior to entry. As always a passport is also required and it must be valid for at least six months after the end of your trip.

Turkish e-visas can now be easily obtained online at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/. More information can be found at the Turkish Consular Information website and at the Frequently Asked Questions page of the website. "

Edited by Pushka

I'm going on board Celebration on 5th May and have been sent the email from Thompsons stating we both need a Visa for entering Turkey. From what I have read, if you are boarding the ship in Turkey you need the Visa but if you are only docking as a stop off for excursions, etc. then you don't need one. The cost is $20 online or £20 at the airport, a saving of almost 50% if you buy it online. I know what I'm doing!

I have just booked the Celebration for June sailing from Marmaris and have been told I have to pay $20 per person online at www.evisa.gov.tr. Is this correct?

I sailed last August from Marmaris as well and was just given a form to fill in that allowed us through without the need to get a Visa.

Has it changed?

Thanks

John

Hi John, the info from Pushka is correct. What's your date in June? We are on for 2 weeks starting 16th

Still confused ...................... :confused:

This is an email reply I received from Thomson Pre Travel Help ..............

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email. I can confirm there is no visa requirement for Turkey.

If there is anything else you require, please do not hesitate to contact ourselves.

Kind regards

Carly

.................... I fly into Dalaman, sail out of Marmaris same day, and return home via Paphos Cyprus............... ''brain melting'' :(

If you fly into Dalaman then you will need a visa to enter Turkey. My understanding is that cruises that start or end in Turkey will require a visa. Given the small cost it's surely worth it?

Edited by Pushka

If you fly into Dalaman then you will need a visa to enter Turkey. My understanding is that cruises that start or end in Turkey will require a visa. Given the small cost it's surely worth it?

This has been confirmed on the unofficial FB page today.

The former paying cash at point of entry procedure officially ended on 11th April 2014, although the website says it'll be extended to cover this year's holiday season.

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.asp

I would get it online to be 100% confident.

I'm unclear on the issue about transiting or visiting cruise customers needing one or not - best get expert advice via the consulate.

Hi John, the info from Pushka is correct. What's your date in June? We are on for 2 weeks starting 16th

Thanks Ronjae, it is all confusing. However, I will take Pushkas advise. I would rather pay than be stuck at the airport and not allowed to enter.

However, other cruisers have email of Thomson to say you don not need them.

Crazy !

I get on the Celebration on the 30th so we will be passing each other on the way On/Off the ship :)

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email. I can confirm there is no visa requirement for Turkey.

If there is anything else you require, please do not hesitate to contact ourselves.

Kind regards

.................... I fly into Dalaman, sail out of Marmaris same day, and return home via Paphos Cyprus............... ''brain melting'' :(

Same here but I think I am going to follow the other advise and buy online just to be sure. Its a cost I could do without but better safe than sorry:(

I'm going on board Celebration on 5th May and have been sent the email from Thompsons stating we both need a Visa for entering Turkey. From what I have read, if you are boarding the ship in Turkey you need the Visa but if you are only docking as a stop off for excursions, etc. then you don't need one. The cost is $20 online or £20 at the airport, a saving of almost 50% if you buy it online. I know what I'm doing!

I never gave visa's a thought so relieved to read this as we are on Majesty 2 May, and visit Kusadasi in Turkey, so presume from this we will not need a visa. Cheers!!

A couple of cautions.

1. Only use the official Turkish government visa website for applications - the link is in an earlier message.

I entered Turkey Visa on Google and came up with one of those unofficial outfits that will process your application for you - and charge a small fortune for the service.

2. It is more expensive to obtain a "cash and carry" visa at point of entry into Turkey rather than online DIY - and the former process is due to expire sometime this year.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
italics - the use of

Good Afternoon,

Kind regards

Carly

Even the UK.Gov Travel Advice page says "no Visa" If you do not stay overnight and are just passing through the Airport ..Classed as a day trip .

See here ... Turkish Visa

Hi I am sailing on same cruise and have been told by one agent I dont need a visa if going on a cruise and not staying overnight, by another agent I do need a visa and can buy one at airport and yet another agent that I must get one online

Does anybody know what we should do and thompson should claryfy the issue before we leave uk

I emailed to find out and got the reply - if you're entering Turkey via a cruise ship a visa is not required but if you are flying into Turkey to board a cruise ship a visa is required. It's easy to apply online on the Turkish visa website, do it yourself there is no need to apply through a site offering to get your visa for a fee. Hope this helps.

Even the UK.Gov Travel Advice page says "no Visa" If you do not stay overnight and are just passing through the Airport ..Classed as a day trip .

See here ... Turkish Visa

I think it has been updated since you looked. It now says:-

"British nationals need a visa to enter Turkey, except for cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day."

To muddy the waters further. If you take a ships excursion to Ephesus from Kusadasi, does that count as remaining in the port of embarkation?

If you are overnighting in say Istanbul you need a visa because the 'same day' does not apply.

Confusing eh!

"British nationals need a visa to enter Turkey, except for cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day."

So it does ,thanks Terry.

To muddy the waters further. If you take a ships excursion to Ephesus from Kusadasi, does that count as remaining in the port of embarkation?

If you are overnighting in say Istanbul you need a visa because the 'same day' does not apply.

Confusing eh!

It is confusing Dave , reading on the Turkish Visa Q&A part of the site ...

Do I need an e-Visa if I am on a cruise ship ?

You do not need a e- Visa if you will not leave the ship.

You do not need a e-Visa if you only tour in the respective port city of Turkey.

You do need an e- Visa if you do want to tour beyond the respective port city of turkey .

So people who decide to book a tour from a ship that's only visiting the port for the day could be caught out thinking they do not need a visa

when they do . That's unless your only touring the Town the ships docked in .

Yet others just having a walk around or a tour of the ships port do not need one.

As others have said on here "maybe for what the Visa costs" ..better to just buy one, to be on the safe side .

My other half is on the phone to Thomson as i write ...And they have confirmed that if you are flying into Turkey in order to pick up a cruise ship you will need a visa even if you are just going on a cruise holiday.. however if you are cruising to Turkey as part of the cruise Thomson will sort the visa out.

My other half is on the phone to Thomson as i write ...And they have confirmed that if you are flying into Turkey in order to pick up a cruise ship you will need a visa even if you are just going on a cruise holiday.. however if you are cruising to Turkey as part of the cruise Thomson will sort the visa out.

So methinks it might be a good idea if Thomson contacted everyone booked on a Marmaris cruise and told them they need to buy a visa in advance. Of course they will direct you to their partner site to arrange the visa which might be more expensive than using the official Turkish embassy site.

I actually emailed the turkish visa website only about a month ago and the reply stated as you quoted above-if you're entering the country on a day trip from a cruise ship ( sailing in) you don't need a visa but if you are flying into the country to board a cruise ship you do need a visa. I can only suggest you do as I did and email them directly to double check.