A question about Melbourne

S&B

We are in Melbourne from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. If we take an excursion that gets back to the ship at 1:30 p.m. will we have enough time to get into Melbourne to see the Royal Botanical Gardens? How far is the visitor center from where the ship docks? I believe you can pick up the $5 shuttle from the visitor center. We will have about three hours.

Thanks for any help.

You will do it easy if you grab a taxi. I am not aware of any visitor centre nor the $5 shuttle....I am not sure what you are referring to here. Some cruise lines may put on a shuttle to Melbourne but I am not sure where they drop you.

I have attached a Melbourne Port Guide I put together last year. The Botanical Gardens is the green area next to the Shrine of Remembrance on the first map.

It may help.

2014 Melbourne Port Guide.pdf

Fletch, thanks for the port Infos.

The shuttle is run by the City of Melbourne: http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/visitors/transport/shuttle/Pages/VisitorShuttle.aspx

Thanks for posting AntjeG.....I didn't know this existed!!! And seems very reasonable for the price. I will try and include it in my port guide.

• 3 weeks later...

The city shuttle is directly across the street from the Flinders street visitors centre and in front of the big Catholic Church, st Paul's I think it is. 5 dollars for shuttle and probably takes 5 to 10 minutes to botanical gardens. Botanical gardens are huge btw, you won't have time to walk all the way around or through it. Shrine of remembrance is phenomenal, I'm Canadian and it is probably the best Shrine I've seen dedicated to the Aussie Defence Forces. I wouldn't tour it but a walk through while it's close is worth the time.

All in all, Fitzgerald park at the end of flinders street is better than the botanical gardens and I am a garden enthusiast. A beautiful free conservatory that takes my breath away, the Fairy Tree, varied paths and cooks cottage (entry fee) but much smaller and you could walk it thoroughly in 45 min. Also little cafe with light lunch and coffees. There is the free city circle tram that stops in front of it or the paid city shuttle.

Heather

Edited by Instigatorhw

Good suggestions there but a couple of corrections.

the church is St Pauls but it is Anglican and the gardens are the Fitzroy gardens, just in case someone is looking for them on a map. The big catholic church is up not far from parliament house and its St Patricks. Parliament house can be interesting for those interested. They have free tours.