Potty trained on cruise vs diapers...

CruznIsBest

Hello,

DH, DD, and I are booked on a cruise in December. DD will be 2 yrs 4 months old by then. She is not yet potty trained, and I'm wondering if we should strive to have her trained by our cruise. Would that make things easier or harder? In thinking about logistics, if she is NOT potty trained, we won't have to worry about finding her a *clean* potty to use while on shore....she can just go in her diaper and we'll clean up as usual. I'm a germ phobe and the thought of her using public restrooms grosses me out (I don't like using them myself) and the thought of her going to some of the public restrooms on the islands we will be visiting is even more disturbing. Yucky!!! This is our one and only child, so I have no experience whatsoever with potty training and what it's like to have a toddler on vacation.

Thanks!

Took our then 2yo DD on a cruise last year and had the same dilemma. She had just started potty training and was doing quite well. But, the whole public thing had me concerned. We ended up using diapers and pull ups most of the time because we were hardly ever in a place where I felt she could use the bathroom. We ended up moving backwards in potty training as a result. But, she quickly caught up when we returned home. Diapers are easier, but you have to carry a whole week's worth on board. The ship does carry them, but limited sizes. Same with a lot of ports. Just bring those little blue plastic baggies with you (the ones in the diaper aisle that will hold one diaper) so that the cabin doesn't smell bad. The trash cans are emptied every day, but they're very small.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

Archived