Short review on repeater's cruise

loungelizard61

Here are my thoughts on the repeater’s cruise just finished:

Our cabin was a nice aft cabin – 767. We did encounter air conditioning issues which were fixed for 95% of the cruise. I loved the size and layout of the cabin more than the standard cabins that we had last cruise. The bathroom had no tub but I am not a tub person and knew that going in. We did have a large tiled shower with plenty of floor space around the commode and sink. Yea! We also didn’t encounter the soot issues others have talked about.

On the down side, we were woken up most every morning around 5 – 5:30am due to furniture placement on the La Palette deck above us.

Our room also had moisture around the sliding door which emitted a slight moldy smell. It does need to be addressed along with some of the buckled tile in the bathroom.

On to the bars and restaurants… We love Elmo!! We also loved our breakfast waiters, Joe (didn’t write down his real name) and Philip. Last cruise we didn’t interact with the staff as much. It really does pay off to make friends. Elmo learned the wines I liked and made sure to refill with those at dinner if requested. He also would make the ice cream drink after our excursion when we found him later in the day. Our breakfast waiters knew our espresso/latte order quickly and which table we preferred. Plus, their personalities really come through with interaction. Ray and Randy were great with my husband too!

Here were my comments for improvement – please don’t make us guess when the “real” first tender departs. It was not a deal breaker but I follow written schedules and got frustrated not knowing what time to be in line. Also, I suggest keeping the breakfast opening times the same. Yes, they are posted in the newsletter, however, it felt inconsistent.

Having said that, I liked this cruise better than our first. No, it’s not “luxury” in the extravagant/opulent definition of the word but it does fit indulgent/extra synonyms. I am glad it is not too posh or pretentious as it just wouldn’t fit in that area of the world. It works for what it is. I am glad PG has competition; that may be a good thing!

I also reflect on why this cruise may have been better for us than our first (and I liked our first too) and realize it may also have to do with interacting with the other guests. We met more people and staff and therefore had more “friends”. I do believe you get out what you put in at times and this was true in this case. We had a fun time at a great party!!

... please don’t make us guess when the “real” first tender departs. It was not a deal breaker but I follow written schedules and got frustrated not knowing what time to be in line. Also, I suggest keeping the breakfast opening times the same. Yes, they are posted in the newsletter, however, it felt inconsistent. ...

I also reflect on why this cruise may have been better for us than our first (and I liked our first too) and realize it may also have to do with interacting with the other guests. We met more people and staff and therefore had more “friends”. I do believe you get out what you put in at times and this was true in this case. We had a fun time at a great party!!

Yes, the first tender always left earlier than posted. They probably do this so they have wiggle room if there are problems, and to prevent stampedes (lol!)

I agree that the socializing on this cruise was great! Barely met you, Liz, but I do remember the meeting on the motu.

Yes, the first tender always left earlier than posted. They probably do this so they have wiggle room if there are problems, and to prevent stampedes (lol!)

I agree that the socializing on this cruise was great! Barely met you, Liz, but I do remember the meeting on the motu.

I agree about the early tender but the days I tried going much earlier were the days they didn't have a secret early tender and a lot of people were waiting and waiting. Ugh, I just started going when we were ready.

Yes, we had the short meeting at the motu; just too many things to do and not enough days! LOL

I wish all of the bathrooms had showers only. I hate climbing in and out a bathtub. My husband observed that why the tub if the ship does not provide the bath salts? We love the toiletries and actually have started using them at home.

My only compliant is that at lunch and dinner I was never asked if I wanted coffee. I always had to ask. Also, I thought most of the beef I sampled was not tender and a bit dry except for the evening in LA Veranda where the beef was great. I switched over to the no salt choices and found them to be delightful. I noticed that at meals the cruise line is offering more sliced french bread rather than just rolls. Cheese selections(more soft cheese than hard cheese)seemed fewer than previous trips. The wine was ok but we knew that they are now serving more average wines than before.

Also, the waiters were offering rose when in reality it was white Zinfandel.

Room service was excellent. I was sick for a couple days(severe cold and sinusitis) and ordered multiple times from RS. My order taker asked me if I was taking my medication! I thought from the ship's doctor and nurse to even reception they were caring and helpful.

I was disappointed that Dr Michael Poole's lecture on whales was dropped to allow Mark Eddows to talk about his excavations on Brando's

island (a new property for IC). I urge everyone to ask for Poole's return in your cruise comments at the end of your cruise.

Overall it was a delightful cruise filled with cocktail parties and wonderful excursions(thanks to Miriam). We enjoyed having some of the PG "brass" on board to chat and dine with.

We booked a PG cruise to New Caledonia in October of 2015.:)

The ship works for us and we enjoyed the PG's ambiance.

I would be remiss to not mention the food which we thought was very good - much improved from our last cruise. The few times we ordered beef it was very good to excellent. Of course we like ours red and almost mooing so there was little chance for it to be dry. The dinner service was too slow at times so we ordered room service one night and had our meals in 15 minutes. Very fast and efficient!

I agree with the OP about this cruise providing more opportunities for interaction with other guests than our first (2002) cruise on this ship. I think one reason for this might be the fact that the "room bottle" is now gone from all but the butler rooms, and the ship is now "open bar". This motivates guests to visit the lounges for their drinks, instead of mixing and drinking them in their rooms, making for a more social cruise.

The noise of furniture moving above in rooms on deck 7 is due to the fact that the pool deck is directly above. We experienced the same in room 731. I'm not smart enough to suggest a solution for this without a massive re-buid of the ship. Wish it could be corrected, though, as the rooms on deck 7 are otherwise very desirable.

I agree with the OP about this cruise providing more opportunities for interaction with other guests than our first (2002) cruise on this ship. I think one reason for this might be the fact that the "room bottle" is now gone from all but the butler rooms, and the ship is now "open bar". This motivates guests to visit the lounges for their drinks, instead of mixing and drinking them in their rooms, making for a more social cruise.

The noise of furniture moving above in rooms on deck 7 is due to the fact that the pool deck is directly above. We experienced the same in room 731. I'm not smart enough to suggest a solution for this without a massive re-buid of the ship. Wish it could be corrected, though, as the rooms on deck 7 are otherwise very desirable.

There are several rubbery type deck coatings or even synthetic turf that can be applied to decks to reduce the sliding noise of furniture. We have had this same issue on other vessels. Enough complaints and they should probably look into it.

In our case, I believe the heavy furniture was placed strongly (thud) on the deck. We did check it out and the chairs do have quiet, heavy duty, felt type pads on them so just moving them on the deck didn't make noise. I believe the staff had to set up the couches and chairs each morning and placement was quickly done by lifting and setting in place (thud again) without realizing how much vibration and noise it caused. On our last cruise we were in 719 and the pool chairs were an issue too. This time was different though since the pieces in La Palette are heavier. On our tired mornings we did get back to sleep and I am quite aware of the risk of having public rooms above you on a ship.

Liz - spot on about the tenders!! And I totally agree about having a great time at a great party! We enjoyed sharing it with you guys immensely:)

Completely agree with that Ga Belle, who hopefully made it back to Ga, no thanks to AF.

I'll sure give the Gauguin folks the benefit of the doubt on the early tenders, that I know for a fact, in one instance, was sent to accommodate a private tour leaving before the first ship's tour... pretty nice of them really.

It is a special ship, with a special crew, and this time a very special group of fellow cruisers.

Thanks to all for the memories.

Completely agree with that Ga Belle, who hopefully made it back to Ga, no thanks to AF.

I'll sure give the Gauguin folks the benefit of the doubt on the early tenders, that I know for a fact, in one instance, was sent to accommodate a private tour leaving before the first ship's tour... pretty nice of them really.

It is a special ship, with a special crew, and this time a very special group of fellow cruisers.

Thanks to all for the memories.

It was a really great cruise wasn't it. Some wonderful memories.

2017 anyone?

Any potential dates yet Emdee?, ..... I am evidently some-one who loves to forward plan vacations. :)

As you know the ship will be in dry dock likely in Singapore so it will have to be after that. I asked for July so the teachers could come ....Motu, Molokai Chuck and Texed.

July 2017 fits our schedule well...yes, I do have trips planned into 2016 already as I love the planning stage almost as much as the actual trip. Health and wealth permitting...

Me too,Liz

The planning and roll call plays a great part espcially with a friendly group like we had.

As repeaters, we would love a really different itinerary. Having done all of their basic itineraries(except ones going to or coming from dry dock), we're ready for something different (We signed up for their New Caledonia one in October 2015).

Miriam did an awesome job of organizing the excursions for us. We actually did more excursions due to her hard work (and a big thanks to her daughter for helping)!

As repeaters, we would love a really different itinerary. Having done all of their basic itineraries(except ones going to or coming from dry dock), we're ready for something different (We signed up for their New Caledonia one in October 2015).

Miriam did an awesome job of organizing the excursions for us. We actually did more excursions due to her hard work (and a big thanks to her daughter for helping)!

Thanks for the thanks!

Its very hard to get to different islands and yet stay most of the time in FP. I think the majority's love affair is with the Society islands. Maybe a Cooks Itinerary? I am open to whatever but I do want two days in Bora Bora and two days in Motu Mahana if at all possible. I want to fly to Maupiti for the day from Bora Bora. Having seen it from the outside I really want to actually visit it!

Any idea what the itineraries would be right before and after Singapore? Wouldn't mind starting or stopping there.

And yes, thanks so much Miriam for all your hard work!

I too have a love affair with the Societies, but also the Marquesas particularly. But I'm holding out for the Australs. Guess the Gambiers is not in the cards...

I'm thinking of looking at the Aranui perhaps.

Any idea what the itineraries would be right before and after Singapore? Wouldn't mind starting or stopping there.

And yes, thanks so much Miriam for all your hard work!

I too have a love affair with the Societies, but also the Marquesas particularly. But I'm holding out for the Australs. Guess the Gambiers is not in the cards...

I'm thinking of looking at the Aranui perhaps.

Wendy you should look at this year's itineraries in the book. I think there was one that went to Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea. I think the itineraries around Singapore were chartered. My only concern with these itineraries is that the PG is not used to visiting these ports so the excursions may not be stellar. I am likely on my last trip to the far east this January so its is probably not in the cards but if I was to go to Papua or the Solomons I think I would go on Crystal cruises as they visit these islands each year or every other year.

The Aranui is a whole different ballgame. Not sure I would go on them just as I decided against going on the Norwegian coastal steamer (Hurtigrueten).

Wendy you should look at this year's itineraries in the book. I think there was one that went to Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea. I think the itineraries around Singapore were chartered. My only concern with these itineraries is that the PG is not used to visiting these ports so the excursions may not be stellar. I am likely on my last trip to the far east this January so its is probably not in the cards but if I was to go to Papua or the Solomons I think I would go on Crystal cruises as they visit these islands each year or every other year.

The Aranui is a whole different ballgame. Not sure I would go on them just as I decided against going on the Norwegian coastal steamer (Hurtigrueten).

Funny, I'm considering the Hurtigruten for next spring! Right now, our Polynesian flu is in remission, not interested in another PG trip until we have a relapse, which could be 2016.

I have uploaded a few pictures to my photo website since I told a few people that I would share. A few are for certain people so disregard certain shots. I wish I had taken my camera out more but we were usually underwater. ;)

I haven't gotten to those yet.

Anyway, here is the link...

Liz,

Your photos are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them. I plan to post the whale photos and video that I somehow (luckily) got on our return from Tetiaroa. I am not much of a photographer but I was sure glad to get them. I will share a link to them too in the not too distant future.

Danice