Is it just me, I dont get it .. pay to run

Well, if you do it, you can say you ran a 5K on a cruise, which is a little different experience than running one at home, I guess.

$50 is a little pricey, and most runners budget for these things (granted the priciest 5K I've done was $25).... but when I run a 5K or 10K here at home, I know my money's going to a scholarship fund, or medical research, or kids with cancer, etc.

To me, it sounds like the $50 is just an excursion price- without any of the proceeds going to an organization or cause. Haven't cruised Royal but I've done the Breast Cancer Walks & Groove for St. Jude on Carnival, had no problem paying $10 for that since it went to a good cause. Maybe Royal should take the proceeds from this and donate it to a charity or orphanage in St. Maarten or something like that...

Not sure about this run, but most local runs are heavily sponsored by businesses, which keeps the costs down and allows them to donate significantly to a charity. Plus, I doubt they are getting the timing system from St. Maarten, so they have to bring that with them which means a system that is normally used 2 times per weekend will only be used 1 time in 2 weekends. Thus, it costs more to rent.

Yes, the price is about double what a normal 5K would cost (unless you are at Disney) but I'd do this in a heartbeat, and if I wasn't already booked later this month, I'd probably look into booking this cruise for the experience.

Running is an unnatural act except from enemies or to the bathroom:D.

I can't remember which line it was with but one of the excursions was where you paid to volunteer fixing someone's house or the infrastructure or something along those lines.

Ahh... but you do get to run with Adam Goldstein so at least the competition will be good, appartantly he is an excellent runner and very competitive. I wonder if any of the staff will dare to beat him :D

Actually I am sure many people will enjoy this activity, it is just not for me, I am not fit enough to exercise. :)

Sorry but I just do not get it, I have to pay $50 to run, how can this be an interesting excursion. :D

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2010/09/rcl_has_the_allure_of_running.html

This is great news. I wondered in a previous thread about having excursions like this. There was some laughter, but I found out there are running themed cruises with 5 and 10K runs in each port. I only wish it was on Royal Caribbean. I hope at that price you get a really cool shirt. I'd proudly wear it while running the Columbus Marathon.

Ahh... but you do get to run with Adam Goldstein so at least the competition will be good, appartantly he is an excellent runner and very competitive. I wonder if any of the staff will dare to beat him :D

Actually I am sure many people will enjoy this activity, it is just not for me, I am not fit enough to exercise. :)

I wonder how excellent. If he is 22 minutes or slower, I could stay with him and put a bug in his ear about keeping the deck chairs off the running track the way they do on Carnival ;)

Come to Atlanta. Our 4th of July 'Peachtree Road Race' is over $30 (for the T-Shirt) plus run. There are some other benefits they are touting, like post race reception, chance to win stuff, meet running celebrities and other things.

I am a jogger/walker and guess I never thought of running on cruise as a excursion?! :rolleyes:

I do think it is nice that RCL is trying a lot/variety of events/themes. I still think I would like a pub 'crawl' to a run/jog though.:)

I'm with catlady....the only thing I run to is a cruise!:p

Have a "runner" friend. Always tell him there are only two reasons to run

1. the house is on fire

2. someone is chasing you with a gun.

well, I guess I have to add #3, as I would also run to a cruise!!!

RCI frequently holds events that benefit the Make a Wish Foundation and this may well be one such event. It isn't as though anyone is being forced to participate so just because it isn't something with widespread appeal doesn't mean it shouldn't be offered.

I did my first triathlon last year here in our town on my 50th b-day. It was $79 to join. I did get the official number, time keeping/check off device, and the support of dozens of people along the way whenever I needed it. Proud to say I did complete it.... :D

Enough said.

You have to realize that it takes many people and the city employees to organize such an event. The police closed the streets, couple of SFD Emergency Vehicles were parked and ready to go, the county employed lifeguards had to come in early, there were many other workers along the way to provide water and support. The rest of the cash went to a good cause.

If you just want to ride a bike or run 5 miles on your own, go for it, but when it's a sanctioned run/triathlon than be prepared to pay.

I did not say it should not be offered, I simply said that I did not get why someone would want to pay $50 to run, when it can be down for 0$.

Do you think that someone is running alongside the group checking tckets, and what action would be taken if say local kids started running alongside the group. I wish everyone well if it is their thing, my $50 is better spend as a tip to my favourite bar tender.

I actually did take part in a Royal run across the Atlantic on last years Navigator, but that was in aid of Make a Wish, we all paid to take part, and the treadmills were running ( with someone on them ) for 24 hours a day over 5 days, a large group of crew and passengers raised over $13,000 for a great cause.

At the end because so many people had raised so much the Cruise director Keiron Buffrey had his head shaved to raise extra money, my wife and I bid the most, and had the honour of shaving his head, well done KB and all involved.

I did not say it should not be offered, I simply said that I did not get why someone would want to pay $50 to run, when it can be down for 0$.

Do you think that someone is running alongside the group checking tckets, and what action would be taken if say local kids started running alongside the group. I wish everyone well if it is their thing, my $50 is better spend as a tip to my favourite bar tender.

I actually did take part in a Royal run across the Atlantic on last years Navigator, but that was in aid of Make a Wish, we all paid to take part, and the treadmills were running ( with someone on them ) for 24 hours a day over 5 days, a large group of crew and passengers raised over $13,000 for a great cause.

At the end because so many people had raised so much the Cruise director Keiron Buffrey had his head shaved to raise extra money, my wife and I bid the most, and had the honour of shaving his head, well done KB and all involved.

and that's exactly what I said. During our triathlon we had few "side" swimmers, runners and bike riders. Nobody cared and they were allowed to go with us, but if you want to join the "official" group and have your time, pace and your ultimate ending position kept then you had to pay.

I do think it is nice that RCL is trying a lot/variety of events/themes. I still think I would like a pub 'crawl' to a run/jog though.:)

Yep, while I do 5k-10k runs here at home regularly, I make a point of NOT exercising on vacation. It's my time off.....not only from work, but from the whole routine. I know some people like to keep in shape, and that's great, but it's not for me. I like to be lazy (I'm a big lazy-bones at heart!), so when I'm on vacation it's a perfectly legitimate excuse for me! I'll just head to the pub.....

I know it does cost money to host any kind of sporting event like a 5K, but generally the people that are hosting are doing it to raise money for a cause - they're donating their time. Our local running club has all of the equipment and is happy to let local charities use it to raise funds (with a plug for the local club, of course!)

I just run for the tshirts..... :D:D:D

I'm with you, OP. I wouldn't pay for an excursion that was just running. I can do that for free. If it were $5-10 for a tee-shirt so that everyone could be identified during the run, that'd be more acceptable.

I expected the article to say that the run was to benefit a charity of some type: Hati relief, Breast cancer, Juvenile Diabetes.

I doubt this excursion's going to make it big.

Yep, while I do 5k-10k runs here at home regularly, I make a point of NOT exercising on vacation. It's my time off.....not only from work, but from the whole routine. I know some people like to keep in shape, and that's great, but it's not for me. I like to be lazy (I'm a big lazy-bones at heart!), so when I'm on vacation it's a perfectly legitimate excuse for me! I'll just head to the pub.....

I know it does cost money to host any kind of sporting event like a 5K, but generally the people that are hosting are doing it to raise money for a cause - they're donating their time. Our local running club has all of the equipment and is happy to let local charities use it to raise funds (with a plug for the local club, of course!)

I just run for the tshirts..... :D:D:D

That's what we used to say Run for the T-Shirts AND beer!! I hate to admit how long ago I started running, but when I started running the Peachtree Road Race here in Atlanta each 4th of July, they had BEER at the end of the race! There would be chants along the race "T-Shirt" then 'Beer" and back and forth. Ahhhh, the good old days.:)

Mostly, I walk now. Still enjoy BEER.

The fee is a registration fee that includes a t-shirt and reception, and other running events during the cruise.

I would do it in a hot second, I easily pay over $50.00 for 1/2 marathons here and only get a t-shirt and the run. It costs $$ to set up and support running events.

And to think less than a year ago my motto was: "i only run when being chased." now I do it for FUN?????

Archived