Carnival or Princess for first timer to Mexican Riviera

Hi.

Me and my mother are planning a 7 day Christmas cruise this December to the Mexican Riviera

Many people have told me Princess will have better food, better service overall, but Carnival appears to have funner activities, and a more energized vibe onboard. The 'Carnival Miracle' also has better member reviews then the 'Sapphire Princess' and a better room.

The more fun energetic vibe on Carnival appeals to me a lot more then the more formal Princess but I've heard many horror stories from Carnival.

Is it worth choosing the fun over the service?

I love Princess (8 cruises so far), but have also cruise on Carnival (4 times) and Royal (5) and Celebrity (3) ........so here is my take on this.

First time cruiser, I would go with Carnival. I love the Spirit class ships (the Miracle is one of them). Princess is great and lively at times, but I think from what you have posted Carnival will suit you better at this time. Cabins are a bit larger on Carnival, but better laid out on Princess. Food is a personal taste, but I have enjoyed the food on both cruise lines. Carnival has cut WAY back on live entertainment (edge to Princess here), but both cruise lines have a lot of other activities to go to.

I love Princess (8 cruises so far), but have also cruise on Carnival (4 times) and Royal (5) and Celebrity (3) ........so here is my take on this.

First time cruiser, I would go with Carnival. I love the Spirit class ships (the Miracle is one of them). Princess is great and lively at times, but I think from what you have posted Carnival will suit you better at this time. Cabins are a bit larger on Carnival, but better laid out on Princess. Food is a personal taste, but I have enjoyed the food on both cruise lines. Carnival has cut WAY back on live entertainment (edge to Princess here), but both cruise lines have a lot of other activities to go to.

Is there an "anytime" dining option like Princess has on Carnival?

Is there anything similar to the Princess International Cafe on the Miracle? Free snackbars, etc.

Hi.

Me and my mother are planning a 7 day Christmas cruise this December to the Mexican Riviera

Many people have told me Princess will have better food, better service overall, but Carnival appears to have funner activities, and a more energized vibe onboard. The 'Carnival Miracle' also has better member reviews then the 'Sapphire Princess' and a better room.

The more fun energetic vibe on Carnival appeals to me a lot more then the more formal Princess but I've heard many horror stories from Carnival.

Princess is far from formal. It's actually pretty relaxed and you might be surprised to find more to do on Princes ships than on Carnival ships. Of course, there are no waterslides on the Sapphire Princess, but there are more and larger pools. It's a different type of vacation. As you say, if you want a more loud raucous partying vacation, go for the Carnival Miracle and enjoy.

Carnival has Anytime Dining. There are no reservations but you can request a particular waiter. 7pm is the busiest time for ATD, if there is a wait you will be given a beeper.

For many the Spirit class is their favorite.

The Spirit class has a few cabin classes that are unique.

-4K are inside cabins with views obstructed by the lifeboats. They have French doors that can be opened.

-7A are obstructed view balcony cabins. They are situated the deck above the 4Ks.

Check the deck plans as many of the obstructed views are between the lifeboats. Avoid 7As situated around the first three lifeboats.

Almost all of the food venues are included in your fare. The coffee bar is extra, so is the steakhouse. Otherwise all food the Lido is free, inside and out. There is also a Taste Bar and Tea is served on sea days.

Carnival's Room Service has it's own unique menu. Continental Breakfast and a 24 hour Sandwich & salad menu. The Carnival Board has many hints how to customize your Room Service order.

But it always is. Your trip is your trip. Want a louder more party like atmosphere because that is you then go with Carnival. Want a more subdued, more refined atmosphere with still lots to do go with Princess. You didn't mention your ages or I missed it. No doubt Carnival caters to a younger crowd on average. I have been on Princess cruises where at 54 I was one of the teens onboard. Granted that was a much longer cruise to a more exotic location. We all have our favourites for our own reasons. Carnival just doesn't make my list.

I have cruised both lines in the Mexican Riviera. I think since you are cruising during Christmas, they will both be lively. However if you were cruising during a non-holiday period, I would say Carnival for you since you want it to be more lively and will have a very different mix of clientele. For food, I think all the mass lines are very similar.

I would go on either. Have had great cruises on both lines.

I do like Carnival's waterslides!

Carnival may not have the Int'l Cafe, but you won't go hungry.

I am glad I formed my own opinions by trying the various cruiselines out for myself. I have had fabulous cruises on all of them!

Is there anything similar to the Princess International Cafe on the Miracle? Free snackbars, etc.

Yes, Princess does have open dining, it is called Anytime Dining.

Okay, I always seem to go back to Princess, so I'm going to quit pestering you kind folks and have decided on Princess.

Our schedule is very screwy, so if for some reason we can't make the date on the 15th we will take Carnival on the 22nd and it will be a decent backup.

Oh, Sorry.

My mom is middle aged and I'm 16. We both like to have fun but also enjoy elegant fancy things.

Wow, you sound like a very mature 16. I have sailed on both lines many times. I have never sailed on the Miracle but I have sailed on the Spirit, which I believe is a similar ship. I have also sailed on the Sapphire and it is one of my favorite ships. I feel the Sapphire is more 'elegant and fancy', so I think you made the correct decision for you particular desires. Do not worry there will be plenty of things to do.

If you like fancy coffee drinks remember to get the Coffee Card. It cost about $30 and gives you 15 specialty coffees and all the regular fresh brewed coffee you want. The International Cafe is the place where you get the coffees, think of it as going into Starbucks and getting any hot or cold drink you want for about $2 (one of the 15 for $30 punches), and then being able to pick out anything from the case for free.

I hope you have a great time with your mom.

Wow, you sound like a very mature 16. I have sailed on both lines many times. I have never sailed on the Miracle but I have sailed on the Spirit, which I believe is a similar ship. I have also sailed on the Sapphire and it is one of my favorite ships. I feel the Sapphire is more 'elegant and fancy', so I think you made the correct decision for you particular desires. Do not worry there will be plenty of things to do.

If you like fancy coffee drinks remember to get the Coffee Card. It cost about $30 and gives you 15 specialty coffees and all the regular fresh brewed coffee you want. The International Cafe is the place where you get the coffees, think of it as going into Starbucks and getting any hot or cold drink you want for about $2 (one of the 15 for $30 punches), and then being able to pick out anything from the case for free.

I hope you have a great time with your mom.

I sound mature on here but I think I'm a nightmare IRL :P

I dislike coffee but I have been thinking about the "Unlimited Soda & More" package.

If we end up liking this cruise enough, we will put a little more effort into our next cruise and try out RCI, they look FUN.

Okay, I always seem to go back to Princess, so I'm going to quit pestering you kind folks and have decided on Princess.

Sounds like a good decision to me! :)

You are NOT being a pest in any way! PLEASE feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

LuLu

~~~~

Superpowers, you do realize that any cruise leaving on 12/22 is going to be way more expensive than a cruise leaving 12/15? And if you want space on the 12/22 cruise you should book now and put down a deposit That is a holiday sailing and will be full and expensive; in fact the cruise may be near to sold out at this point

I too think that Princess will be a good fit for you despite my first post on this thread. I hope the both of you will have a great cruise whichever ship you decide upon!:)

We've had anytime dining on both Princess and Carnival. On our cruise Carnival actually did a better job of it than Princess.

Hi.

We went within months on Mexican Riviera cruises on both Carnival and Princess. One big difference was that since they were doing Mazatlan both cruises spent two nights in Cabo. The difference was that Carnival sailed out to sea after the first night and came back the next morning. Princess spent the night in the harbor so if you wanted to go ashore for late night fun you could on Princess but not on Carnival.

Archived