Travel Ex Insurance vs. Travel Guard Insurance?

sail7seas

I can HIGHLY recommend Travel Guard. I helped friends file a claim for a very expensive vacation(over $10,000) that had to be cancelled last minute. We had very low expectations and joked that it would probably be neverending submisssions of documentation. We submitted everything the best we could, they called with a few questions - check received in just a few weeks!

I have used Travelex Travelite for all of my cruises - numbering 18 by now. The three times I submitted claims (for several hundred dollars of emergent on-board medical care) the claims were promptly paid in full with no questions or hassle at all.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a terrible experience with Travel Guard. They refused to evacuate my husband from Sicily even though they knew from the cruise line, that the hospital was inadequate. He was being treated for a medication problem but he is an insulin dependent diabetic with a pump. The hospital had never seen an insulin pump and forced him to remove it. Their treatment for the diabetes was so improper that he had to furtively check his own blood sugars and sneak his pump on to compensate for the poor treatment.

Travel Guard's "medical expert" who makes the decision about evacuation, was a paramedic. No one there could ever prove to me that a physician had ever looked at the case, despite my constant pleas to speak with their supervising doctor. I now realize that there was no physician in charge.

I also requested that they honor the policy clause for having a translated phone conference between my husband's personal physician and the treating doctor. They refused stating that the treating physician had to ask for it, not the personal physician. They also never told the treating physician that there was an option to ask for the conference, nor did they advise the treating physician that the medical evacuation policy existed. Through the translator provided me by the cruise line, I supplied the treating physician with information from my husband's personal physician which took a very long time due to the time difference.

The conference call could have saved much time and might have resulted in a faster discharge. So while Travel Guard saved a few dollars on a phone call and a translator, my husband spent who knows how much longer in an inadequate hospital laying on sheets that were not changed for 6 days, in a co-ed "intensive care unit" with 6 beds all open to each other where I was only permitted to visit with him for 30 minutes once a day.

We paid for one-million dollars worth of medical evacuation coverage per person and my husband was stuck in a backwater hospital for 6 days.

I will never use Travel Guard again and I caution anyone who is worried about the need for medical evacuation to be wary.

I hope that my experience will save anyone else the heartache I had being alone in a foreign country, unable to speak the language with a sick husband whom I could not even be with. And do you think Travel Guard cared? Absolutely not a single bit of concern on their part other than how they could avoid honoring their contract and save their money, never giving a thought to our welfare or the thousands of dollars we had paid for the policy.

Regardless of what travel insurance I now buy, I add a MedJet Assist policy which covers evacuation if I and the doctors want it done. The insurance company does not have the final say like the paramedic from Travel Guard.

• 1 month later...

Regardless of what travel insurance I now buy, I add a MedJet Assist policy which covers evacuation if I and the doctors want it done. The insurance company does not have the final say like the paramedic from Travel Guard.

Hi Kellie,

I am looking for insurance primarily for medical & evac options for a friend cruising with me.. It appears that their loose description of pre existing condition could may denials very easy..

Can you point me in the direction of a policy that does cover diabetics? This is all a mystery to me Thank God!

If you purchase a policy within the pre-ex exclusion waiver period that most 3rd-party policies have, you'll be covered just fine for diabetes. (This period ranges anywhere from ten days after initial trip payment all the way up to final payment.)

If you purchase a policy within the pre-ex exclusion waiver period that most 3rd-party policies have, you'll be covered just fine for diabetes. (This period ranges anywhere from ten days after initial trip payment all the way up to final payment.)

thanks, She had a spell and was hospitalized about 6 weeks ago so I was worried that would keep her from being covered.

Hi Kellie,

I am looking for insurance primarily for medical & evac options for a friend cruising with me.. It appears that their loose description of pre existing condition could may denials very easy..

Can you point me in the direction of a policy that does cover diabetics? This is all a mystery to me Thank God!

They will all cover diabetics as long as you buy the insurance within the required time of booking and. You might have to satisfy a 180 day provision wherein the doctor has not changed the diagnosis or medication within that period of time.

It's best to talk to the company. We use TravelEx now.

Archived