Any Tips on Purchasing World Cruise?

mur44

Can anyone share tips as to how to obtain World Cruise at a discount.

We are not prepared to buy at list price as our budget is below that of the

list price.

Is it cheaper to buy in October/November time frame?

It varies from cruise line to cruise line and year to year. For example, the full World Voyage on Cunard's QE never went down in price for the 2014 World Voyage (some segments were reduced). During the summer of 2014 the prices for the 2015 World Voyage dropped drastically and then rose again although certain cabins on some segments were being sold at a discount up until sailing time.

You can't count on any World Voyage being discounted. You will need to check prices regularly.

Did you have a specific cruise line in mind?

Scrapnana, Thanks for prompt response.

Our preference order: HollandAmerica, Princess, Cunard, P&O

Is it possible to do a World Cruise at a budget of $50,000 for two?

Can only speak for HAL WCs. Have never seen the HAL WC go into discounts, except for segments, especially the last segment.

You may be able do a WC for $50,000 for 2 but it will be tight. You usually receive decent OBC from HAL (maybe a few hundred $ per person) which helps. Right now for the full 115-day cruise the interior state rooms in a dummy booking came out to equal Full Payment: US$ 44,258.32 including cabin and port fees and taxes, then there will be the added $11.50 per person per day ($2600) hotel charges and about $350 charged for in visas HAL will obtain for you (no additional visas are required for the 2016 WC). There is a 3% discount if paid in full by the end of June (if I remember correctly) which is almost equal to your hotel charges. You will need additional money for any shore excursions, purchases, transportation, etc. while in port.

In most cases travel agents cannot discount.

What they can do is offer amenities such as shipboard credits and/or rebates.

I would first do the research to find what cruise works for your budget. Just go to the web sites of the cruise lines you mentioned and look at the price.

Once you figure out what works then go to a handful of travel agents. Tell them that you have selected what you want and you want to know what they will do for you in the way of amenities. Essentially you have done the work so it's a matter of how bad they want the booking.

Keith

Scrapnana, Thanks for prompt response.

Our preference order: HollandAmerica, Princess, Cunard, P&O

Is it possible to do a World Cruise at a budget of $50,000 for two?

On Cunard you could do a world cruise for two for $50,000 if you are comfortable with an inside stateroom (they usually start at about $20,000 per person plus taxes, fees and port charges - which are about 2000 per person). Keep in mind that you will still need money for excursions.

Cunard offers some OBC and "complimentary hotel and dining charges" (tips) if you book by a certain date.

I believe the World Voyage on HAL starts at about $20,000 for an interior cabin, as well.

I seriously considered P&O for my World Voyage but I was told by a number of people that the food, entertainment, etc. might not appeal to an American since it is directed at British cruisers.

Oceania does not discount their world cruise. Princess did discount thier cruise that started Jan. this year. It all depends on how sales are going - could end up being price increase if sales are ahead of schedule.

Just noticed that HAL has discounted Ocean view cabin to $20,000 PP from

$30,000. Thus, it appears that we can do the world cruise for $50,000 if

we can budget other expenses to $10,000.

However, it is not clear if the $20,000 PP includes tips, taxes and fees.

Thanks all of you for the tips so far. Other ideas would be appreciated.

I think you are overstating the discount. I believe the drop in price was around $3,000 pp not $10,000. I am sure the new price does not include tips, taxes, port fees, visas etc.

Edited by KirkNC

Just noticed that HAL has discounted Ocean view cabin to $20,000 PP from

$30,000. Thus, it appears that we can do the world cruise for $50,000 if

we can budget other expenses to $10,000.

However, it is not clear if the $20,000 PP includes tips, taxes and fees.

Thanks all of you for the tips so far. Other ideas would be appreciated.

HAL's website is showing taxes, fees, and port expenses as an extra $2130.16 each. The 2016 World Voyage is going to India that requires a fairly expensive visa and there will likely be some smaller ones added to your onboard account.

I received an e-mail yesterday from a large online travel agency showing that certain ocean view cabins have pre-paid gratuities. There was no mention of inside cabins.

Edited by Scrapnana

• 2 weeks later...

Just off Oceania Insignia 71 days. Booked through a discount cruise agency. Agent told me 5% m/l customary agent OBC. I received enough OBC to pay $15 daily service charge.We also received full benefits package which included air, ship transfers both ways, pre night at Ritz in Shanghai, full laundry inc. pressing and all Visas. Two special excursions. One FREE internet act. Had one of smaller outside cabins.Service and food top notch.Excellent events. Booked this for ports, food and less sea days. Had been on O before. I was very satisfied with value on this cruise. We shopped several agencies.

Edited by zoncom

• 3 months later...
HAL's website is showing taxes, fees, and port expenses as an extra $2130.16 each. The 2016 World Voyage is going to India that requires a fairly expensive visa and there will likely be some smaller ones added to your onboard account.

I received an e-mail yesterday from a large online travel agency showing that certain ocean view cabins have pre-paid gratuities. There was no mention of inside cabins.

India was dropped as many complained about the expensive visa for 1 not so stellar port.

Only category F cabins which are ocean view and above have prepaid gratuities plus luggage shipment.

Edited by take us away

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to discounting there is a difference to the cruise line reducing its price and a TA selling the cruise below what the cruise line does. In almost all cases Cruise Line forbid agents from selling cruises below the lowest price they advertise. However, most TA's allow TA's to offer amenities, such as on board discounts, rebates etc for booking a cruise and for a world cruise some agents offer significant amenities.

Keith

When it comes to discounting there is a difference to the cruise line reducing its price and a TA selling the cruise below what the cruise line does. In almost all cases Cruise Line forbid agents from selling cruises below the lowest price they advertise. However, most TA's allow TA's to offer amenities, such as on board discounts, rebates etc for booking a cruise and for a world cruise some agents offer significant amenities.

Keith

For HAL, the "amenities" can include On-Board-Credit which, if not used, is refundable to the cruiser at the end of the cruise. So it is actually the same as a reduced cruise price.

Scott & Karen