Flight time home from Houston

Lorabelle

Our ship is supposed to return to Galveston at 7 AM. The latest flight out of Houston (IAH) is 11:35 AM. Do you think there would be enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport by 10:15 or so? I know that would be cutting it pretty close, even if we're one of the first ones off the ship. I have no idea what the port situation is like in Galveston.

Opinions on whether I should chance it, or stay the night and fly out the next morning?

Lori

What ship? What day? Where are you flying to? IAH is 1.5 to 2 hours away from Galveston. You need to be at the airport 1.5 to 2 hours before your flight (even earlier if it is an International flight). Especially during the week, this could be a big problem since traffic in Houston is bad, you'd have a better chance of making it on the weekends. If you want to try for it, then you should plan on self-disembarking and having private transportation waiting to take you to the port - don't rely on a shuttle service, cruiseline transfers, or a rental car.

Our ship is supposed to return to Galveston at 7 AM. The latest flight out of Houston (IAH) is 11:35 AM. Do you think there would be enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport by 10:15 or so? I know that would be cutting it pretty close, even if we're one of the first ones off the ship. I have no idea what the port situation is like in Galveston.

Opinions on whether I should chance it, or stay the night and fly out the next morning?

Lori

Lori you will be cutting it very very close. I think you have a better than 50/50 chance of missing checkin for this flight. We in Tomball which the same distance as IAH from Galveston but on the West side of I-45 as opposed to the east where the airport is. In three cruises from Galveston we have never arrived home before 10:30 AM. Now if we were motivated by making a flight perhaps we could beat that but so many things could go wrong from delays clearing port to traffic problems that there just isn't any way to say it can be done with confidence.

If you can come up with some type of back-up plan perhaps it is worth the risk but I would try to find another option if possible. If you could fly out of Hobby airport (HOU) for example, an 11:30 flight would be very doable.

Unless you can get off the ship ASAP I think you are cutting it very close. I am a part-time limo driver and I have made IAH from the cruise terminal in Galveston in 75 minutes with no traffic on a Sunday morning, but you never know. Hobby is the better choice. I do alot of runs with people having 11am-12pm flights out of Hobby. Most of my IAH runs have flights leaving after noon.

Archived