Carnival guest list..drivers license numbers?!???!

Hey ladies,

I'm getting married 8/3/12 on the Carnival Imagination. We are sending out invites and it just occurred to me after rereading the contract paperwork that I need to have all non-sailing guests driver license or passport numbers for the final list. Do I really need those numbers? It seems very personal to ask guests. Anyone have guests that had a problem with this? Please help!!

Hey ladies,

I'm getting married 8/3/12 on the Carnival Imagination. We are sending out invites and it just occurred to me after rereading the contract paperwork that I need to have all non-sailing guests driver license or passport numbers for the final list. Do I really need those numbers? It seems very personal to ask guests. Anyone have guests that had a problem with this? Please help!!

Unfortunately, yes it is very important to get this information!! It is for customs in order for your non-sailing guests to get on board for the wedding, without this information, they will not be permitted onboard from what I have read. I have read where other brides have had trouble getting this information out of people and had to kindly let these guests know that if they do not want to provide the information, they cannot attend the wedding and they will be missed.

Yes and full names that match the drivers license. I also needed birthdays. So on RSVP cards I put in blanks for people to list them, also send a separate note. If someone doesn't/won't provide these, they WILL NOT be able to go on the cruise ship. There is also a deadline, I think it was one month before the wedding. I was calling people that day to get their information because 40% of them didn't provide it.

We had only one guest refuse to come to the wedding because he was paranoid about giving over his drivers license #. But anyone who means something to you shouldn't have a problem, this is is something we all had/have to do. I also noted it was due to Homeland Security (this is what my coordinator told me). Not because of the cruise line.

• 3 weeks later...

My soon-to-be MIL is upset over the DL # part...She told me I could just wait and she would give it to me just before the wedding, I reminded her as kindly as I could that I have a deadline. Now, I just found out when I called to schedule my tour that I will have to have it for on that too. I had invited her to go on the tour but now I'm hoping she forgets because she made me so uncomfortable about asking for it to put on the guest list...I am sure it will be an issue for this too. Oh well, not much I can do. I have so few people coming I am telling most in person and I am making a note of it on my web site and also on the paperwork I am enclosing with the actual invitation.

• 1 month later...

Carnival does require this info. It's really not a big deal. I sent out a mass email to everyone that rsvp'd yes and asked them for the info that I needed to fill out the paperwork. Everyone is so excited to be going to a cruise wedding that they would have given me their first born ;)

• 2 weeks later...
What happens if you have a non driver who is of age to drive? I know they require the DL of all sailing guests of age, but I have a relative who does not drive. I have another who is older who has reliquished her licence to the state What then????

My sister-in-law can't drive due to a medical condition and has an ID issued by the state DMV which is accepted as ID anyplace a DL would be. She recently used it to fly to and from HI and on a cruise in HI. (I can't remember if it was HAL or NCL)

I've attended weddings on two ships (different lines) as a non-cruising guest and both time had to provide DL or PP info and surrender one or the other of those ID's prior to boarding. They were returned when we got off before the ship sailed. Make sure the guests know this little tidbit as well so they can be prepared.

• 6 months later...
My soon-to-be MIL is upset over the DL # part...She told me I could just wait and she would give it to me just before the wedding, I reminded her as kindly as I could that I have a deadline. Now, I just found out when I called to schedule my tour that I will have to have it for on that too. I had invited her to go on the tour but now I'm hoping she forgets because she made me so uncomfortable about asking for it to put on the guest list...I am sure it will be an issue for this too. Oh well, not much I can do. I have so few people coming I am telling most in person and I am making a note of it on my web site and also on the paperwork I am enclosing with the actual invitation.

Thanks for the info in this thread. If anyone gives me a hard time about this, they can stay home. And that applies to my dad, my aunt, my cousin, etc. :) It's supposed to be a happy occasion.

• 2 months later...

I ALMOST forgot about this.. I need to put this on my Invites.. Im having a Wedding meeting with Everyone B 4 my Bridal Shower Starts and I will make sure that its done..No info NO GO! its thats easy.. Its not OUR Rules.. Cruising Guest have there important info already in the System... It will be ok. But glad I came across this Reminder :)

• 2 months later...

On the front of the card after 16, the next line begins with a strange character, hope you removed it. The language sounds good, if you want to really motivate the guests, I suggest telling them Homeland Security requires it, not the Port of Tampa, as others have suggested.

Thanks! I didn't see that random letter! Luckily I haven't had them printed yet. :)

I will probably change it back to dept of homeland security. It just sounded so official and scary lol. But, I'm already having a hard time getting my fmils DL number for our site inspection so I can see this process is going to be a pain. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Does anybody know if the DL info is still needed when doing the wedding on island? Therefore ALL guests are sailing. :confused:

This is what I want to know... If they are all sailing, Carnival would already have all that information right?

What do they need if my 15 and 4 year old nephews are non sailing?

I was told that a birth certificate was needed for the minors, or if they have passports that is ok as well, but you would just need to have their full names and DOBs when submitting your final guest list.

So far, I've tried to have fun with it and told everyone that "we are important enough people that we need to have Homeland Security as our wedding bouncers" and we can't allow anyone in that hasn't been cleared beforehand.

So far we haven't really had anyone protest it or state any issues with us needing the information. We only had one person ask about it and we just told them that the wedding is on board the ship, after it has already been searched and cleared by customs. And since it is onboard the ship, everyone has to go through the customs process, which is relatively simple and everyone in our group will get VIP, priority through the process so it should be quick and painless.

And the other thing I've found is that when you clarify that you need birthdate and drivers license number, but not social security number. We had one person question needing SSN, even though we never said anything about SSN. Once we clarified that we DO NOT need SSN, just birthdate and DL, they were like, "oh, well that's not bad at all".

Archived