Happy 100th!!

Richard in Panama

We live in a throw-away society. How long does your toaster work? How long do you keep any electronic device? Use it ... works a while then quits, and you throw it away. Yet here is this engineering marvel that stunned the world when it opened 100 years ago today, and it is still working 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It has survived wars, invasions, dictators and still works as designed bringing the world together! Amazing! Happy Anniversary Canal de Panama!

Now ...

molene.jpg

August 14, 1914

anconshi.jpg

PC100.jpg

[1913 is the date of construction of the control house - the first transit was 1914]

Regards, Richard

banner-eng.jpg

So true Richard.

Imagine there will be some kind of big celebration down there today?

Our family goes back generations working for the Canal. Grandfather went down during construction in 1908. Amazing to see it still operates pretty much like it did from the beginning. Panama has made many improvements and I hope to get down there to see the new locks and how they'll operate with tugs vs locomotives. Very exciting.

I understand Canal 13 has some kind of program on tonight about where most of us "Zonians" ended up. I did see cameras at the reunion last month and hopefully they'll portray us in a good light.....

Thanks for the pictures on this historical day!

Wow! Almost slipped by me, you would think I didn't know what an important day it was!! Certainly the Canal is a testament to something that is enduring, at a hundred years young, it looks like there are many more years to follow. Happy Birthday!!