Oh dear....luggage in the drink!

Theodorable

Our office is just about right at Canada Place and one of my co-workers, whose office faces the harbour and the ships, has just spent an interesting few minutes watching dock workers trying to fish a suitcase out of the water that somehow missed the hoist/conveyor belt. They even through in a life belt to try to draw the suitcase to the side! It was eventually recovered but....ugh!

As this is an Alaska cruise, someone is going to be very unhappy to have all their heavy stuff soaking wet!

We saw the same thing happen at Port Canaveral.

We were standing on our balcony watching them load luggage. They had it piled so high in the bin that when the fork lift tried to slide it into the ship TWO suitcases went straight into the water......:eek:

One of the workers, looked up, saw us watching, just laughed, shrugged his shoulders and went back to "fishing" for the luggage....:eek:

I would think the cruise line would do the right thing if this happened. I am guessing they offered to dry clean/launder/press everything in the bag and offered compensation for anything that was possibly ruined.

Just a guess

I sure would hope so, and would probably be surprised if they did.

I would think the cruise line would do the right thing if this happened. I am guessing they offered to dry clean/launder/press everything in the bag and offered compensation for anything that was possibly ruined.

Just a guess

I've known of this to happen when a pallet of luggage when in the water in San Diego. All the luggage was taken care of - except the suitcase that contained smuggled booze. As that suitcase violated policy that passenger received dirty, soggy clothes.

Ah, another person who didn't tip the porter....those "no tipping" signs at Canada Place are meaningless.;)

We saw the same thing happen in San Diego on Christmas Eve while on the Oosterdam. Three bags went into the drink, two sank and the other one was recovered by lowering a ships boat as we left the pier. We had a cabin right above the ship's boat and I had to ask the two officer cadets that were sent to fetch the bag if they ever thought this is something they would be doing on Christmas Eve...they laughed. Later in the evening I met one of the couples who had lost a bag and they said that the cruise line was doing what they could to come up with some clothes for them.

Edited by Putterdude

Seen worse reported here.

In New Orleans some type of oil hose broke loose. Contaminated whole cages of luggage.

They were loading the Carnival Elation. February 2012.

Edited by SadieN

I will be more careful in the future to use plastic packing cubes and put a set of clothing in my carry-on.

We always carry a change of clothing in our carryons. Airlines can lose luggage in addition to cruise lines losing it, not only in the drink but also sometimes loading it on the wrong ship.