Days Gone By - Enjoy!

Iamthesea

Take a look at this slideshow and think about the photos when complaining about casual versus formal wear. lol Although I am not a "jeans" fan, I sure am glad that we don't have to dress up like these past passengers. Can you imagine having to walk around a hot ship in some of these outfits? :eek:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/stunning-vintage-photos-show-how-glamorous-cruise-ships-used-to-be/ss-AAiXLpU?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U142DHP

Beautiful ships, though! ;)

We took the tour of the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA last week and the guide stressed that first-class passengers on such ships in the Golden Age of Ocean Liners were expected to have five (count 'em -- five!) different outfits PER DAY for the entire crossing. [This was the women, I assume; men could get by with a dark suit, black tie, and white tie? I've got some Scots blood, so maybe I could finesse the entire crossing in a Black Watch kilt -- except for the drafts up me sporran :eek:] Anyway, while he was talking I thought about the "pack light" threads on Cruise Critic where women claim to travel for weeks on end with only a carry-on -- clearly not the same universe as these pictures!

LOL

And here are some photos that I took while on the Summit earlier this month. There is a small gallery set up to honor the the SS Normandie , the ocean liner. Correct me if I am wrong about the name of that ship. :rolleyes:

1. Out for their morning 5 mile walk around the track

2. Taking in the sunset

3. Looks like they had chair hogs back then. Forced others to the decking!

4. The menus of today look far better and offer much more variety! Why do we have all the complaints, today?

IMG_5081.jpg.b837252751b1ac6c92d6852ad6ea751d.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg.8fb06189c12fec6a05090060122d6db7.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg.af5a35d81cf521b3515016502e020e07.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg.3a9d8e2a9a532c7ba65d0ac8bf8d5eaf.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea

Remember, cruising then was only for the privileged few.

Not exactly. "Cruising" didn't really exist. Those ships were liners, built for transport like air liners today. Yes, the wealthy took pleasure trips, but the vast majority of passengers were down in the lower class bunks.

The slide show was lovely, but with the possible exception of a few photos from the 60s, these showed travel on ocean liners, not cruise ships. I noticed a dearth of pics if life in steerage. There's no doubt first class passengers had quite luxurious experiences though. I envy the number of steamer trunks the ladies would have had to hold the extensive wardrobe they brought with them. The good old days, before airlines and luggage fees.

Not exactly. "Cruising" didn't really exist. Those ships were liners, built for transport like air liners today. Yes, the wealthy took pleasure trips, but the vast majority of passengers were down in the lower class bunks.

Correct but we don't have anything else to compare it to.

With the World Series starting tonight, check out pictures of the fans in the stands. Almost all the men were in suits and women all dressed up and this was every game.

Edited by dkjretired

Take a look at this slideshow and think about the photos when complaining about casual versus formal wear. lol Although I am not a "jeans" fan, I sure am glad that we don't have to dress up like these past passengers. Can you imagine having to walk around a hot ship in some of these outfits? :eek:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/stunning-vintage-photos-show-how-glamorous-cruise-ships-used-to-be/ss-AAiXLpU?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U142DHP

Beautiful ships, though! ;)

Thanks, really enjoyed!

We were on Cunard a couple of weeks ago, its only changed slightly!

But there again, we like 'Dressing Up', and frankly, the food and service excelled. The photo of the telephonist brought back memories, my wife's job before our children arrived, but on terra firma!

Are the Cunard ships really that dressy, now?

We have considered the crossings to get back and forth to Europe. But have no desire to "dress to the nines", anymore.

More or less, there are still formal nights, and the rest of the time a jacket and tie optional. If you wanted to stay casual you were limited to the buffet and one lounge. Most seem to go by the rules, we had a large Japanese group on board, and several of the ladies wore the traditional dress on formal nights, and were very impressive.

Back in the 50's, men wore suits all day, every day, except for weekends, when they wore sports jackets! Women wore dresses EVERY DAY....stockings, hats....lordy!

.......and girdles.:eek: I remember my mother saying that a lady NEVER left the house without her girdle on. I rarely saw her in slacks. Sheesh, she even did the housework in a dress.

The slide show was lovely, but with the possible exception of a few photos from the 60s, these showed travel on ocean liners, not cruise ships. I noticed a dearth of pics if life in steerage. There's no doubt first class passengers had quite luxurious experiences though. I envy the number of steamer trunks the ladies would have had to hold the extensive wardrobe they brought with them. The good old days, before airlines and luggage fees.

........and TSA!

.......and girdles.:eek: I remember my mother saying that a lady NEVER left the house without her girdle on. I rarely saw her in slacks. Sheesh, she even did the housework in a dress.

It took me years to get used to the fact that women don't wear pantyhose any more. It still looks totally wrong to see women in formal dresses with bare legs! Times do change.