Renting a Harley? Good or bad idea?

bitsey66

In port for a day in November. We are avid riders and are thinking about renting a bike and seeing Belize that way. Is this a good or bad idea. Is it safe to see the island on our own? I seem to recall reading somewhere (not here) about Belize being unsafe outside the normal port/excursions.

Thoughts, opinions, recommendations etc are welcomed and appreciated!

You should probably have a destination in mind. There's really not a lot to see along the major routes except highway. You'll encounter major truck and vehicle traffic and the area going out of Belize from the H-D Rental(Black Pearl) isn't the best. So not really a place to open up and let the cycles sing.

Basically out of Belize City you have the Western Highway (which what the road the BlackPearl HD is on turns into) and the Northern Highway, which heads out to the airport. The Western Highway will take you to the Belize Zoo and the Monkey Sanctuary or continue to the capital Belmopan and beyond to San Ignacio and Xunantunich. You can branch off just past the zoo to the Coastal Highway and head toward Dangriga. But I doubt you'll get that far based on time.

Along the Northern Highway you can go to Ladyville, home of the Belikin brewery. There's a wildlife sanctuary further up and Altun Ha is along the old Northern Highway that branches off to the right past Sand Hill.

Where ever you head, be sure to monitor the time and leave yourself at least 15 minutes from the cycle rental to the Tourism Village tender pier on return.

Thank you for the reply crewsweeper. Sounds like you know Belize pretty well. From what I've been reading it doesn't seem like there's much to do or no real good beaches?? Of course I'm sure it depends on ones preferences. We love beaches and nice scenic rides, good food and drinks, but won't want to sit and party while driving. The monkey sanctuary sounds pretty cool, but again, want to ride.