Who thinks Carnival should dump Costa Rica?

markandstacie00

Hat's off to Costa Rica! Muggings happen in Miami also but if you choked a mugger in Miami I doubt you would be boarding your ship later that day. More likely you would be in jail under investigation for violating the mugger's rights.

Why?? If they do that, they should dump every other port that has had a problem... which would be ALL of them... they should also stop sailing from NYC, Miami, Galveston, NOLA, heck... all ports. I could see if this had happened many times, but come on... this could have happened anywhere. Do you really think this couldn't happen in Roatan????? Happens everywhere... just don't be naive, and be aware of your surroundings. A little common sense goes a long way.

Don't F., um no , mess with seniors. I applaud the man for doing what he had to do. OK maybe not the killing but, I'm sure he acted on instinct. I'm also glad that he was able to go free. Most popular guy on the cruise now. I bet no one messes with his drinks. :D

Better to dump New Orleans. Twenty-nine murders so far this year and the police admit they're in dire straits.

29 nurders an dnot one of them a visitor on vacation. 90% of them are drug dealers and gangs killing eachother. each week conventions with 10,000 people are more are held in new orleans and none of them have had any major problems. On Mardi Gras there were over 2 million people out on the streets ( an extimated 700,000 of them visitors) and none were killed. If you are not a drug dealer or gang member I don't think you will have a problem in New Orleans.

I love Jamaica, I loved Costa Rica.

Pretty much, every place we have been "warned" not to go to...We have.

I'll admit that the first time I went to Jamaica I was terrified. I wanted to turn around and go straight back to the ship. But a young man named Gerald offered his cab to us. My husband agreed, but he had to drag me. I was not down with this at all! Gerald turned to me and said, "you got to trust somebody, sometime. We spent an amazing day with him!

In Montego Bay we were hassled, cab drivers fought over us, shop employees cursed at us when we didn't buy from them. Tired of all that, we headed down a street where we were told, "don't go down there...it is dangerous place." But we went anyway. What did we find? Working folks, just like us. Women in the market, children walking home from school, a woman with no teeth who offered my husband (who asked what she was eating) a bite of the Jamaican Apple she had. A man who offered me one, and would not take a penny. A young man who went into the straw market with us, and kept poeple from being too pushy (just by putting his hand up) A man who drove us anywhere we wanted, all over town, even to his own house. This man was a young, married, father who lived in a run down shack. He took us to to a large white building with bars all around it, and told us, "come, I want to show you the abandoned children." What we found inside? A state run home for the beautiful orphans of that city. Well cared for, and healthy. I was told by another man that, Louis (our driver) came there often...to fix things, and hold the children. Another amazing, gratifying day spent with the true Jamaican people.

In Costa Rica we also had a wonderful time. We walked all over town, sat in a local bar and talked with a man who kept buying us beers. We played street soccer for at least an hour with 4 little boys, while theirs mothers watched...and undoubtedly laughed at how ridiculous we looked.

I don't think I'm tempting fate. I have a genuine concern, and interest in the people, not just the tourist attractions. Maybe we have been lucky, but I truely believe that there are way more good people on this earth than there are bad. We hear so much about the bad that we are afraid to open ourselves to the experiences that are waiting to change our perception.

I wish everyone a safe, and wonderful cruise! No matter wheere you go.

Maybe after this weeks violence, Roatan would be a better choice in the area.

Costa Rica didn't seem to be as dangerous as many other ports I've been to. I saw the greatest potential for problems in Panama and more armed locals in Jamaica. Miami is likely more dangerous than all three combined, and the danger there can come from any direction.

We can't go through life avoiding areas that are potentially dangerous; we just have to be aware of what potential exists and alert for any signs that danger is imminent.

If anyone really should learn a lesson from this weeks 'violence' in Costa Rica, it is the thugs who would do harm to apparently helpless tourists. As the Costa Rican thugs learned, appearances can be deceiving! :)

Just watched an interesting 20/20 last night about the fear factor the media sends us. Seems to be working.

How many pax have been at how many ports with no incidents?? And then, this morning, they had it (the incidnet in Limon) on the news again, and also brought up a bus with pax in it that overturned on a road in some other country, killing the pax (I think from Celebrity).

I certainly won't stop cruising. In fact, DH and I are planning on a very long cruise around South America in 2008. Gee, should we nix that idea? Don't think so!

The news also put in a plug for taking ship's excursions. Fear factor again. If you don't do a ship's excursion, which the cruise line has thoroughly checked out, you could be in dire straits. Give me a break. We were on a cruise line bus and got completely lost in downtown Tijuana and then took the wrong ramp at border patrol. The driver had to back down the ramp with barely an inch or two on either side of the bus. Bad things can happen whether you are on a cruise line excursion or on one of your own.

Way to go, 70-year-old man!

Shay

The news also said this morning that Carnival has decided to temporarily suspending stops in Limon.

If that's true then I think that Carnival has made a mistake. This was one incident that could have happened at any port. If there was a string of muggings then maybe I could see them questioning to drop or keep the port of call.

I have read comments about Jamaica above. I have been there six times on cruise ships and have never had a problem. Yes the locals can sometimes be a little aggressive but a simple "no thanks" and keep on walking has always worked for me. It is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean and definitely the best of the western IMHO.

Archived