LEGEND 6/6 - 6/14 REVIEW (long)

Hello Everyone!!!

Just got back from the 6/6 sailing of the legend from NYC to the southern caribbean. The first thing that comes to my mind is WOW. We had a fantastic time!! We were in cabin 8232 which had an extra deep and extra wide baclony. (the balcony was the size of 3 extra deep balconies) We sailed on the Dawn last may, and this is the only other ship I can compare anything to. Without a doubt, I'll be sailing with Carnival over Norwegian again.

The only thing that I found that could use a little improvement (and this is not a complaint) would be embarkation. We got there around noon. Upon arrival, there were already people waiting to board. Our only problem was that we couldn't get a straight answer from the people at the terminal as to where we were supposed to be. There were people being shuffled upstairs, to chairs in the center on the bottom floor, to a line on the left, and a line on the right. One woman actually yelled at us and a group of a few other people and shuffled us off to the line on the left (after someone else told us NOT to go there) But this wasn't Carnival's doing, it was the NYC port authority workers. Once we got through the 4 seperate lines (2 hours later) we finally got on the ship.

We were told our room would probably not be ready when we boarded, but it was, so we settled in and then headed out to check out the rest of the ship. Our stateroom steward was David...wonderful guy. My boyfriend and I swear he's like batman or something. When we are looking for him for something we usually poke our head out the door to see if he is out there first, and if he's not, then we call him. The funny thing is, the call goes to his pager and then before we even hang up the phone, he's knocking at our door....EVERY TIME. lol. David was great. :)

The food on the ship was fantastic!! We enjoyed every meal. We ate in Truffles every night...except for the one night we went to The Golden Fleece. We went on the night we were in Tortola, which happened to work out well because we didn't think the Truffles menu sounded too tempting. The Golden Fleece, in our opion, is well worth every cent. The service is incredible and the food was exceptional!! It's a beautiful restaurant and we highly recommend it.

(continued)

We checked out these boards a lot before our cruise and read that a lot of people weren't too fond of the cruise director. Brett Alans. We loved him. He was always entertaining, and full of energy. The one person that left much to be desired was Yo Richie. We found him rather annoying.

All of the public areas were beautiful, well maintined and clean. The urns were a little odd at first, but we got used to them very quickly.

San Juan was beautiful. We did the Bacardi tour, and thought it was ok. We thought we would get to take a tour of the distillery or the something. But is was more like a museum than anything. But you got to sample different types of Bacardi, and the grounds were beautiful.

In St. Thomas we ended up doing the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel (In lieu of Kon Tiki b/c it was in for repairs) This was an excellent excursion. Lots of fun!!!

In Tortola we went to Lambert Beach. What a beautiful island!! The beach was beautiful. Half of the fun was just getting there and back. lol lol.

I don't want to make this review too long or boring. So, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to share my experience with you!!!!

:)

I'm so glad you liked your cabin. We've had that cabin 2 times and think it is the best.Who were your waiters for dinner? And I agree with the Golden Fleece,it is great and well worth the money.

Laura

DAYTON-

Lambert Beach was great. It's on the other side of the mountains in Tortola. It is actually a resort. There's the beach, a large pool with swim up bar, and there is also a restaurant, bar, gift shop and villas (for people that vacation there). Included in the price of the excursion through Carnival is a lunch buffet at the resort. It includes salad, ribs, chicken, rice, etc. It was delicious. :) one side note- a lot of people didn't know that we were allowed to use the pool. After spending some time at the beach, we spent the rest of the day in the pool with a few other people (it was pretty empty by most standards) But like I said before, getting there and back is half the fun. Since Tortola is pretty much a huge mountain, your 'experienced and safe' tour guide takes you up narrow roads and steep hills that hang on the edge of cliffs that drop straight down. lol....it was really a blast.

LAURA

Our waiters at dinner were Mr. D and Sampson. They were great. Table 202. Did u have the same??

Wonderwomen, Thanks so much for your review, but never think it is too long, and it cannot be too boring!! I am very excited by your review as I have never seen anyone discuss that room. We are sailing in 2 weeks and have the room right under you, 7258. We were afraid it might be too noisy from above so we took the floor below. Did you find it noisy from above or from the rear of the ship? What furniture did you have on the balcony? Do you have any idea what the empty space is next to your room? If you were upgraded to a 9a would you take it?

What did you do with the rest of your time in San Juan? If you were to do the Bicardi tour again would you do it through the ship or get a taxi on your own and do it. Was the slide open?

From anything you heard from other cruisers, are you happy with the excursion you took in Tortola or would have rather gone to Virgin Gorda?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer and really happy you had such a great cruise!!!

funduo:

Our balcony was awesome!! There was so much space. We had a few of our cc friends stop by, and at one point there were about 20 of us on the balcony with plenty of room to spare. I will try and post a link to the pics at the bottom of my reply (I can't promise it will work though..lol) Our balcony had 2 lounge chairs, 2 chairs that recline back, a regular chair, and a little foot rest/table. I was a little concerned about the noise from above....but it slipped my mind until the 2nd to last night when we heard what sound like something rolling across the floor above. It wasn't a big deal though. Unless you are really paying attention and looking for something to complain about, it will go in one ear and right out the other.

Our cabin was a cat 8i. We chose the room beacuse of the balcony. I love to lay out there and relax (one of my favorite parts of the trip). If i could upgrade to a 9a I'd consider it. It's all a matter of preference though. If you want a larger room and a regular balcony, I'd go for it. If you enjoy the balcony (like I do) and having lounge chairs on your own balconythen I'd stay right where you are.

P.S...the 'empty space' is the elevator shafts.

After Bacardi we went back to the ship to drop off the things we purchased, and then headed out to Senor Frogs with some of the people from our role call board. It was a blast. My boyfriend and I are a bit leary of taking tours on our own or through someone other than Carnival. So, to answer your question, No we wouldn't go in a cab by ourselves. We'd take the excursion again.

Yes the waterslide was open! :)

Tortola is such a beautiful place, I am sure any excursion would have been great. We liked the one we took because it had the best of both worlds. It was a sightseeing tour (on the way there and back), you could hang out on a beautiful beach all day, or relax in/by the pool, and the serve you a nice caribbean lunch buffet before you head back to the ship. We loved it. :) The fresh water pool is a nice change from all of the salt water pools on the ship and the salt in the ocean.

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Jill,

Thanks so much for your quick response. The lounges you had, were they like the lounges from around the pool, or the typical short balcony ones?

You might want to think twice about booking your own excursions. Depending on where you are and how much time you have, for instance in Grand Caymen, Captain Marvin is the same company Carnival uses and charges twice as much. In St. Thomas we rented a 50' sailboat which will hold up to 14 for a personal 7 hour excursion for less than 1/2 of what Carnival charges for a 4 hour one. They are usually more personal, less crowded and cheaper and just as much or even more fun than Carnival excursions. Now in Belieze for instance I would never risk something done outside of Carnival. Keeping track on these boards gives you a lot of information about outside excursions. These people are usually very aware of ship sailing time and have backup contingencies to insure you get back to ship on time, but I would only use one where CC members here highly recommend it.

I did not get your link to the pictures, if you would like, email it to me at harvey@cruisemementos.com

Thanks again so much for your help!!

Wonderwoman: How was the ride to and from the resort in Tortola - some reviews have said it is pretty wild. Is it safe? Sounds like a nice excursion but we are concerned about the drive as we have read it is on narrow roads.

Jakeman:

The ride is completly safe. It's just a little different than what us new yorkers are used to. The entire island is a mountain, so big inclines should be expected. It's a lot of fun though, and there are a lot of opportunities for some amazing pictures.

Funduo:

The lounge chairs on our baclony were the same as the ones by the pool.

I anticipate posting the rest of my pictures today if anyone is interested

Wonderwoman -- We are retired folks in our active 70's. We sail Princess and HAL, with Princess our favorite. In your opinion, will we enjoy a Carnival Cruise? We are looking at the Legend in Jan. We are not stuffy folks, by any means, but will we put a damper on a dinner table if the table is filled with young folks? How about tables for 2, which is always our preference. We have traveled extensively, and have now discovered cruising. Mostly we cruise for the cruise experience. I like the itinerary on the Jan. sailing of the Legend.

Katy: What I loved about Carnival was the mix of people. The were young, old, middle aged, newlyweds, etc. I don't think you would put a damper at all on your table. My b/f is 30 and I am 25. We were seated at a table with one other couple which was a little older than us. The problem was not their age, but the fact that they weren't very pleasant people. From what I understand, the Maitre' D seats you with people similar in age.

I think you will have a wonderful time on the Legend. There is always plenty to do and lots to see. We haven't tried princess or HAL, but were possibly thinking of princess sometime in the far distant future (after we take another carnival cruise :D ) What is the crowd like there?

Jill - Princess passengers are also mixed age groups. I like Princess very much, especially the Personal Choice dining option. We are not crazy about traditional dining....too restrictive. The ships are beautiful and quite upbeat. Duty free shops carry the best merchandise...lots of top of the line items. Food is good and there are so many options for activities. We took a European Cruise on the Golden Princess and I was concerned that I would be bored and restless with 5 consecutive sea days. NOT!! You just can't get bored on a Grand Class ship. I also like HAL (specifically the Volendam), but I think that you would find the passengers older and a bit stuffy. Even us "old folks" find that to be the case sometimes. But nonetheless, it's also a great cruise line. Ships are elegant, food is very good and believe it or not, we saw the best cruise show ever on the Volendam. I thank you very much for answering my question. I found an 8 day cruise on the Legend and I like the itinerary. So, thanks to you, I will probably book it.

Archived