Doing it... going solo in December

Hossa18

Hey all,

After at least three and a half years of pondering and consideration, I'm finally diving in. I'll be voyaging for New Year's on Carnival Destiny, and it'll actually be my first cruise ever. I wanted to get some friends to go along, but it looks like they probably won't be able to do so. Though the word in the forum is that going solo is almost the ONLY way to go. I love meeting new people and having my own schedule, and not having to answer to anyone. I'm looking forward to a memorable time!

Teej

Hey all,

After at least three and a half years of pondering and consideration, I'm finally diving in. I'll be voyaging for New Year's on Carnival Destiny, and it'll actually be my first cruise ever. I wanted to get some friends to go along, but it looks like they probably won't be able to do so. Though the word in the forum is that going solo is almost the ONLY way to go. I love meeting new people and having my own schedule, and not having to answer to anyone. I'm looking forward to a memorable time!

Teej

You will have a fabulous time in fact December was the month that I took my first solo cruise I had an awesome time. I forgot Home, Work and School. I partied like a rock star.

You will have the time of your life I guarantee it.

You will have the time of your life I guarantee it.

I don't doubt it for a second! At first the thought of going alone was a bit shaky for me, and I really haven't told many people about it yet (seeing as it's nine months off), but after reading numerous forums, the general consensus is that it's going to rock. The thought of having my own time to do things is very appealing to me, and I can't wait for the experience.

As far as partying like a rock star, I plan to have lots of fun, but also the thought of being at sea in December where I can kick back is just as appealing to me!

I don't doubt it for a second! At first the thought of going alone was a bit shaky for me, and I really haven't told many people about it yet (seeing as it's nine months off), but after reading numerous forums, the general consensus is that it's going to rock. The thought of having my own time to do things is very appealing to me, and I can't wait for the experience.

As far as partying like a rock star, I plan to have lots of fun, but also the thought of being at sea in December where I can kick back is just as appealing to me!

I got some pretty crazt comments from friends and family once they found out I was going on a cruise by myself. I must admit that at first I was really scared once I got aboard I really was kicking myslef because I felt so alone and out of place. It seemed as if everyone had a traveling partner except for me.

But I will never for get that once I had a talk with one of my friends should told me to be myself and start converations with people and after that I would be just fine. I did just that while getting lunch I started a conversation with a lady that was traveling with her friend I ate lunch with them in fact she promptly let every one know that I was traveling alone so after that everyone was like where are you going to be once we get off the ship u could hang with us if you like.

I made so many new friends in fact I am going to visit one friend next month and the other in May. I did sp much stuff that I would not normally do if I was home like singing karokee for example.

I will be on the Destiny in december this will be my second cruise I am not going solo this time because my god mother wanted to come but that is not going to stop me from partying til dawn.:D

I think a lot of people get put off a little bit if someone mentions they're going alone, and I think it's because they may be insecure about themselves that they "need" the company of their own friends if they go somewhere. My take is that you go on vacation to get AWAY from what's normal, and it's a chance to expand your horizons and network with new people, as the previous poster mentioned.

When you're with your group of friends, you're kinda obligated to spend time with them and it can hold you back from meeting new people (not always, obviously, but sometimes). To me, everyone on a cruise should be in "vacation" mode anyway and in a very good mood and is up for striking up conversations.

Have a great time, solo *is* the only way to go! Now only if the cruiselines would recognize that and charge usless!

I agree. Though going solo, I only need the smallest cabin possible, which is the 1A stateroom and I think they only charged 125%, rather than 150-200%.

I love those 1As, but for anything else, it's double. Plus very few lines outside of the CCL brand ships have a single rate.

I'd love to try a variety of different ships, but I can't justify spending 200% for a similar cruise on RCL or its sister ships.

I love those 1As, but for anything else, it's double. Plus very few lines outside of the CCL brand ships have a single rate.

I'd love to try a variety of different ships, but I can't justify spending 200% for a similar cruise on RCL or its sister ships.

Yeah, it's outrageous. I know Windjammer used to cater to solos and have singles themed cruises but from what I gather they are in dire financial straits and a lot of people that sailed are being screwed out of their money for canceled cruises.

Hey Hossa18. By any chance are you a Penguins fan? I'm a huge fan of the Pens, so much so that my sister and I are flying into Pittsburgh on Tuesday so we can attend the final regular season home game on Wednesday night. Been a Pens fan for a long time.

You will absolutely love cruising solo. It's so liberating and you can do as much or as little as you want. I've got my 53rd cruise coming up at the end of April, and I can't wait. I probably should live on a cruise ship.

Hey Hossa18. By any chance are you a Penguins fan? I'm a huge fan of the Pens, so much so that my sister and I are flying into Pittsburgh on Tuesday so we can attend the final regular season home game on Wednesday night. Been a Pens fan for a long time.

You will absolutely love cruising solo. It's so liberating and you can do as much or as little as you want. I've got my 53rd cruise coming up at the end of April, and I can't wait. I probably should live on a cruise ship.

I'm a die-hard Penguins fan! :D I've been a fan ever since moving to PA in 1990, so I've seen my share of good times in the 90s and not-so-good times after 2001 BC (Before Crosby). I went with two friends to this past Saturday's 7-1 rout of the Devils, what an incredible atmosphere. Me and about nine other friends are looking into going to one of the opening round home games (but holy hell, the going rates on eBay and StubHub are insane! Then again, the Pens are the most exciting team in hockey, hands down).

Enjoy the Penguins/Flyers next week. The Atlantic Division should be ours for the taking.

And thanks for the well-wishes on the cruise! :)

I agree. Though going solo, I only need the smallest cabin possible, which is the 1A stateroom and I think they only charged 125%, rather than 150-200%.

Hey I would take a broom closet if it meant I could pay less:D

I'd live in crew quarters if it meant being in the ship and sailing someplace!

I'm really looking forward to the experience. My only concern is finding people close to my age (I am 25 years old). Though I'm confident I'll be able to mingle with everyone.

yeah there should be. i've personally found that singles meet and greets are empty. I'll be sailing in about 22 days so I'll be interested to see how the singles scene is on this cruise. And hopefully I won't be ready to crash by that time either, since I'm flying in the night before

I've had luck just talking to people of all ages on the deck or waiting in line or whatever.

yeah there should be. i've personally found that singles meet and greets are empty. I'll be sailing in about 22 days so I'll be interested to see how the singles scene is on this cruise. And hopefully I won't be ready to crash by that time either, since I'm flying in the night before

I've had luck just talking to people of all ages on the deck or waiting in line or whatever.

Have a blast, let me know how your cruise goes!

My sis and I are insane Pens fans. When they had the auction of the Christmas stockings, the ones that the guys decorated, I purchased three of them, Max, Danny Sabourin and Marc Andre. My sister got Sid's. So how much are those tix going for? We're hoping the Pens make it to the Stanley Cup finals against the Red Wings because that's just a hop for us to Detroit. How cool would that be?

Back to your cruise, you shouldn't find it tough to meet up with people in your age bracket. New Year's should be a blast. The Destiny is a lovely ship---I've sailed on her two times, both out of NY. You will love the ship.

My sis and I are insane Pens fans. When they had the auction of the Christmas stockings, the ones that the guys decorated, I purchased three of them, Max, Danny Sabourin and Marc Andre. My sister got Sid's. So how much are those tix going for? We're hoping the Pens make it to the Stanley Cup finals against the Red Wings because that's just a hop for us to Detroit. How cool would that be?

Back to your cruise, you shouldn't find it tough to meet up with people in your age bracket. New Year's should be a blast. The Destiny is a lovely ship---I've sailed on her two times, both out of NY. You will love the ship.

We just got 10 tickets for Game 2, at $140 apiece, and they're all in the E balcony... though it's where the Pens shoot twice, and the opposite end for some reason, tickets were going for even more, so we thought this was a better deal. Igloo Club seats are going for over a grand. But I'm just happy we got our tickets locked up! The only other game we'd go to this year would be the Finals if they make it that far, and Pittsburgh/Detroit would be a hell of a matchup. They could even go the full seven games. But we'll see what happens. I live in central PA, so Pittsburgh is about three hours from here, not too bad.

New Year's should definitely be a prime time. That's one thing I'm absolutely looking forward to is capping off 2008 with a bang! And just being in warm tropical weather will be so refreshing. I'm sure I will be able to find something to do at all times of the day!

Yeah, I don't plan on doing anything in the cabin other than dressing, sleeping or bathing.

Thats all I do in the cabin any way. I was hardly in my on my last cruise I only averaged about 3 and half hours of sleep each night on the cruise so I know I don't require a lot of space and room.

Thats all I do in the cabin any way. I was hardly in my on my last cruise I only averaged about 3 and half hours of sleep each night on the cruise so I know I don't require a lot of space and room.

3 and a half hours? Wow... if I only slept 3 and a half hours after drinking and partying a long time, I'd be in rough shape... hehe, but then again, I'm probably going to be energetic and in a good mood anyway so I think I may be okay here! :)

dnice1979>>>I know that you would have a fantastic time with a friend who I met on my 11-day cruise. He is a gay in a relationship, but generally cruises solo. When we went on our cruise in December, he flew from Albuquerque just so he could meet me and fly to SJU for our cruise. I talked to him for 2 months prior to the cruise here on CC boards. We had a blast, although he never slept. He was always meandering here and there and doing anything that was fun for him. We are possibly going on another cruise together, this time sharing a cabin (since he isn't in it half the time, I don't mind). He goes on cruises at the drop of a hat! :D

Archived