USS Arizona Memorial Closed

Molokai-Chuck

Saw this article on-line today...

The USS Arizona Memorial will remain closed to visitors for several days after a tug boat collided with the memorial’s dock Wednesday morning, making it “not safe for people to land there,” a spokeswoman said.

A tug boat maneuvering the USNS Mercy hospital ship collided with the memorial’s mooring dock Wednesday morning, said Abby Wines, spokeswoman for the USS Arizona Memorial, which is part of the National Park Service.

"Initial visual assessments show that the dock was moved about 10 feet toward the Memorial," a statement from the National Park Service said. "A small area of concrete was damaged where the dock's ramp joined the Memorial. The dock's ramps and railings were also damaged.

The latest indicates that it will be closed until June 4th. The rest if the museum is open, but you will be unable to take a boat to the actual memorial.

It seems there hasn't yet been an announcement about whether or not the Arizona herself sustained any damage from this incident. Witnesses at the harbor heard metal scraping metal. But piers do have metal on them so hopefully that was all.

~Katy

They are taking people out on the launch, to about 100 ft of the memorial but really, it's just not the same. I hope they get it fixed sooner. Knowing the Navy the way I do, they are pretty slow to fix anything. HOWEVER, having the pressure I am sure they do over getting this fixed, all hands will be on deck to make it happen. Having the Secretary of Defense on board when something like this happens probably gives you some incentive to get it fixed.

The Honolulu Star Advertiser reports that the current estimate to reopen the Arizona Memorial is June 4th "if repairs go as expected" and that "the remains of the USS Arizona weren't damaged".

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Honolulu Star Advertiser reports that the current estimate to reopen the Arizona Memorial is June 4th "if repairs go as expected" and that "the remains of the USS Arizona weren't damaged".

Good news Astro. We were there a few weeks ago. It was so moving. I hope they get it back in order soon. I am sure lots of folks take tours just to see the Arizona Memorial. At least that was our reason.:):) The rest of Pearl Harbor was nice, but the AM was worth every minute we spent there.

Good news Astro. We were there a few weeks ago. It was so moving. I hope they get it back in order soon. I am sure lots of folks take tours just to see the Arizona Memorial. At least that was our reason.:):) The rest of Pearl Harbor was nice, but the AM was worth every minute we spent there.

Every visit to the Arizona Memorial is a very moving experience for me.

My first visit to Pearl Harbor was 30 years after the attack from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier arriving at sunrise. That was before the bridge to Ford Island was built & thus the ship circled Ford Island before docking across from the Arizona Memorial. It was an experience indelibly etched into my memory that I will never forget. After that I read the excellent book about the attack "At Dawn We Slept" (Tora, Tora, Tora was based on the book) to learn more about a date that will live in infamy.

During my last visit to the Arizona Memorial the gift shop sold folded flags that flew over the Memorial...if only briefly. They gave a certificate of authenticity with the date and time it flew over the Arizona Memorial and it's a treasured momento of the sacrifices made on that tragic day.

Apparently this alert about everyone in your party being there to get walk up tickets is something new.

New walk-in ticketing proceedure

All people in your party MUST be physically present to obtain same-day, walk-in tickets. Tickets will not be distributed for those not on site. This does not apply to tickets reserved in advance.

Visitor Center Walk-In Tickets: 1,300 walk-in tickets are available daily at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, which opens at 7:00 a.m. Tickets are free and available on a first come, first serve basis. Theses tickets are only available to visitors physically present at the time. All members of your party must be present to receive a walk-in ticket. If you would like walk-in tickets, please arrive early! If you arrive early enough to secure your own tickets, you may have a few hours to wait before your tour. The tour is 75-minutes long consisting of a 25-minute documentary film and a boat trip out to the Memorial.

We were there Memorial Day and it was moving to say the least. Looks like we just missed the accident.

We saw the big Mercy ship docked on the other side of the harbor from the memorial and she was loading lots of stuff and sailors as well. So we knew she was preparing to get under way.

Too bad but stuff happens........:o