Best beach for snorkeling without taking an excursion

jjh5351

Hi all, we're heading to St. Thomas in April and we were planning on taking an excursion with the cruise ship, but I think we're going to grab a taxi and just go to a beach. We really want to relax but be able to snorkel and see some marine life. I'm not concerned with seeing too much because I've snorkeled a lot and my husband is a first timer so he will be impressed by anything lol! A restaurant would be nice, and being able to rent chairs would be great too! I don't know how much a taxi would be or anything like that so I am just curious on what anyone who has been to St. Thomas before would recommend!

On our last cruise to St Thomas we took a cab to Sapphire Beach. Everything you are looking for is there with the exception of a large restaurant. There is a burger bar there however. For the snorkeling, great area just feet from shore to the right. If you swim further out in the bay you can see sea turtles. Plenty of taxis to take you to the beach and return. Check out the other threads for Sapphire Beach.

Ok great! That sounds perfect for us. We really don't need anything special as far as eateries, just somewhere to grab a bite and not pay an arm and a leg! Do you know about how much the can fares run?

Thank you! We are definitely in for sapphire beach now! Is this where many of the cruisers go or do they go elsewhere? I don't mind it being too crowded (I mean we are on a ship...) but I don't want everyone and their mom there lol

Magens, Lindbergh (aka Emerald), Morningstar and Coki will be the busiest (and Trunk Bay on St John). Sapphire gets cruisers as does Secret Harbor, but it doesn't get nearly as crowded. We stay at the Sapphire Resort (last month was our most recent stay) and Sapphire was nice even on big ship days. Some days will be busier of course, but there's room to spread out on busier days and plenty of shade. Secret Harbor is our second choice, nice little bay with a condo resort that is well-protected (dead calm water) but doesn't have the "character" or island views of Sapphire.

Archived