Can someone please explain iconcierge?

Kellyfkrc

You will use a dedicated iConcerge WiFi network. The app will give you the daily schedule, possibility to make reservations, etc.

Also if you are willing to pay $7.95 activation fee per device, you will get voice and text messaging functionality inside the app that allows you to call and receive calls from other iConcierge devices and regular ship phones while you are onboard.

I've never tried this part, but info from NCL (http://m.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge see also their pdf download) says you can make/receive calls to off-ship locations for a nominal fee. I haven't yet discovered if that fee is the same $2.49/min. you'd pay calling from your room.

posted from my N7 FHD via Tapatalk

When we were on the Breakaway last month, there was a sign in the room that said that the rate to call from the room was $4.99 per minute. We purchased the internet plan instead.

I believe that with the iConcierge app, the cost per minute to call back to shore is only $.79 per minute. So, way cheaper.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience texting back to shore with the app? I've seen conflicting info on whether this works and what cost might be associated?

All I can say is that NCL posted that texting to offship locations was not available through the app. I will try to reference that info. Go to the last page, Frequently Asked Questions. #6 states that the cost is $0.79/min using the app to call offship. The linked pdf states nothing about texting offship. I will link to the other source once I locate it online or upload it. Below is from a version I downloaded onto my tablet.

FREQUENTLY ASKED

QUESTIONS:

6. Can I make calls and send texts to my friends and family back home?

Calling to numbers off-ship is supported. To dial a US based number,

simply dial 1 + the area code and number. To dial an international

number, dial 011, the country code and number. A confirmation

screen will appear displaying the rate for the off-ship phone call

before the call is placed. Charges will be billed to the guest’s

onboard account. Remember, calls must be placed from within the

Norwegian iConcierge App. Texting to numbers off-ship is currently

not supported.

©2014 Norwegian Cruise Line Ltd. Ship’s Registry: Bahamas and United States of America. 21711 5/14

Edited by Rhea98

All I can say is that NCL posted that texting to offship locations was not available through the app. I will try to reference that info.

That is correct, those are only kind of instant messages within the app (similar to Telegram or Whatsapp), not real texts.

If you are in a suite, is all this included in the price of the suite?

I also read that when in a suite, an I-Pad for use is included.

Does anyone know anything about this?

This will be our first time in a suite since our anniversary cruise 10 years ago! :)

Don

Edited by dongordon

Thanks for the information. If the app allows you to use the ships wi-fi, would people be able to use other messaging to connect back home?

I'm just confused, could have sworn I saw something about people using the app to stay in touch with people back home - other than phone calls, that is.

If you are in a suite, is all this included in the price of the suite?

I also read that when in a suite, an I-Pad for use is included.

Does anyone know anything about this?

This will be our first time in a suite since our anniversary cruise 10 years ago! :)

Don

Hi Don <waving>,

The iconcierge isn't a suite perk, it would be an extra charge if you use that. Most suites have a portable phone in the cabin that you can use around the ship to stay in touch with other passenger cabins/butler/concierge or to call between the cabin and portable phone.

I've never had an ipad in any of the suites I've been in. The Owners suites/Deluxe Owners suites/Garden Villas do have a lap top in the cabin you can use...but you would pay for the internet package if you use that.

Hi Don <waving>,

The iconcierge isn't a suite perk, it would be an extra charge if you use that. Most suites have a portable phone in the cabin that you can use around the ship to stay in touch with other passenger cabins/butler/concierge or to call between the cabin and portable phone.

I've never had an ipad in any of the suites I've been in. The Owners suites/Deluxe Owners suites/Garden Villas do have a lap top in the cabin you can use...but you would pay for the internet package if you use that.

Thanks Margaret....

Send my regards to Steve and the rest of the NUTZ family. :)

Enjoy your January cruise on the Breakaway!!

I'll miss you guys. :)

Don

Hi Don <waving>,

Maybe it's just bad luck for me but the phones they provide in the suites never work or if they do not very well and only keep a charge for about an hour. Have you had success with them? I think I will get the iconcierge this time but have a question. Do we pay for it and download it to our phones and we can text each other (those on the ship) at no charge?

Thanks for the information. If the app allows you to use the ships wi-fi, would people be able to use other messaging to connect back home?

As said before, iConcierge uses a dedicated WiFi network that is not the same as the WiFi used for internet access. Connecting to a wireless network doesn't automatically mean internet connectivity.

If you want to connect to the internet with other apps on your phone, you need to change the WiFi network that the phone connects to.

Maybe it's just bad luck for me but the phones they provide in the suites never work or if they do not very well and only keep a charge for about an hour. Have you had success with them? I think I will get the iconcierge this time but have a question. Do we pay for it and download it to our phones and we can text each other (those on the ship) at no charge?

Downloading the app and everything in the app (ship dailies, making reservations) is free except for text and calls. In order to send texts or make a call through the app you have to pay a fee per device. 7$ and change.

I think I will get the iconcierge this time but have a question. Do we pay for it and download it to our phones and we can text each other (those on the ship) at no charge?

I've loaded iConcierge app on the devices we'll be taking on the cruise. There's only a countdown for our cruise. All the other options state the ship's wifi needs to be available for other features to work.

I haven't used iConcierge yet, but read on another thread that you need to download the iConcierge app to your device BEFORE you board the ship. That stands to reason since you need internet service to download apps. The iConcierge works on the ship's wifi but is NOT connected to the internet.

Do we pay for it and download it to our phones and we can text each other (those on the ship) at no charge?

The fee MCAT48 referred to is billed to your onboard account. You pay nothing until you activate it from your device. I believe it has already been stated that the $8. fee covers intraship text/calls with other iCongierge users.

On our T/A on the Epic during the lasy 2 weeks I used iConcierge to check my account balance and details. Did a screen grab to get my $55 back. Miserable Wi-Fi experience. Had to go to McD on St. Thomas to send email. Poor guy at the Internet Desk,

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Used this last week in the Getaway with our group of 6. It only worked maybe 25% of the time. I did try using it to call as its only 79 cents a minute but it kept disconnecting. Was waste of money for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Used this last week in the Getaway with our group of 6. It only worked maybe 25% of the time. I did try using it to call as its only 79 cents a minute but it kept disconnecting. Was waste of money for us.

That's too bad to hear. I know (also from first hand experience) that the connectivity on Epic isn't stellar, but I've understand from others here that NCL would have improved the network on Breakaway class ships - we didn't use the voice/messaging system on Getaway this April.