Sydney boutique hotel

Patti22

I don't know how many stars but I loved my week at The Russell Hotel in the Rocks. Fantastic location acroos the street form the cruise terminal and Circular Quay for the ferries. I walked the harbor in front of the Opera House every night, stunning views of the bridge etc

Patti22. You will find that nearly all the hotels around the harbour precinct and into the CBD will be running special New Years Eve packages - more rather than less expensive. Accommodation is at a premium for those dates due to the NYE fireworks and celebrations around the harbour. I did a search for friends visiting Sydney and the only availability was for rooms 600 - 1000 AUD per night and most were showing booked out for 30/12. They are now camping out on my attic floor. I suggest you use wotif to do a general search and be prepared to look at accommodation on the city fringes or be satisfied with a larger hotel where there is some availability.

http://www.wotif.com/search/results?region=1&page=10&startDay=2013-10-19&adults=2&userCurrencyCode=AUD&children=0&viewType=all&formSearch=true&refine=Search&country=AU&destination=2414

Good luck!

Patti, are you writing your dates the American or Australian way? I assumed the American way, meaning you are here the end of January/early February. We write our dates day/month/year, and if you mean you are here end of Dec early Jan, then you indeed have a big New Years Eve problem with accommodation.

Patti, are you writing your dates the American or Australian way? I assumed the American way, meaning you are here the end of January/early February. We write our dates day/month/year, and if you mean you are here end of Dec early Jan, then you indeed have a big New Years Eve problem with accommodation.

Regents Voyager is shown on Ports of Sydney Cruise Schedule as follows..

Seven Seas Voyager

31-Jan-2014 07:00 (Fri)

01-Feb-2014 22:00 (Sat)

White Bay Cruise Terminal

Regents Voyager is shown on Ports of Sydney Cruise Schedule as follows..

Seven Seas Voyager

31-Jan-2014 07:00 (Fri)

01-Feb-2014 22:00 (Sat)

White Bay Cruise Terminal

Sorry for the misdirection Patti22. I misread your dates. We stayed at the Russell in late summer last year and the fan plus opening windows provided sufficient ventilation for us. In the warmer weather we usually get in early February you may prefer the Rendezvous. The rooms at the Russell vary from standard with shared bathroom to larger superior rooms with ensuite. We checked out the Tips for hotel rooms on Tripadvisor before we booked our room at the Russell and opted for a superior with courtyard access. The location was ideal.

During the day yes you can walk. Takes about 30 minutes through the Domain and Botanic Gardens (about 2km)

Gardens are closed at Sunset so you have to walk the longer way and I wouldn't suggest walking thru the Domain in the small hours.

Alternatively there is a rail station at Kings Cross... not high on my list of suggested places in the evenings

Edited by MrsWaldo

How did you get to the Circular Quay/Opera House etc from this hotel? Can you walk? Thanks.

Yes, I have walked lots of times. It is a lovely walk past gardens (on top of a car park), the Navy, Harry's Cafe de Wheels legendary pie cart, Art Gallery of New South Wales and through the Royal Botanical Gardens to Circular Quay.

However, there is a local bus which goes to Circular Quay and it is only a short taxi ride (with luggage). (There is also a second local bus which goes in the opposite direction to Central Station.)

During the day yes you can walk. Takes about 30 minutes through the Domain and Botanic Gardens (about 2km)

Gardens are closed at Sunset so you have to walk the longer way and I wouldn't suggest walking thru the Domain in the small hours.

Alternatively there is a rail station at Kings Cross... not high on my list of suggested places in the evenings

I have travelled via the railway station at Kings Cross at night after the theatre many times, on my own, during the week. There are always lots of people around, so it feels safe. However, it is a different place on the weekends, so I wouldn't travel late, on my own, then. It is better to get the bus, which stops near popular upmarket restaurants. Potts Point is a wealthy area.

It's been less than pleasant on the there for the last few weeks. They've had the sniffer dogs there even on Wednesdays.

A few of my favourite restaurants are in the area and my daughter lives quite close so we head down.

I prefer to use the bus as well but it means that I take much longer as the train can go direct.

Simpsons is in what is known as the "Paris" end of town. :)

1888 is on the opposite side of town. it has a very different feel as it is more corporate residential. The light rail is nearby so getting up to Central is easy. There's a ferry dock at Pyrmont as well so this is a nice way to arrive at Circular Quay

If you do stay there I might suggest Sugaroom for dinner. 10-15 mins walk and good views but none of the over inflated prices of the view restaurants at the Quay.

Edited by MrsWaldo

It's been less than pleasant on the there for the last few weeks. They've had the sniffer dogs there even on Wednesdays.

/QUOTE]

Is 1888 in Darling Harbor? What's going on with the sniffer dogs. I am between chossing Simpsons, 1888 and Meriton Apts at Pitt St, Kent or Campbell? ANy suggestions or advice? We walk everywhere. Thanks so much for this invaluable advice.

Sniffer dogs at Kings Cross are looking for drugs.

1888 is in Pyrmont on the other side of Darling Harbour.

I've stayed in both Meriton Campbell and Meriton Kent.

My preferred of those is Meriton Campbell and it is walkable everywhere from there. If you decide the quay is too far the green 555 buses are free.

Sydney itself is a walkable city if you don't mind a few hills or navigate sensibly.

Sniffer dogs at Kings Cross are looking for drugs.

1888 is in Pyrmont on the other side of Darling Harbour.

I've stayed in both Meriton Campbell and Meriton Kent.

My preferred of those is Meriton Campbell and it is walkable everywhere from there. If you decide the quay is too far the green 555 buses are free.

Sydney itself is a walkable city if you don't mind a few hills or navigate sensibly.

Thanks so much. I was leaning toward the Meriton on Campbell. I'm from NY so when I hear sniffer dogs I thinks bombs not drugs (lol).

• 2 weeks later...

I have just read all of the remarks on this thread, and thank all for the comments. I am arriving Sydney on the 10th of Feb and cruising on the 13th.

Thought I had accomodation tied up, but things changed, so I will be looking into the hotels you have mentioned.

I was in Sydney 6 ys ago, and loved the city - just like other cities, big and small around the world - you have to be aware of others and what is going on. Sign of the times I guess.

Simpsons of Potts Point is highly recommended.

Great quiet location, yet close to good restaurants and shops.

www.simpsonshotel.com

Hi

Agree with this - we have stayed there a few times when down from Terrigal for a concert at the Opera House. Old but charming (the hotel, not us !)

Cheers

Jim

Hi

Another good Potts Point option is the Victoria Court hotel in Victoria Street - 5 minutes walk from Kings Cross station. Have stayed there a couple of times at very reasonable rates (ie half the price of Simpsons) and its almost next door to Cafe DOV which is an excellent small restaurant. There are a couple of backpacker joints close by and even a couple of red light establishments ;)down the road, but it all adds to the vibe. Whatever, if you opt for there - ask for a rear room at the top - quiet as a church mouse.

Cheers

Jim

Hi

Perhaps this is a bit left field but we had an old female friend from UK passing through Sydney a couple of years back , just for 3 days, but she had a great stay at the newish YHA in the Rocks - right on the doorstep to everything harbourside. She managed a single ensuite room at a very reasonable cost - worth a check out at least ~?

Regards

JIm

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how many stars but I loved my week at The Russell Hotel in the Rocks. Fantastic location acroos the street form the cruise terminal and Circular Quay for the ferries. I walked the harbor in front of the Opera House every night, stunning views of the bridge etc

How far is the walk from the Russell to the point where you can walk onto the Harbour Bridge?

Also, once you walk across the bridge, can you easily take a bus or ferry back?

Walking the length of the bridge is probably close to my limit these days.