Sydney Harbour Layout

LindaMc

We are staying in Sydney for a few days after our cruise ends. If we are on Manly at the Q-Station, will we be able to see our cruise ship when it sails out of the harbour as she makes her way on her next voyage? She sails out of Circular Quay.

Thanks! I'm just not sure how everything is laid out in the harbour (regarding views).

-Linda

We are staying in Sydney for a few days after our cruise ends. If we are on Manly at the Q-Station, will we be able to see our cruise ship when it sails out of the harbour as she makes her way on her next voyage? She sails out of Circular Quay.

Thanks! I'm just not sure how everything is laid out in the harbour (regarding views).

-Linda

Just ask when you check in, you will be able to get some very good views of the harbour, all just a short walk away.

I think the OP is asking a different question ...

Correct me if I am wrong in interpreting your question - if you go up to the old Quarantine Station precinct on North Head (access via Manly) will you see your ship depart?

Certainly and it will be a magnificent sight.

You could also watch the ship depart from South Head (access via Watson's Bay) and just quietly I think South Head would be more convenient to get to if your transportation options are limited. If you open up Google Maps and check out the narrow opening of Sydney Harbour you will be able to identify both North and South Head and the access to them.

Both North and South head are popular viewing spots to enjoy the passing marine traffic.

http://www.sydneyforall.com/NorthHeadLookout.html

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkVenues.aspx?venue=20080707300010016

[note to self, learn how to do that html link thing] :eek:

Thank you! Yes, that was exactly what I was asking. We have to be at the Q Station by 7:30pm for a tour that we are doing. I figured if we could see our ship leave from that vantage point, we'd get up there a bit early (the ship leaves the OPT at 6:30pm), so we be able to watch our ship, and be up there to ensure we will be there for our tour on time.

Thanks again,

Linda

Thank you! Yes, that was exactly what I was asking. We have to be at the Q Station by 7:30pm for a tour that we are doing. I figured if we could see our ship leave from that vantage point, we'd get up there a bit early (the ship leaves the OPT at 6:30pm), so we be able to watch our ship, and be up there to ensure we will be there for our tour on time.

Thanks again,

Linda

http://www.harbourtrust.gov.au/visit-our-sites/north-head-sanctuary/plan-your-visit/

If you click on the map, it will show you the layout of North Head and Q Station.

• 2 weeks later...

You would be able to see the cruise ship from the Q Station - you can easily get on to the small beach by the Old Boiler House which is part the Q Station to view. However that would not be the best vantage point - from North Head itself would be superb....if the ship left on time you should be able to view from there and still get down to the Q Station in time for your tour. It is only a 3-5 minute drive away.

I'm not sure how long it would take the ship to sail from OPT to the heads - I'm thinking no more than half an hour....if that....but I really don't know.

Just thought I'd add that the ship may go tight around South Head because of the Sow and Pigs Reef...in which case it would be highly unlikely that you could view from the Q Station. The Lookout at North Head would be spectacular.

This a a link to google maps - hope it works:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=Q+station+to+North+Harbour&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

The lookout is the circle at the end....

There is a great app for following ships - MarineTraffic.com This will show the ship moving live down the harbour.

Archived