packing list - what have we forgotten?!

allisons

Here is our packing list of specialty items for Alaska. What have we forgotten?! (We've got the standard basics like underwear, pajamas, toilettries, medications, travel documents, currency, etc. covered, so don't worry about that.) Thank you in advance!

backpack (1 per person)

fanny pack (1 pp)

camera with waterproof bag, zoom lens, polarized UV filters, tripod, etc. (1 pp)

waterproof binoculars (1 pp)

1-quart water bottle (1 pp)

umbrella (1 pp)

100% DEET bug spray (1 pp)

sunscreen (1 pp)

polarized sunglasses (1 pp)

baseball caps (2 pp)

waterproof hiking boots (1 pp)

waterproofed leather sneakers (1 pp)

waterproof walking sandals (1 pp)

3-in-1 waterproof jacket with zip-out fleece lining that can be worn separately (1 pp)

2-piece rain suit with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

rain poncho with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

wind-proof cargo pants (1 pp)

windbreaker jacket with hood (1 pp)

fleece zip-ups (2 pp)

fleece hoodie (1 pp)

fleece vest (1 pp)

regular hoodies (2 pp)

sweatshirts (2 pp)

moisture-wicking socks (8 pp)

wool socks (12 pp)

wool glove liners (2 pp)

wool hats (2 pp)

wool scarf (1 pp)

ear muffs (1 pp)

silk long underwear (2 pp)

wool long underwear (2 pp)

jeans (4 pp)

cargo pants (4 pp)

shorts/capris (2 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - light weight (4 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - heavy weight (4 pp)

short-sleeve t-shirts (6 pp)

I must say you're prepared...for anything...for a lot more than 7 days. If you decide you don't want to pack all of that, let us know and we'll help you pare it down by about 1/2.

Maybe they're tent camping for a month?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wow, that's a lot of clothing!!

For starters .. why pack a water bottle? Buy a bottle of water upon arrival then keep refilling it.

Far too many outer layers ... hoodies and fleeces are outer wear. As long as the layer next to your skin is clean, no one notices or cares that you wore that hoody 2 days in a row.

4 pr of long underwear? 20 pr of socks?

A hat, and a scarf and earmuffs? Can't you wear a hat then pull up the hood on your jacket? Make use of stuff that can serve multi purposes.

I bring my lightweight hooded rainproof jacket, fleece coat, 2 sweatshirts and a bunch of t-shirts. Two pair of jeans and 1 pr cargo pants. Nobody seemed to be disgusted that I wore that same pair of pants 2 days in a row. I don’t own wool anything. Although I’ve taken my rain pants I’ve never used them. Hat and gloves for sure. I do bring one pair of long underwear that I’ve used once during an early May cruise. Got a bit cold late at night standing on deck looking for whales. It can also be cooler around the glaciers as the best place to be is out on deck and we’re out there for as long as we’re near a glacier. Although, last year it was raining miserably in Glacier Bay so stayed in most of the time.

I would not bring most of this or at least bring 1 item instead of 2 or 2 instead of 4.

fanny pack (1 pp)

1-quart water bottle (1 pp)

umbrella (1 pp)

baseball caps (2 pp)

waterproof walking sandals (1 pp)

2-piece rain suit with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

rain poncho with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

wind-proof cargo pants (1 pp)

windbreaker jacket with hood (1 pp)

fleece zip-ups (2 pp)

regular hoodies (2 pp)

moisture-wicking socks (8 pp)

wool socks (12 pp)

wool glove liners (2 pp)

wool hats (2 pp)

wool scarf (1 pp)

ear muffs (1 pp)

silk long underwear (2 pp)

wool long underwear (2 pp)

jeans (4 pp)

cargo pants (4 pp)

shorts/capris (2 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - light weight (4 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - heavy weight (4 pp)

I pack similarly to glaciers.... minimal, casual. This was my response to a question last month about what to pack.

<<<< I only pack jeans, a few Long and Short sleeved T's to wear under 2 fleece pullovers and 1 hoody, 1 shorts, 1 capri, 1 pr good walking shoes, lined nylon jogging pants, knee socks and regular, gloves, knit hat or scarf. I carry a hooded jacket on the plane. I don't do formal nights so I pack khakis or black jeans and sweater to wear on board. Regardless of where I travel there's a poncho in my daypack, along with binoculars, camera, travel book, trail mix, water bottle, sunscreen, sunglasses, lipbalm and a baseball cap for rain or sun.

Depending on your activities and/or where you're from, you may need long underwear, and a waterproof jacket, waterproof shoes or even a cheap rainsuit from a sporting goods store. Heck I live in Seattle and don't have waterproof. I'd spray a pair of sneakers/walking shoes if I needed to.

I probably missed something, but basically this is it; worked fine for 4 trips. Only 1 cruise, the rest were land travel with tent camping or RV.>>>

OP, what activities do you have planned? and what dates will you be there?

And are we talking Inside Passage?

Layers do work best but as someone pointed out, only the layer next to your skin needs changing daily. No one really notices what anyone else wears. Children with food stains are par for the course.

And some extreme activities providers supply the necessary clothing. Ask them before you pack.

I take fleece - pants, vest, shirt - one of each.

One waterproof windbreaker. A raincoat with hood.

Long johns. Gloves and a warm hat.

T's that can go under the fleece or be on their own on warm days.

And one pair of casual slacks.

My walking shoes and a pair of loafers.

And something to wear to dinner on the ship.

My favorite item is that fleece vest.

My advice.

Pack light.

By looking at your sig, you will be onboard the RCI Radiance of the Seas 6/28/13 Alaska Northbound 7-night?

There is a good chance that temps will likely be in the upper 60s/low 70s, and possibly even the occasional low 80s travelling through the inside passage at that time of year...And if you are planning a trip to the interior -- 80s and even 90s could be expected. You have a very good chance of encountering t-shirt weather on some days.

Seriously.

Yes the chance for rain is always likely, and the evenings can be cooler, so one wants to always be prepared for that and bring some layers, but it's not like you're travelling on an Antarctic expedition and one ought naught feel like they need to be outfitted as such.

It will be peak summer in Alaska when you are travelling. It will be light out 20 hours a day. If you take all of those clothes you may come to the realization that you over-packed by trip's end. Guaranteed.

I took a NB Radiance cruise Aug 31-Sept 7 this past year. I did not take 1/4 of this on our trip. The temps were all over the place. It was warm enough for sweaters several days and snowed in Denali while we were there. But, we never needed all of this.

The most valuable item was a hooded rain jacket. [it kept the rain off of our shoulders and from going down our back.] It really rained the day we were in Hubbard Glacier. . .and you will want to be out on deck to get the very best views.

If you are doing an extensive land tour--with lots of camping and hiking, you may need some of these items.

The most valuable item was a hooded rain jacket.

I second this. A lightweight jacket that's waterproof and breathable (like Goretex) would be perfect with room to wear a fleece or sweater underneath. That way if it gets warm but it's raining you don't get soaked from sweating but if it's cold you just wear a little bit extra. Last year I travelled in May and it was "not warm" but I made due with a rainjacket/fleece, 1 hoody and 2 pairs of runners. Of course I'm from Vancouver where our only seasons are rain, cold rain and road construction. I noticed the OP's signature listed A LOT of Caribbean cruises so I would hazard a guess they live in a warmer part of the country year round and would feel much more uncomfortable in the cold than I did.

Ditch so much freezing weather gear. We went in September, which is when the last cruises go and never needed warm clothing except for when we went river rafting and when the ship went right up to the glacier. Didn't even need a sweater in Juneau. Ketchican was also warm, but rainy. No really cold cities at all.

We are going on the Regent Navigator July 31-August 7 to Alaska.

What cruise are you on?

Have you received any good information on excursions at the various ports?

We just booked our cruise - first time to Alaska.

Hope we are on the same trip!

As others have said, you appear to be way over packing. I packed less for a trip to Anchorage this last January. When I head to SE Alaska, I can fit everything I need in a suitcase and a carry-on and will usually have ample room for souvenirs.

The one thing that I do not believe anyone has mentioned is supplementing your packing list with souvenir shopping. Are you planning on taking some T-shirts home with you? Buy them along the way and wear them later in the cruise to lighten your load a bit.

Here is my take on your list:

"backpack (1 per person) & fanny pack (1 pp)": I would trim this down to either 1 fanny pack pp or 1 backpack for two people. Personally, I would opt for the backpack. It is a bit more universal, especially if you plan on a hike or need to stash some food during days with long excursions.

"1-quart water bottle (1 pp)": Another one I'd keep at home. Water is available at any cruise port, though it can be a bit spendy. You can buy a bottle and refill it a few times. If you insist on having your own bottle, you can buy one at one of the stops. Both the plastic and metal bottles are pretty easy to find.

"umbrella (1 pp)": Leave it at home. It makes you look like a tourist. Besides, doesn't the cruise ships provide these?

"baseball caps (2 pp)": Baseball caps are good. They help you blend in with the locals :) This is one of those where I would ask if you plan on buying any at any of the ports? If so, buy one and wear it. I'd cut back to 1 baseball cap pp.

"waterproof hiking boots (1 pp) & waterproofed leather sneakers (1 pp) & waterproof walking sandals (1 pp)" This seems awfully redundant. Unless you know you will be hiking or you just like boots, I would dump the hiking boots. I recommend people take two pairs of waking shoes at most, one to wear, the other to dry (I only take the pair on my feet personally).

"2-piece rain suit with factory sealed seams (1 pp) & rain poncho with factory sealed seams (1 pp)": This seems a bit redundant to me as well. Rain gear is a good idea, but I'd say take the rain suit or the poncho. Personally, I'd opt for the suit, but either should be OK.

"wind-proof cargo pants (1 pp)": Not sure what these are, but I can tell you that I've never worn them when I lived in AK. I presume they would have a place if you are hiking or going to be out on the water for a long time, but I've almost always wore jeans or jeans with rain pants.

"windbreaker jacket with hood (1 pp)": I'd dump this if you have a 3-in-1 that you can remove the liner, especially with the fleece and hoodies you have below.

"fleece zip-ups (2 pp) & fleece hoodie (1 pp) & fleece vest (1 pp)" I like fleece because it dries quickly, but you can get buy on one of these pp.

"regular hoodies (2 pp)": I wear these quite often, but if you have fleece, I would only take 1 pp or none. I usually take two of these for a week and no fleece. You can buy these along the way if you plan on taking any home.

"sweatshirts (2 pp)": If you have the fleece and hoodies, you don't need these. Choose a few (mix and match with the hoodies/fleece if you like) and leave the rest home. This is another one you can buy along the way.

"moisture-wicking socks (8 pp) & wool socks (12 pp)": I carry two pairs of socks per day (give or take) and change them when my feet get damp. If you use wool, I don't think you'd need moisture-wicking socks. Just MHO

"wool glove liners (2 pp)": A bit overkill, but not a bad idea if you are not used to the cool wet conditions. I'd cut back to 1 pp.

"wool hats (2 pp)": Same as above

"wool scarf (1 pp)": I'd leave at home, but that is just me.

"ear muffs (1 pp)": If you have hats, I'd leave at home

'silk long underwear (2 pp) & wool long underwear (2 pp)": I'm torn on this as I know being out on the water or on deck with the wind blowing will get cool. I think you could drop this to 1 pair pp

"jeans (4 pp) & cargo pants (4 pp)" I'd wear your pants two days during the trip and cut this in half

"long-sleeve t-shirts - light weight (4 pp) & long-sleeve t-shirts - heavy weight (4 pp)" Long sleeve T's are something I do not recall seeing lots of in tourist shops. However, I think 8 shirts is way too much per person. I'd cut this in half. With the coats, hoodies, and such, I'd even cut this back to 1 or 2 pp.

"short-sleeve t-shirts (6 pp)" I use short sleeved T's as my base layer, so I usually have 1 per day. However, this is an item that you can buy from the shops along the way.

I think you are way over-packing... we went in September, actually the last cruise of the year and I had way too much warm clothing... My face is red on all the pictures because I was too hot... only day that was colder and needed the hoodie, and gloves is when we got the the Glacier at the end of the cruise.

We could be in T-Shirts every day and a fleece...

I think you are way over-packing... we went in September, actually the last cruise of the year and I had way too much warm clothing... My face is red on all the pictures because I was too hot... only day that was colder and needed the hoodie, and gloves is when we got the the Glacier at the end of the cruise.

We could be in T-Shirts every day and a fleece...

Thank you all for your help. I'm sorry I've been offline. My mother had emergency surgery on Friday and I've been in the hospital with her, but today is the first day I've brought my laptop to the hospital. After the 7-night cruise, we're doing 9 days and nights on land in Seward, Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, and Anchorage. We're doing lots of adventurous activities, such as hiking, walking on glaciers, white water rafting on a glacial river, glacier boat cruises, etc. That's why I'm concerned about having enough warm and waterproof clothes. I can try to post our full itinerary later. Thanks again for all of your great help.

Archived