Westerdam's Captain Goes A Little Crazy With The Horn

Spaniel Lover

I've done a fair amount of cruising, heard a few horn wars between ships, but I've never heard a cruise ship's Captain lay on the horn button like the Westerdam's Captain did today on the way out of Ft. Lauderdale!

Here's a video I shot that captures it pretty well...

[YOUTUBE]4s-jQuu89rQ[/YOUTUBE]

That wasn't even all of it. I didn't have the camera recording for the beginning of his horn blast session. Once I realized he was going to do more than the usual few toots... I started recording.

What do you think? Was this a little excessive? Or just all in good fun?

Watched it live, fun to see again....

I vote for all in good fun - I know that the traditionalist (3 toots only) crowd will disagree, and I respect their opinion.

I can't help but get excited just hearing it! So cool that the condo groups respond back! LOVE IT!

Wish this happened in San Diego...

I've done a fair amount of cruising, heard a few horn wars between ships, but I've never heard a cruise ship's Captain lay on the horn button like the Westerdam's Captain did today on the way out of Ft. Lauderdale!

Here's a video I shot that captures it pretty well...

[YOUTUBE]4s-jQuu89rQ[/YOUTUBE]

That wasn't even all of it. I didn't have the camera recording for the beginning of his horn blast session. Once I realized he was going to do more than the usual few toots... I started recording.

What do you think? Was this a little excessive? Or just all in good fun?

This has been going on for several years.. Last week there was a thread about the "Queen of Horns" ..Apparently there is a little "Horn War" going on in Fort Lauderdale.. All in fun!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2124096&highlight=queen+of+horns

You will hear more of it as the season gets underway to the Caribbean..

This is the reason that many of us love to watch departures, to hear the horns blowing.....it's exciting and brings back great memories till the next time we are on a ship departing... Three more months for us...... :-)

When the Westerdam left San Diego on October 10th I had to check and see if there was some kind of emergency.....the horn kept going and going.....well over 30 toots after the "normal" 3 for backing out.

David

Same thing when it left San Diego on Oct. 3rd, and I was sailing on her! It was great. A lot of people onboard were puzzled why there were so many horn toots, but I knew... :) Gosh, I miss the Westerdam!

Yes it was. By the way today was the "Grand Opening" of the new Embarkadero in front of the terminal (well, honestly just to the south of it). It really is an attractive addition.

https://www.portofsandiego.org/north-embarcadero/3722-public-invited-to-celebrate-completion-of-north-embarcadero-improvement-plan-s-first-phase.html

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Yes it was. By the way today was the "Grand Opening" of the new Embarkadero in front of the terminal (well, honestly just to the south of it). It really is an attractive addition.

David

That's good to know, guess I won't see it until May. Do you know what hotel their building in what use to be a parking lot across the street?

Edited by PathfinderEss

That's good to know, guess I won't see it until May. Do you know what hotel their building in what use to be a parking lot across the street?

It's a twin hotel project: Springhill Suites by Marriott and Residence Inn by Marriott. Springhill Suites will have 253 rooms and Residence Inn will have 147. Scheduled to be completed early 2016.

It's a twin hotel project: Springhill Suites by Marriott and Residence Inn by Marriott. Springhill Suites will have 253 rooms and Residence Inn will have 147. Scheduled to be completed early 2016.

Wow, that's a lot of rooms. I wonder if there will be any parking lot left or are they going to take it all up with those 2 hotels? That was a very convenient parking lot, but more expensive.

Wow, that's a lot of rooms. I wonder if there will be any parking lot left or are they going to take it all up with those 2 hotels? That was a very convenient parking lot, but more expensive.

Also included will be about 27,000 square feet of retail space, parking for more than 400 vehicles and a 1.6-acre park.

I don't have the band width to follow this right now, but it sounds like it may be interesting and I'll bet Westie goes crazy with the horn not just in Ft. Lauderdale.

Here's a short video of the Holland America Westerdam passing in the Panama Canal on October 20 - listen out for the Symphony's deep throat whistle/horn during the sail by!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZpWFxZF7M&feature=youtu.be

Mark :)

Roy

I don't have the band width to follow this right now, but it sounds like it may be interesting and I'll bet Westie goes crazy with the horn not just in Ft. Lauderdale.

Roy

Thanks for the link Roy :)

Now I am really looking forward to our Panama cruise on her. Boy, I hope we have the right captain:D