Naples chioces

Chris

Doing both Pompeii and the museum together gives a great picture of life as it would have been (Pompeii for the buildings and the museum for what was inside them).

However, if you cannot do both, I would recommend Pompeii for most people. Spend some time reading about the site before you go to get the most out of it. Some people will say Herculaneum is more complete -- which is not true; you just have to know where to go in Pompeii.

The Villa of the Mysteries is newly restored and should not be missed!

If you must choose one...then we agree that Pompeii is the place to go. But, if you are in the port for a full port day it is quite easy to do both, on your own. Simply use the train to get to Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi) where you can either do your own tour (or audio tour) or simply join one of the group tours that are organized at the entrance (these used to cost about 10€ per person). Then you take the train back to Naples and walk (or grab a taxi) to the Museum. After the museum you either walk, use public transit, or take a taxi back to the port.

Hank

One regret I have is taking the group tour from the ship (about 30 of us) instead of taking the train on our own and hiring a private guide at the gates so we could see the things that really interested us more in depth and skip the things (or gloss over them) that weren't as important to us. Should I return, I will definitely take that route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are the options of going to Pompeii if not with cruise line? How to get there on your own?

Take the train. I haven't done it--somehow I missed that it was even an option when we were planning the cruise we went on. Would do it in a heartbeat in the future. There are several threads that break down the details quite explicitly, just do a search :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are the options of going to Pompeii if not with cruise line? How to get there on your own?

From the port area you have two good choices, the SITA bus from Piazza Immacolatella (about a third of a mile walk from the cruise port) or the Circumvesuviana train (requires either a mile and a quarter walk to the train station or a bus from the street in front of the cruise port to the train station).

Depending on the schedules, you might take the bus one way and the train the other, whatever works best with your schedule.

Current bus schedule: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/32d0a018-38cc-4b4f-b650-b6186648cdf5_5001_2016.pdf/0

Circumvesuviana Naples - Sorrento line (to the Porta Marina entrance/exit of the ruins): http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Napoli%20-%20Sorrento_1.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

We chose Capri. We loved it and don't regret our choice. On that itinerary, for us, visiting the Vatican was the trip. Different strokes for different folks.

We have done both Capri is beautiful and more relaxing but Pompeii is amazing, Vatican also is amazing but a zoo of wall to wall people ( would not do that again)

We visited Pompeii on two different cruises. First cruise, we booked the ship's excursion, which we thought was fine at the time, but for the second cruise, we had a private tour guide for our day to Amalfi coast and Pompeii. We absolutely had the best day with the private excursion, and the company we used arranged for us to have a private tour guide for Pompeii. It was awesome!

We visited Pompeii on two different cruises. First cruise, we booked the ship's excursion, which we thought was fine at the time, but for the second cruise, we had a private tour guide for our day to Amalfi coast and Pompeii. We absolutely had the best day with the private excursion, and the company we used arranged for us to have a private tour guide for Pompeii. It was awesome!

Totally agree much prefer private tours if possible, last Europe cruise 9 ports just one ships tour

Capri, the Vatican and Pompeii are so totally different that it makes comparisons difficult. Capri was beautiful with white buildings, high end shops, hills, gorgeous views of water. The Vatican is just that: The Vatican. This Methodist lady was very moved. Yes, there were people all around the Vatican, but there is a sense of awe, inspiration, holiness, history. Pompeii was green grass, some mud, ruts from chariots in what were roads, remains of buildings, a sense of oh my God, people were so quickly buried here under volcanic ash. The displays behind glass of people found in the ash were so moving. You sense the immediacy of that moment that buried a whole city. I'm grateful we've had the opportunity to explore each area. I think when you have to chose, it's just what appeals to you at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Judie

I agree with you. My recommendation would definitely be to go to Pompeii, because it's an experience like no other. Then the Vatican, then Capri, if I had to rank just those three.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Which would you choose Pompei or tHe National museum. Cannot do both.

Thanks

One question is what time of the year are you going to be in Naples? Pompeii in the summer in August can be extremely hot and crowded. It makes touring the ruins difficult as there is very little shade.

We hired a private driver which we toured the Amalfi Coast in the morning, Pompeii in the afternoon.

I'm in the minority on this one. The site is huge, but I was expecting a little more. Ruins like Ephesus for me were much more interesting and better preserved to give an idea of daily life back in the day.

We wanted to see Herculaneum, as we saw Pompeii before. We were in Naples at the end of October, and were not interested in spending time and money to take taxis & trains etc., or trying to find the train station. Lots of road construction on the roadways around the port. Cruise ship wanted $79 per person for Herculaneum, but also includes wasting your time on shopping trips, allowing only an hour for visiting Herculaneum.

DW was not interested in trying to do this on our own. It sounds easy, but....

After getting off the ship, you first meet the taxi drivers who want $90E to take you to Herculaneum. They showed us their brochures with prices, more for Pompeii.

We continued walking past them heading for the street, and found Pompei Sightseeing. They have new, small buses leaving on the top of the hour, starting at 10AM, to take you to Herculaneum, and Pompeii. Round trip for Herculaneum is $10E per person; $15E for Pompeii, and $25E for both locations. They drop you off at the entrance, and pick you up at the bottom of the hour, every hour, until 5:30PM. You can spend as much time at each location as you like.

We spent 2 hours at Herculaneum, but could have spent an additional hour there.

Service was fast and great, can't beat the price, would highly recommend them.

There was another company, but their prices were a little higher, and their drop off/pick up time was every 2 hours.

:)

We wanted to see Herculaneum, as we saw Pompeii before. We were in Naples at the end of October, and were not interested in spending time and money to take taxis & trains etc., or trying to find the train station. Lots of road construction on the roadways around the port. Cruise ship wanted $79 per person for Herculaneum, but also includes wasting your time on shopping trips, allowing only an hour for visiting Herculaneum.

DW was not interested in trying to do this on our own. It sounds easy, but....

After getting off the ship, you first meet the taxi drivers who want $90E to take you to Herculaneum. They showed us their brochures with prices, more for Pompeii.

We continued walking past them heading for the street, and found Pompei Sightseeing. They have new, small buses leaving on the top of the hour, starting at 10AM, to take you to Herculaneum, and Pompeii. Round trip for Herculaneum is $10E per person; $15E for Pompeii, and $25E for both locations. They drop you off at the entrance, and pick you up at the bottom of the hour, every hour, until 5:30PM. You can spend as much time at each location as you like.

We spent 2 hours at Herculaneum, but could have spent an additional hour there.

Service was fast and great, can't beat the price, would highly recommend them.

There was another company, but their prices were a little higher, and their drop off/pick up time was every 2 hours.

:)

Sounds perfect, thanks for the info.