Cartagena

Weluv2cruise2007

I'm just beginning my research and was surprised to nly get 2 hits when I searched Cartagena (and not much info). I'm wondering what others did in this port. I'm interested in private excursions or DIY if possible - although i understand safety may be an issue. Any advice or experiences is appreciated. We love history, nature, anything military.

Cartagena is loaded with history: the indigenous peoples, English pirates, Spanish missionaries, etc. Visit Fort San Felipe, "La Popa" a convent/seminary overlooking the city, the Inquisition Museum (which to my amusement has signs on all of the instruments of torture "not used in Cartagena"), Convento de San Pedro Clavar. First time we took a private tour arranged by someone else. 2nd time we took the ships shuttle into town and walked around.

The Colombia board has quite a lot of people posting about what they did in Cartagena. You might want to read some of the posts there.

We took a Princess tour to the mud volcano at Totumo about an hour's drive out of Cartagena, and it was probably the most fun we've ever had on a shore excursion. This was the only port where I booked a Princess excursion but that was because we were going through the Panama Canal the next day and there was no way I was going to take any chance at missing the canal if something went wrong on a private excursion and the ship sailed without us.

The Colombia board has quite a lot of people posting about what they did in Cartagena. You might want to read some of the posts there.

We took a Princess tour to the mud volcano at Totumo about an hour's drive out of Cartagena, and it was probably the most fun we've ever had on a shore excursion. This was the only port where I booked a Princess excursion but that was because we were going through the Panama Canal the next day and there was no way I was going to take any chance at missing the canal if something went wrong on a private excursion and the ship sailed without us.

Thanks...since it is part of our Panama Canal cruise, it didn't occur to me to look for Columbia!

We had a wonderful time sightseeing in Cartegena, but I can't imagine there would be enough to see and do there to occupy 11 hours. We did a very thorough private tour with J.J. Taborda (but no shopping) which took about 4 hours. If you added on some shopping and a meal, you could probably spend an additional 2-3 hours in Cartegena.

Also, depending on the time of year you are going, you may be ready to head back to the ship after a few hours due to the heat and humidity. It was pretty overbearing when we were there in the month of April.

If you added on some shopping and a meal, you could probably spend an additional 2-3 hours in Cartegena.

Also, depending on the time of year you are going, you may be ready to head back to the ship after a few hours due to the heat and humidity. It was pretty overbearing when we were there in the month of April.

Going in March, which is the driest month on average. Wife and I are used to the heat, but she is not used to humidity. Will likely do a tour in the morning, lunch, then afternoon shopping. It'll be up to her, it's her day! :)

Going in March, which is the driest month on average. Wife and I are used to the heat, but she is not used to humidity. Will likely do a tour in the morning, lunch, then afternoon shopping. It'll be up to her, it's her day! :)

You will find plenty to do! We normally stay in Cartagena for four or five days at a time and I have yet to get bored there. Hope she enjoys her B-day!

Dear friends:

We live between Spain, New York and Colombia during the year so we are very familiar with Cartagena.

The beauty of Cartagena is the old city. Take a tour, or just wander around and get lost. If it is your wife's birthday, perhaps you can have a romantic lunch at one of the old colonial hotels such as the Charleston Santa Teresa, Pestagua, Sofitel Santa Clara. Have some drinks and just people watch in the Plaza de Santo Domingo.

Just think of Old San Juan, but about 6 times bigger and more fascinating.

However, do not treat this as a beach day, as the beaches in Cartagena are really ugly, very dirty, polluted, with the ocean polluted as well. We have never understood why the Colombians keep building new hotels and apartment buildings on the ocean in the Northern outskirts of Cartagena, in front of some of the ugliest, contaminated beaches we have ever seen.

In any case, you will have a wonderful time if you stick to the old city.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

The beauty of Cartagena is the old city. Take a tour, or just wander around and get lost. If it is your wife's birthday, perhaps you can have a romantic lunch at one of the old colonial hotels such as the Charleston Santa Teresa, Pestagua, Sofitel Santa Clara. and more fascinating.

However, do not treat this as a beach day, as the beaches in Cartagena are really ugly, very dirty, polluted, with the ocean polluted as well. In any case, you will have a wonderful time if you stick to the old city.

Having lived in Europe for 10 years (England and Germany), my focus will definitely be on the old city. She has not been out of the USA, except on our Alaska cruise last year when we made port in British Columbia. We have Aruba and Curacao to do a beach day. Thank you for the suggestion to lunch at one of the hotels, will look into them! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quasar1011, you could also surprise your wife with a birthday present with emeralds . Columbia is noted for its emeralds.:D

Have wonderful time.

I am looking forward to our stop in Cartagena on our Panama cruise. i am really interested in colonial history.

• 1 month later...

2nd time we took the ships shuttle into town and walked around.

there's a shuttle that takes you into town and you can walk around on your own????? is that safe? how much does it cost? we are cruising with Celebrity and have been to Cartagena before so we would just like to do the city and see the architecture. thanks you :D

Archived