More Than One Entrée

Californiacruizers

Yes, indeed! You may have more than 1 of anything in the MDR! Once, I couldn't decide on dessert...so I told the waiter to surprise me....he brought one of everything! I'm embarrassed to say, I ate almost all of it!!!!

Edited by cb at sea

My very first cruise, I made the comment I couldn't decide on the starter. The server immediately said "why not get both?" I was surprised and he went on to tell me that I could have as many of anything that I wanted. I took advantage of it after that. Many nights my husband and I will get a 3rd appetizer or entrée to share in addition to the main one.

When many new and interesting things are offered, DW and I, and our family and godchildren (etc., etc.) share the dishes around, Chinese restaurant style, so that anyone interested may order another to share with others who liked it a little later in the meal. Those who aren't impressed may order some other item. This way, the food generally doesn't get wasted, one gets to have as much of a particular dish as desired, and the opportunities for new experiences broaden dramatically. And for those who view our less-than-regal dining behavior in the trading of dishes as an abomination against "proper" dining etiquette:eek:, I am sure they will survive the traumatic experience.

We'll be too busy to notice, sharing good food and good company.;)

• 9 months later...
My very first cruise, I made the comment I couldn't decide on the starter. The server immediately said "why not get both?" I was surprised and he went on to tell me that I could have as many of anything that I wanted. I took advantage of it after that. Many nights my husband and I will get a 3rd appetizer or entrée to share in addition to the main one.

I occasionally have several appetizers and skip the entrée. And on rare occasions, when I loved an appetizer and did not see anything special for dessert - I had the appetizer again instead of dessert!

Princess is our preferred line, and we've never had a problem ordering extra. While we err on the side of caution to do this (there's so much food during the whole vaca) we will ask for an extra lobster and maybe an extra side of the pasta that is being prepared fresh in front of us.

On our first cruise in 2010, DW and I both ordered the lobster on elegant night. When the server came back for the plates and asked if we enjoyed our meal, my wife said it was so good she could eat another. The server said "Certainly, would you like another as well, sir?" I said that I would like to try the prime rib and she replied "Certainly" again. After we finished those plates, she asked if we wanted another! I asked how many we were allowed and she said that she would keep bringing them out as long as we wanted!:eek:

On our first cruise in 2010, DW and I both ordered the lobster on elegant night. When the server came back for the plates and asked if we enjoyed our meal, my wife said it was so good she could eat another. The server said "Certainly, would you like another as well, sir?" I said that I would like to try the prime rib and she replied "Certainly" again. After we finished those plates, she asked if we wanted another! I asked how many we were allowed and she said that she would keep bringing them out as long as we wanted!:eek:

Which is the absolute correct answer for the situation. No judgment, merely ascertain the guest's desires and try to fulfill them.

Ah, cruising!;)

• 3 weeks later...

I knew that you could order whatever you like, but has anyone ever just ordered one of everything? There will be 3 of us (sisters) and we want to try different things, but I've always hesitated to ask for one of everything so that we could share and try some new things.

I'm curious of more than one entrée MDR, is this allowed? On NLC the food was very good but the portions were not plentiful, I wanted more but was afraid to ask. I’m wondering if I can order more than one entrée on our upcoming cruise on the Emerald Princess.

Yep, or main size of a starter, or starter size of a main, or three or four starters, never been a problem.

I knew that you could order whatever you like, but has anyone ever just ordered one of everything? There will be 3 of us (sisters) and we want to try different things, but I've always hesitated to ask for one of everything so that we could share and try some new things.

I'm not sure about one of everything, but if you tell your waiter what you want to achieve you will probably get a stack of starter size meals to share and try.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered two entrees for any of my MDR meals on each of my past cruises. I like to try new dishes (or dishes prepared in different ways), and since calories do not count on cruise ships, I will order two entrees. I will also order an appetizer and soup (since they are no longer separate courses on most ships).

On a lobster night a few years ago, all of the men at my table had 5 or 6. [No, not the best lobster in the world, but it was a really fun evening.]

On my very first cruise, we did not know this and when the waiter came by and asked my wife why she did not have very much of her meal, she said she did not love it. So the next evening, and every evening thereafter, he would ask her and I what we would like, and bring out two additional entrees for her (and I) to try. [One of the old-school benefits of traditional dining and having the same person wait on you each evening.]

Edited by Travel R

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chiming in late, but I was glad that I had learned on this forum that you are not limited to one of anything before our first cruise. When I couldn't decide between 2 items, I would order the one that I thought wouldn't keep, and then order the other later, to eat or to take back to our room and put in our little fridge. That way I had a lovely snack later or the next day if nothing on the menu looked particularly appealing. I packed some disposable food containers in my luggage and they came in quite handy!

I'm curious of more than one entrée MDR, is this allowed? On NLC the food was very good but the portions were not plentiful, I wanted more but was afraid to ask. I’m wondering if I can order more than one entrée on our upcoming cruise on the Emerald Princess.

Yep, they'll also normally do main size of the starter or starter size of the main.

Sometimes it's not possible but if it is no problem.

I often order a steak and lobster tail. Make my own surf and turf.

I love leftovers, but I guess if you don't, my suggestion wouldn't help you. (And many times I found nothing on the buffet I particularly wanted to eat, so I was very glad of those "cold old" leftovers.)

That would be ok if you had a microwave to reheat the food, but you don't, but if that's what you want to eat ENJOY! I guess you can use your hairdryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

Yep, they'll also normally do main size of the starter or starter size of the main.

I often order a steak and lobster tail. Make my own s

I often order a steak and lobster tail. Make my own surf and turf.

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!