Super mad at Travel Agent!

DisneyDatknee

Ok, so I just called to cancel my Eurodam cruise to switch to the Navigator, and HAL is refusing to refund my deposit?? I'm 171 days away and they are saying "no because you booked a special promo"?? I didn't book anything special. I booked what was on the site.

$350 I can't get back so the Eurodam is where I stay (not happy about that either).

I blame my travel agency and HAL for not putting any exclusions on their policy.

Did anyone have an issue with this before?

I was looking forward to the 9 Day on the Navigator, guess it wasn't meant to be.

:(:(

Edited by DisneyDatknee

When you booked the cruise, did you pay a lower deposit?

That is one of the promo's going on -- especially with the Explore4 program.

It does say in the fine print that those lower deposits are non-refundable.

Booked it August 1st. I didn't pay a lower deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you booked the cruise, did you pay a lower deposit?

That is one of the promo's going on -- especially with the Explore4 program.

It does say in the fine print that those lower deposits are non-refundable.

Also I don't have Explore4 either.

Booked it August 1st. I didn't pay a lower deposit.

Then your travel agent probably booked you into what is called by HAL a "limited inventory" special to get you a better price and should have explained that deposits are never refundable regardless of the date.

We discovered a couple of weeks ago when we transferred our cruise to our TA that HAL still offers lower fares with non refundable deposits. I recall that @LAFFNVEGAS mentioned this previously on CC. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291390&highlight=Lisa+non+refundable+deposit).

That your TA wasn't open and transparent with your booking is frustrating. If your TA works for a large Agency, I would make a complaint with the manager. Does Atlanta have any sort of consumer protection for travel agencies?

Edited by cbr663

I see how everyone can see how it's my TA's fault. Does anyone know how to deal with this? I guess I could speak to a manager, but does anyone have a better way of dealing with this?

Other than taking it over your TA's head to their boss or agency ownership there's not much recourse. You could file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if the complaint to the TA's boss or ownership doesn't get you anywhere but that would be just venting and probably wouldn't get you much.

We discovered a couple of weeks ago when we transferred our cruise to our TA that HAL still offers lower fares with non refundable deposits. I recall that @LAFFNVEGAS mentioned this previously on CC. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291390&highlight=Lisa+non+refundable+deposit).

That your TA wasn't open and transparent with your booking is frustrating. If your TA works for a large Agency, I would make a complaint with the manager. Does Atlanta have any sort of consumer protection for travel agencies?

I don't think we have any protections. I'm still going to sail on the cruise, because I rather not lose my deposit, but I learned my lesson not to book with these sketchy agencies.

Hope we have a great time on HAL.

I don't think we have any protections. I'm still going to sail on the cruise, because I rather not lose my deposit, but I learned my lesson not to book with these sketchy agencies.

Hope we have a great time on HAL.

One reason to book directly with HAL.

I tried to book a deal like this for a friend with my HAL Personal Cruise Consultant and he immediately pointed out that while it was a great deal, it was non-refundable (I had missed this fine print on the website also, so do not feel bad about that). My PCC sure saved me from myself on this one.

Sadly not all TA's are equal in knowledge or dissemination of information. There are many out there who simply do not know that the fare they are booking into has a non-refundable deposit, especially if they use a 3rd party reservation software (which is the norm) rather than using the HAL travel agent system. Same situation with Princess.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. If it'as a large online agency I would definitely escalate it to a supervisor and if it's a small agency speak direct with the owner. Large agencies typically have recordings of the call and could do research on what you were or were not informed by the agent who booked it - they DO have a system for making good errors caused by agents (I work for a large online agency), you just have to be patient and diplomatic when asking for escalations.

Sadly not all TA's are equal in knowledge or dissemination of information. There are many out there who simply do not know that the fare they are booking into has a non-refundable deposit, especially if they use a 3rd party reservation software (which is the norm) rather than using the HAL travel agent system. Same situation with Princess.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. If it'as a large online agency I would definitely escalate it to a supervisor and if it's a small agency speak direct with the owner. Large agencies typically have recordings of the call and could do research on what you were or were not informed by the agent who booked it - they DO have a system for making good errors caused by agents (I work for a large online agency), you just have to be patient and diplomatic when asking for escalations.

I have never booked with this TA and booked with them because they offered a better price then my normal TA who is amazing. I will call tomorrow to see about talking to supervisor, but my agent's simple reasoning was "the quote said «cruise line may impose own restrictions»" -- like that clearly said "non-refundable". She repeatedly said look at Holland's cancellation policy, which says refundable OH well. Maybe this is a sign I should try HAL for a change. [emoji20]

OP :There are now so many cruise ships, so many cruise lines, I fiind it hard to know every ship and if gthey don't have 'dam' At he end of gttheir name, I rrealy don'tikknow which cruise line it sails with but I fddind here many posters

''assume we ALL know tghenamews o all the current cruise ships.--- not to mention some timesmorre than on e cruiseline has a ship b y the same name. A post loses its cont\ when we deontr hvfe that basic info, IMO.

What c ruise line is Navigator a part of?

I hope this oworks for you and you get your money back.

Edited by sail7seas

OP :There are now so many cruise ships, so many cruise lines, I fiind it hard to know every ship and if gthey don't have 'dam' At he end of gttheir name, I rrealy don'tikknow which cruise line it sails with but I fddind here many posters

''assume we ALL know tghenamews o all the current cruise ships.--- not to mentionswwwometimew morre than on fruiws4eline4 has a ship b y the same name. A post loses its dontsxt when we deontr hvfe that basic info, IMO.

What c ruise line is Navigator a part of?

I believe it's Navigator of the Seas with Royal Caribbean.

Correct. I think we are just going to stick to the dam' ship and not fight it. I'm tired of this mess.

Having done both the Eurodam and the Mariner of the Seas (twin to Navigator), I'd take the Eurodam any day, any itinerary - much more elegant, better food, better service, less crowding, etc. I found the Mariner very crowded, very inward focused (few windows look out to the ocean) and the food on RCCL has, in my experience, been uniformly mediocre.

I empathize for your situation, but maybe it's a frustrating blessing in disguise?

Then your travel agent probably booked you into what is called by HAL a "limited inventory" special to get you a better price and should have explained that deposits are never refundable regardless of the date.

Is this something new with HAL? I have never heard of this before.

This isn't unique to HAL. Princess offers really good fares in return to non-refundable and non-transferrable deposits as well. That doesn't mean you have to book this way. I've recently paid a few hundred dollars more for a cruise booking in order to pay a refundable deposit with NO conditions.

Having done both the Eurodam and the Mariner of the Seas (twin to Navigator), I'd take the Eurodam any day, any itinerary - much more elegant, better food, better service, less crowding, etc. I found the Mariner very crowded, very inward focused (few windows look out to the ocean) and the food on RCCL has, in my experience, been uniformly mediocre.

I empathize for your situation, but maybe it's a frustrating blessing in disguise?

That's what my mother said after explaining everything to her. She's just excited about the Catholic Services onboard to be honest :rolleyes:

This isn't unique to HAL. Princess offers really good fares in return to non-refundable and non-transferrable deposits as well. That doesn't mean you have to book this way. I've recently paid a few hundred dollars more for a cruise booking in order to pay a refundable deposit with NO conditions.

I honestly thought Carnival was the only one with non-refundable deposits -- Early Saver. I need to call and confirm about whether the deposit is refundable or not now no matter the line!!

Why did you want off the Eurodam to begin with please?

Found out I qualify for interline, so I could get the Navigator for a great deal, plus I wanted to try the Southern Caribbean. Don't get me wrong, we are still excited for the Eurodam :)

Edited by DisneyDatknee

I recently found a lower price for a booked cruise on HAL. When I called my TA, she said I could get it, but the deposit was nonrefundable. It was marked like that on the TA website. I don't think we will be eligible for any additional price drops before final payment.