Stingray City Excursions

ilovetotravel1977

Which island? I booked a private tour and it had a limit of 20 people as opposed to the huge bus full for the ship's tour! You might find a cheaper and more enjoyable experience by booking on your own.

Agreed... I booked a private boat in the Caymans and it was truly only a little more than it cost for the four us through the ship... If I can remember the name i will post it.. ;)

Should I wait to book our excursion once we board, or do these typically sell out prior to sailing?

I asume you are refering to the Cayman Islands and the stingray excursion? I would book an excursion with an outside company prior to your cruise. Cheaper and smaller crowds. :)

BTW, we used Native Way Watersports last time. Great service! But there are many great companies to choose from. Check out the Cayman Islands thread.

Edited by garris3404

Yes, in Grand Cayman.

I've read on here that the boat won't wait if you are late. However, I think these excursions start early morning and are only 2-3 hours so we should be able to make it back to the boat in time, even if there are hold ups.

Correct?

I would not be concerned with being late . Its not far from the port and your correct its early.. We saw the ship excursion boat going out . I almost had a panic attack just looking at all those people packed onto that boat :eek:

We used Captain Marvin ...

Have fun..;)

Has anyone taken the $49/2.5 hour excursion you can book through your NCL account? If so, how many people does the tour take?

Seems like a reasonable price for a ship-based excursion when comparing to Cpt Marvin's and Native ways.

On Acquarius Sea Tours we got 3.5-4 hours for $50 p/p on a boat and we had maybe 10 people that day, the tour would book up to 20 people. No way would I pay the ship's tour. Plus there was no money up front, so if that port is missed due to ocean swells or weather (tender port) you're not having to track down your deposit.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

On Acquarius Sea Tours we got 3.5-4 hours for $50 p/p on a boat and we had maybe 10 people that day, the tour would book up to 20 people. No way would I pay the ship's tour. Plus there was no money up front, so if that port is missed due to ocean swells or weather (tender port) you're not having to track down your deposit.

Hmm, I like the look of this one! Gets great reviews.

Only thing is they do not have the times listed on their website. They must wait to see who is coming from cruise ships and try to coordinate the times around that.

It's so much easier and better to book this on your own and NOT with the cruise ship. You will get a small, catered to crowd and excellent service. I have been on both and the ship sponsored one, we didn't have much room to sit, it was so crowded, not personal service and you wondered if you'd ever get your turn (and actually almost losing your turn).

We went with Nativeway and had the boat basically all to ourselves and the tour itself was AMAZING! They spent so much time with us and did what we wanted to do.

I have reviews listed in my signature line with tons of pictures if you are interested.

It's just so easy to do yourself. They pick you up right there at the port as soon as you get off the ship you'll find them. They ALWAYS make sure you are back in plenty of time. Their business relies on it and relies on word of mouth. They are not going to risk getting you back too late and I have yet to read of that happening. :)

We went with Nativeway and had the boat basically all to ourselves and the tour itself was AMAZING! They spent so much time with us and did what we wanted to do.

I have reviews listed in my signature line with tons of pictures if you are interested.

I sent an email to Nativeway about their tour and got the reply email telling me to check in at 9:00 and the tour leaves at 9:15. My ship doesn't arrive until 9:00 :rolleyes: I sent an email back telling them this but have not heard back from Sharon yet.

Mitsugirly, your review says that you would never book with Nativeway again yet you just said you had a fantastic tour with them. :confused:

A stingray tour is the one thing I am most excited about on my shore excursions. I just want to make sure I have a wonderful experience. :)

I sent an email to Nativeway about their tour and got the reply email telling me to check in at 9:00 and the tour leaves at 9:15. My ship doesn't arrive until 9:00 :rolleyes:

What day are you in Cayman? During the summer, Cayman is one hour behind Miami time as they do not do Daylight Savings. So if you're travelling during DST, then you may actually arrive at 8am Cayman Time...

I sent an email to Nativeway about their tour and got the reply email telling me to check in at 9:00 and the tour leaves at 9:15. My ship doesn't arrive until 9:00 :rolleyes: I sent an email back telling them this but have not heard back from Sharon yet.

Mitsugirly, your review says that you would never book with Nativeway again yet you just said you had a fantastic tour with them. :confused:

A stingray tour is the one thing I am most excited about on my shore excursions. I just want to make sure I have a wonderful experience. :)

Then you probably read the first review. Things got messed up that time around and in fact, we were not on a "Nativeway" tour. :( We got stuck on a tour with the cruiseship and it was a TOTALLY different experience than being with Nativeway. Nativeway felt so bad about what happened that they offered to let us try again (for free) next time we were there. So, we did just that and it was the most amazing experience. So, I am able to compare going with a private tour versus the ship tour. Man does it make a difference. :eek:

**edit** If you go back and read the newest version of the tour, you'll get explanations.

Edited by mitsugirly

What day are you in Cayman? During the summer, Cayman is one hour behind Miami time as they do not do Daylight Savings. So if you're travelling during DST, then you may actually arrive at 8am Cayman Time...

I'll be in Cayman on November 26th. :D

Ok now I'm really bummed! I got an email back from Sharon from Nativeway and I won't be able to use them for my excursion. :( She said they don't have anything else available and she recommended Captain Marvins.

mitsugirly I really enjoyed your second review! So now I'm really bummed. :(

Ok now I'm really bummed! I got an email back from Sharon from Nativeway and I won't be able to use them for my excursion. :( She said they don't have anything else available and she recommended Captain Marvins.

mitsugirly I really enjoyed your second review! So now I'm really bummed. :(

That's too bad. :( Have you tried Acquarius? They got great reviews on TA.