What shoes make your packing list?

DesertPesce7751

Just polling the peanut gallery to see if I typically under-pack or over-pack.

What shoes do you typically bring on a cruise? Feel free to differentiate between male or female, cold-weather and warm-weather, or between under ten and over ten days (or weekenders or longer voyages).

Thanks for the help!

What shoes do you typically bring on a cruise? Feel free to differentiate between male or female, cold-weather and warm-weather, or between under ten and over ten days (or weekenders or longer voyages).

Thanks for the help!

3 pairs for a 16 night cruise with 7 day after stops, started by choosing basic colours for outfits, blue and white, dark blue sketchers, for all the walking and site seeing, dark orange sandles for on board, meal times etc, and black glittery low heels for formal/semi formal dining. I have back problems, hence more sensible shoes. worked really well, took the hint about cloths colour, added a few pop colours in my tops, as anything goes with white and dark blue!

Planning another cruise end of year, will take an extra pair of light coloured sketches this time but basically stick to same formular for packing, also left me the room to pack souvenirs, even one extra pack for my friend, as she was slightly full up, not over weight, just a smaller bag, she has since purchased something slightly bigger. cheers, Lorsin from Australia

I'm a male. For warm weather cruises two or three different pairs of sandals (different colors), and one pair of semi dress shoes (black) for the main dining room. For cold weather, a couple pairs of short boots plus the aforementioned semi dress shoes.

Edited by Treven

Female...on warm weather cruises, I bring a couple pair of flip-flops, and a pair of nice sandals, suitable for wearing with skirt/dress/shorts, etc....I bring as many strappy heels as I want...my shoes aren't big or heavy! Generally, I'll be in the flip-flops most of the day, only changing for dinner!

Now, hubby's shoes are a different story...big and bulky! I do limit his shoes!!

Running shoes....they are so important that they must go in the carry-on. We recently had a lost luggage issue, with our running shoes in checked luggage. Lesson learned....wear them or pack them in the carry on. And, they are great footwear for the cobblestone streets in foreign ports!

A lot depends on where you're cruising - Alaska vs. the Caribbean or Mediterranean have very different requirements. Over or under 10 days makes no difference - shoes can be worn many times during a cruise, so we take basically the same thing whether it's a 7 day or 28 day cruise. For us, Female: 1 pair comfortable walking shoes, 1 pair flat heeled daytime sandals (or Sketchers, loafers or clog-type shoes for cold weather areas), 1 pair dress shoes, possibly a second pair of flat semi-dressy shoes for smart casual nights. Male: 1 pair comfortable walking shoes, 1 pair casual daytime slip-ons or sandals (depending on climate) that can do double duty for smart casual nights, one pair dress shoes, usually black dressier loafer-type. Stick to neutral colors that are more versatile. There may be additions - special activities, such as water sports in rocky beach areas, may require beach shoes; if we think we'll be using the pool onboard very much, then a pair of flip-flops. The older we get, the less important it becomes to be a fashion plate every day - common sense, comfort and versatility trump high fashion.

Edited by Kartgv

Thanks for the help!

No matter how long the cruise is or where or what kind of weather, I wear sturdy waterproof walking shoes and pack flip flops and a pair of dressier shoes for evening.

Hubby wears waterproof comfortable oxfords, packs flip flops and tennis shoes.

Wear my heaviest pair --sneakers/running shoes. Everyday shoes and a pair of black ballet slippers ( Aerosole flats that are super comfy and adapt to cruise swelling feet). I may bring another pair of everyday shoes like go-walkers if I am going to a warm climate and will be doing a lot of walking. I go for comfort and safety. I do not want to be tottling along in heels on a shifting floor.

My swollen feet taught me that I did not need as many shoes as I packed. I had a couple of pairs that I never were able to wear and a couple more that I could only wear for short periods of time. Next cruise (3 weeks long) I am taking two pairs of sandals and two pairs of evening shoes plus my plastic Birkis for the pool.

warm weather 9-nighter. I packed 2 pairs of nice slip on sandals for daytime, one pair of dress up shoes for dinner and one pair of "reef shoes" to wear in the water during snorkelling and being an Aussie, I bought thongs (or "flip flops") for the beach!

I completely forgot to bring an enclosed pair of shoes and therefore wasn,t able to use the gym. Lesson learnt.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Female - 19 night warm weather cruise with 3 pre cruise days. I bought one pair of trainers for walking around ports and if I used the gym, a pair of comfortable flats for around the ship and dinner, a pair of dressier shoes for formal night (doubled as an extra pair of evening shoes) and a pair of flip flops for the pool. I also bought a pair of cheap reef shoes for one of our shore excursions and dumped them at the end of the trip. If I did a cold weather cruise I just wouldn't have the flip flops.

Female

For flying I have a pair of black shoes that are quick to get off and on. Can also use them on the ship. Then a pair of sandals for the cabin, a pair of waterproof walking shoes and a nice pair of flats for the evening (can no longer where heels).

Total -- wear 1 pair and pack 3 pair of shoes.

Sorta on topic; if wearing a short cocktail dress, Formal night,no tan, does anyone wear pantihose - either closed toe shoes or sandals?

As the years pass, I see fewer and fewer women wearing stockings/pantyhose on formal nights.

You will see ladies in closed toe shoes and fancy sandals on formal nights.

Cross trainers for walking/hiking

Birkenstocks (1 pair)

One dressy pair of comfortable sandals, no more heels for me on a cruise.

Oh, an a pair of slippers for the cabin,( the small, easily packed type).

I also bring (Bandaid brand) blister bandaids. They are expensive, but worth it if you tend to get blisters as I do. They are specially designed to cover blisters and aid healing. Much more effective than regular bandaids.

The least amount I have taken (when doing carry-on) was a pair of walking shoes--worn on the plane--a pair of Merrell slides and a pair of black heels.

If I have more luggage room I will add at least one more pair of dress heels and a casual flat and/or sandal and more casual heels--I like wedges. I bring water shoes if I'm sure I will be needing them.

My shoes are fairly small, so it's not that hard to pack. We generally go on at least two week cruises and a like some variety in my shoes. Since we get 'free' luggage with our preferred airline, on longer cruises we each take one 26" suitcase and one carry on size for shoes and misc. stuff like snorkel equipment, plus small toes we take on the plane.

Female. Shoes are my packing downfall :D I usually take one pair of my Merrell sandals, a pair of evening-type heels, a pair of walking shoes, a pair of low-heeled dressy-ish shoes, and wear (depending on the destination) boots or another pair of walking shoes to travel. That's after I've removed all the rest of the shoes I want to take with me. :D

Female and mid 60s - I wear my walking shoes on flights and for boarding. They double for trainers for gym.

One pair of Teva sandals.

And a pair of black Crocs Cleo that just are two straps across top of foot- they serve for formal night, pool slippers, shower shoes, and bedroom slippers.

No one is looking at my feet and I'm long past worrying about looks so go with comfort and convenience.:o

Edited by herbanrenewal

And a pair of black Crocs Cleo that just are two straps across top of foot- they serve for formal night, pool slippers, shower shoes, and bedroom slippers.

Pool, shower, formal and slippers in one? LOVE IT! I find crocs too wide for my feet, but am going to try and find a pair of something as versatile! Thanks!

a shoe-loving over-packer.":o

I'll confess: I pack a lot of shoes (and a lot of other stuff, too.)

I'm female, 39, and usually take 7-night cruises. I usually take 11-15 pairs of shoes on each cruise. Yep, that's right, about 2 pairs per day of cruise.:rolleyes::p

These include:

• 1 pair water shoes
  • 1 pair sneakers
  • 1 pair "Fast Flats" for late nights at dance club when I'm just over the heels.:rolleyes:
  • 1 pair Naot 'Elinor' in Coral Reef colour (flat, strappy sandals that are the most comfortable, all-day shoe I've ever owned)
  • 1 pair Naot 'Elinor' in Pine Green
  • at least 2 pairs of black, closed- or peep- toe heels in different styles for evening wear
  • 1 pair tan leather peep-toe pumps for evening
  • 1 pair brown satin peep-toe pumps for evening
  • at least 4 pairs of various styles of strappy (mostly wedge) sandals in various styles, heights, and colours
  • 1 pair super-comfy (but not very pretty), brown Naturalizer slip-on, low wedges
  • For my cruises out of Baltimore in Winter, I'll also take at least 1 pair of black high-heel boots (but I'll probably take a few less sandals on these cruises)

I know how ridiculous this list must look to many (most?) of you, but I don't fly to my cruises, I love shoes and like coordinating them to my dress, and I like having choices. Oh, and I'm a stay-at-home mom so I don't get the opportunity to wear most of these shoes very often in my "regular life".:o

And yes, I usually wear all or all but 2-3 pairs of these on every cruise.:)

Next cruise Galapagos with extensions to Quito and Amazon lodge:

3 pairs each of us: 1 pair of water sandals, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of flat black shoes for the ship. Husband packs the same except no black shoes but boat shoes for the casual ship.

The lodge will provide rain boots.

We usually take only 2 - 3 pairs of shoes each even if the trip (land and sea) is several weeks longer. I have stopped taking shoes in which I cannot walk around the deck or anywhere else comfortably.