Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old August 31st, 2004, 07:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Concerns about aft cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque
I was "upgraded" to an aft cabin. Huge balcony, but NEVER AGAIN will I take that area!! The balcony was mostly open to the above decks, and it was filthy dirty every morning and evening, soaking wet, and unuseable for me, because people on the Lido deck (2 floors up) frequently tossed, dropped or otherwise lost their beer & soda cans, water bottles, and cigarettes which landed on my balcony. Almost got hit in the head twice while sittng out there. Complaints to HAL front desk provide no relief from this matter. Made the balcony virtually a waste and pissed me off greatly!!!

If you have specific questions, feel free to respond to this post or e-mail me directly at sprovo@apr.com
Suzie
I have dreamed about getting one of these aft cabins. Especially the Cat. S with the wrap around deck. We are planning a last minute cruise and one is available, but now I'm getting cold feet based on Suzie's problems. Was this an isolated thing?

Has anyone else been sorry about getting an aft stateroom? If the afts are no good what about the irregular shapped ones like - S7088 or S7087 on the Westerdam.

I'm also wondering if it would be better to be on the Rotterdam deck close to the Neptune lounge.

Thanks!!!

Joni

My blog - https://foxyterrier.wordpress.com

Future cruises
Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas - Caribbean - New Years Eve Cruise

Past cruises
Noordam - Lisbon to Rome - 2001
Rymdam - Alaska - 2002
Maasdam - Western Caribbean - 2003
Noordam - Baltics - 2004
Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2005
Noordam - Greek Isles - 2006
Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2007
Oosterdam - Mexican Riveria - 2008
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - 2009
Noordam - Western Caribbean - 2010
Veendam - Bermuda - May 8, 2011
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda - July 8, 2012
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean - March 15, 2013
Queen Mary - New England/Canada - October 15, 2013

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

There have been several posts on this subject but none as bad as the one you quoted from.
Most people who have had aft suites and posted their thoughts say the flying debris and soot is not a problem.
Most of these aft suites go pretty quickly and those who have had them and posted reviews say they are great.
We have 5187 and 5186 on the Oosterdam in January and cant wait.

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Aft Cabin Was Great !

We just got back from the Zuiderdam. We had room s4185 so we were really at he bottom of those rooms ! I would book the same room again. The only real inconvinience I found was that you were far away from the Neptune lounge.
I disagree with the others about the lack of privacy on the lower balconys. Yes the design of the ship leaves them staggered over each other but there is a slight overhang. You can sit under that for privacy or shade. The side of the balcony is completely private.
We had 2 fully reclining, padded lounge chairs, A large table with 4 chairs, 2 wicker arm chairs with ottomans and a small table.
If I was laying out on a lounge chair, someone up above would have to be leaning on their railing to see me. I will take that chance.
Coincidently, that balcony right above us belonged to people at our dinner table. To talk to them from our balcony I had to go up against our railing and they had to do the same on theirs .
I think another advantage is that you ALWAYS have sun if you want it. You do not have to depend on the angle of the ship like you would if you are on the side with a full overhang.

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:30 AM
5,000+ Club

Smile Oosterdam S5187

WE just booked S5187 on the Oosterdam in Feb . iowacruiser, we'll follow you in this huge cabin and veranda! I've always wanted to sail this way....I'm thrilled. Have a wonderful trip....we live in san Diego, so we will probably go down to the embarcadero to watch it sail out before we go....
Peggy

Peggy

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Us Too

We are cruising next month in our first port corner aft cabin and I had the same concerns after I read that exact same review.
I'm wondering what suite that review concerned, how many unruly children where on board throwing stuff, and what kind of weather that cruise encountered - there are probably many variables that impacted her review.
I look at the situation this way - most of the time the aft cabins are the first to be reserved. to me this means that they are great cabins.
There are plenty of threads concerning aft cabins that I have read that are rave reviews - they would do most anything to have that verandah again.

Keep an open mind and understand that there might be some debris and it might be wet after a passing shower during the night but just think of the advantages of your view and the space on your verandah to do as you please

I'm cruising in one of those cabins next month and can hardly contain my excitement. My plan is to have the time of my life - you experience life through your own outlook.

Have fun
Deb

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:52 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I booked 5187 and next door 5185 on the Zuiderdam and am looking forward to enjoying the larger balcony on the suite. We have 5 girls sailing, it should work out well and we'll have a blast.

Old August 31st, 2004, 12:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Our first aft cabin too!

We are going to be in 7133 on the Zuiderdam 9/18. It is on the same deck as the Neptune, on the starboard corner. Very cool!! I can't wait to get there!! I don't sweat any of that other stuff, I'm sure it will be fine.

Melody

CARNIVAL Fascination 02/98 Free 4 day cruise!
HAL Maasdam 1/31/04 to 2/10/04
HAL Zuiderdam 9/18/04 to 9/27/04 My Hurricane Jeanne adventure
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 9/17/05 to 09/24/05 My Hurricane Rita ride a
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 4/22/06 to 4/29/06 GREAT Weather!!!
CROWN PRINCESS 9/12/06 to 9/21/06 Best one yet!!
CROWN PRINCESS 10/05/08 to 10/12/08 Awesome!
CROWN PRINCESS 12/12/09 to 12/19/09 3rd time's a charm!!
EMERALD PRINCESS 10/09/10 to 10/19/10 Perfect!!
EMERALD PRINCESS 09/29/11 to 10/09/11

RUBY PRINCESS B2B 11/18/12 to 12/2/12

ROYAL PRINCESS B2B 11/10/13 & 11/17/13
Next: Regal B2B2B 11/09, 11/16, 11/23

Old August 31st, 2004, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Foxy Terrier

We have had balconys on the very back on our last 2 cruises,and I dont have any ideal of what they are talking about.Vert little if any garbage,and privacy was not an issue,We have a CatS on the back for our Oct. sailing.If you get one you will not be sorry. TOM

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:01 PM
5,000+ Club

I should think that one call to your room steward about a problem such as the people directly above throwing trash down would be handled with the occupants of that room or suite. On our Mediterranean cruise, someone on our deck complained about a loud party, and our steward asked us if it had bothered us, as he was going to apologize. The offending party was dealt with quickly as soon as the complaint was lodged. Of course, that was Celebrity, but I would imagine HAL would do as well in addressing this.

slinkie

9/12/02 Mediterranean - Celebrity Constellation
10/15/04 Nassau - Carnival Fascination
1/13/05 World Cruise - Prinsendam
6/10/06 Baltic - Rotterdam
8/19/06 Roman Empire - Noordam
8/30/06 Adriatic Jewels - Prinsendam
10/29/06 Caribbean - Westerdam
6/23/07 Boston-Nova Scotia - Maasdam
8/19/07 Mediterranean - Westerdam
1/3/08 Circle S. America - Prinsendam
7/2/08 Inaugural Cruise - Eurodam
3/11/09 Mediterranean & Black Sea - Prinsendam
6/12/09 Baltic - Eurodam
8/28/10 British Isles, Med, Israel, Egypt - Prinsendam

Next -
3/18/13 Caribbean - Maasdam

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default trinity1

we are going oct. 9 and have 7133, please e-mail me and let me know how you liked it, vjb223@aol.com

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy
We have had balconys on the very back on our last 2 cruises,and I dont have any ideal of what they are talking about.Vert little if any garbage,and privacy was not an issue,We have a CatS on the back for our Oct. sailing.If you get one you will not be sorry. TOM
The aft balconies are quiet different than the regular ones. They are on the 2 back corners of the ship on 4 different decks. We have had the regular ones on the side of the ship and loved every second of them, but to have a wrap around balcony seems over the top. The original poster complained about water and trash being dropped or blown down from the Lido pool area.

My blog - https://foxyterrier.wordpress.com

Future cruises
Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas - Caribbean - New Years Eve Cruise

Past cruises
Noordam - Lisbon to Rome - 2001
Rymdam - Alaska - 2002
Maasdam - Western Caribbean - 2003
Noordam - Baltics - 2004
Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2005
Noordam - Greek Isles - 2006
Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2007
Oosterdam - Mexican Riveria - 2008
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - 2009
Noordam - Western Caribbean - 2010
Veendam - Bermuda - May 8, 2011
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda - July 8, 2012
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean - March 15, 2013
Queen Mary - New England/Canada - October 15, 2013

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Vjb, I would be happy to email you about the cabin. I am sure it will be wonderful!

Melody

CARNIVAL Fascination 02/98 Free 4 day cruise!
HAL Maasdam 1/31/04 to 2/10/04
HAL Zuiderdam 9/18/04 to 9/27/04 My Hurricane Jeanne adventure
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 9/17/05 to 09/24/05 My Hurricane Rita ride a
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 4/22/06 to 4/29/06 GREAT Weather!!!
CROWN PRINCESS 9/12/06 to 9/21/06 Best one yet!!
CROWN PRINCESS 10/05/08 to 10/12/08 Awesome!
CROWN PRINCESS 12/12/09 to 12/19/09 3rd time's a charm!!
EMERALD PRINCESS 10/09/10 to 10/19/10 Perfect!!
EMERALD PRINCESS 09/29/11 to 10/09/11

RUBY PRINCESS B2B 11/18/12 to 12/2/12

ROYAL PRINCESS B2B 11/10/13 & 11/17/13
Next: Regal B2B2B 11/09, 11/16, 11/23

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyTerrier
The aft balconies are quiet different than the regular ones. They are on the 2 back corners of the ship on 4 different decks. We have had the regular ones on the side of the ship and loved every second of them, but to have a wrap around balcony seems over the top. The original poster complained about water and trash being dropped or blown down from the Lido pool area.
I've also heard of this problem. Our TA said she had some clients who actually had a lounge chair from the Lido end up on their balcony.

We were going to one of these cabins for the x-tra large balcony, but ended up booking a Suite closer to the concierge lounge instead. It was nice, but lots of folks carried on conversations right outside our door, as it was just across from the entrance to the lounge.

Most Recent:
Maasdam - March 2004
Noordam III - Final Voyage - November 3, 2004
Volendam - April 2005
Noordam IV - February 22, 2006 - Inaugural Voyage
Noordam IV - Mediterranean - July 30, 2006
Oosterdam - 20th Anniversary Cruise - March 3, 2007
Westerdam - December 2, 2007
Maasdam - April 14, 2008
Maasdam - August 23, 2008 - Canada/New England
Rotterdam - 12/23/08 - Christmas & New Year's Cruise
Westerdam - November 15, 2009

What's Next:
Oosterdam - 4/24/2010 - 14 glorious days!
Maasdam - 12/6/2010
Noordam - 3/8/2011

"Throw off the bowlines &
sail away from the safe harbor... catch the tradewinds in your sails...
Explore. Dream. Discover"
~Mark Twain

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Question S4185

Shippy--

I have the same suite reserved for my '05 Alaska cruise on Oosterdam.
Do you have pix of your suite? How is the partition to the adjoining stateroom on the side? (we have friends booked into that one) Is 4185 the same interior layout as the one on 5?

Would you have preferred to be in a corner suite higher up?

I scoped out the corner-aft suite above on Deck 5 before we left the ship and 4185 looked to have the most privacy of all the corner suites (not that that's gonna be an issue in Alaska - or that I really care about privacy....)

Oosterdam Feb '04 RSVP Western Caribbean; Amsterdam Sept '04 Alaska - Glacier Bay; MSC Opera Feb '05 Eastern Caribbean; Oosterdam Sept '05 RSVP Alaska - Hubbard Glacier; Noordam Inaugural Feb '06 Caribbean; X/Mercury May '06 - (the 2/11ths cruise); Noordam Jan '07 Caribbean - The CC Reunion Cruise; Volendam Nov '07 - Panama Canal Seafarer; Eurodam Prelude & Inaugural - July '08 Rotterdam-Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords/British Isles; Noordam Jan '09 Caribbean: "Voyage of the Good Nuts"; Ryndam Sept '09 Southbound Alaska Cruisetour; Zaandam March '10 Circle Hawaii "Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts"; Noordam Feb '11 Southern Caribbean "The Wedding"; Eurodam, December '11 Eastern Caribbean; Queen Elizabeth, Jan '13 - Westbound Panama Canal, Grand Princess, Feb '14 - Hawaii

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mystery Posters?

I found it curios that this poster was given a tremendous upgrade and still had so much to complain about.
I'm certain if they had talked with others in side suites that someone surely would have taken that huge verandah "nightmare" from them without thinking twice.

Sail7Seas made a comment on another thread that he suspects there might be mystery posters that do nothing but post negative comments - IMO this might help explain the vast differences in experiences on the same cruise.

To Each His/Her Own.
I'm staying in one of those dream port side aft cabins and I WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Deb

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have S5186 booked on the Zuid for March and am really looking forward to a large Verandah..I will not have to worry about a chair at the pool.
Nancy

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:51 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot
I found it curios that this poster was given a tremendous upgrade and still had so much to complain about.
What's "tremendous" about trash almost hitting you on the head?

Quote:
I'm certain if they had talked with others in side suites that someone surely would have taken that huge verandah "nightmare" from them without thinking twice.
Why? Do you suppose the people in the other suites were looking for the opportunity to get hit in the head?

Quote:
Sail7Seas made a comment on another thread that he suspects there might be mystery posters that do nothing but post negative comments - IMO this might help explain the vast differences in experiences on the same cruise.
Or, its possible different people have different experiences. SusieQue is an actual person, as a visit to her web site will show, not some anonymous one-time-poster out to trash something.

Quote:
I'm staying in one of those dream port side aft cabins and I WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME!
While I do hope you do have a great time, I would be very interested in your review when you get back.

Old August 31st, 2004, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

"I have dreamed about getting one of these aft cabins. Especially the Cat. S with the wrap around deck."

I had one of these on the new Westerdam in May, and it was wonderful! The deck was HUGE and very usuable. We were on deck 7 and there was enough of an over-hang from deck 8 to provide privacy when wanted. There was some soot from time to time, but nothing bad enough for me to not want the same cabin again. When other decks were unusuable because of wind, we were protected.

Old August 31st, 2004, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

dakrewser - "tremendous" was the upgrade, not someone getting hit in the head with trash. I believe you are taking my posts out of context as an earlier post said the following:
"I'm wondering what suite that review concerned, how many unruly children where on board throwing stuff, and what kind of weather that cruise encountered - there are probably many variables that impacted her review"
Different cruisers do have different views and that is why each person should make his/her own decisions based on the information provided, taking into account the number of opinions pro/con on any given topic matter.

I made the decision (based on many, many positive reviews) to reserve a port side aft cabin and I will live with and enjoy the pros/cons of my decision and I will write a review of my decision when I return.

Deb

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I was on the ship with Suzie

She is a real person who did have this happen during our 7/30 Westerdam sailing. Its the kind of problem that there is really no solution for. I dont think she got a tremendous upgrade. Just an aft balcony CABIN not suite.
All I can say is that I had a huge wraparound suite on the tahitian princess which was also open to higher decks - other people had soot, I had none.I guess I live a charmed life !
Its one of those things that is a possible trade off against an aft view. I love the aft view. I think if you can accept the fact that some stuff may find its way onto your deck, then you will be fine. I had a guy constantly smoking a cigar in the the SS suite next to mine on this same cruise (we were not aft ). I decided early on that I was going to live with it and that it would not bother me. The only thing that I truly CANNOT deal with on a ship is any NOISE. I live on 6 acres on a quiet country road (dirt) and am accustomed to total silence at night.
I will say I was much happier with HAL than SUzie was and had a better time- she prefers Celebrity and Princess.
My oldesnt and youngest kids meanwhile are pestering me to go back on the WESTERDAM over spring break. THey loved the friendly staff and great food. My teen prefers Celebrity as did most of them, on our cruise.Better teen center- more for them to do.
AOS August 2009 So Caribbean
Celebrity Summit Feb 2009 So Caribbean
Crown Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2006
Golden Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2005
Hal Westerdam London to Athens July 30 2004
Celebrity Constellation So Caribbean Spring Break 04
Tahitian Princess - Tahiti ! August 2003
Grand Princess Spring Break 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000