barcelona worth an extra day?

soaknitup

we are disembarking early in Barcelona and were thinking of staying two extra days. Question? What would someone recommend in the way of hotels. Any recomendations on where to stay and what to do? We would be flying out so I would think stay somewhere near the airport, also how far is it from the dock to the airport. is Taxi the best way to get around?

Hi - We started in Barcelona and had an extra 2 days there. it was GREAT! We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance and were easily able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. I would definitely suggest staying in the city as opposed to near the port or airport.

We did the hop on hop off bus, both routes. Took our time getting off at the stops that interested us. And had a lovely evening strolling Le Ramblas and finding outdoor cafes to eat, both on the "main drag" and off onto the side streets where there were fun squares of restaurants etc.

Barcelona is fun!

Walking up and down ramblas, having tapas and paella, visiting la sagrada familia and taking a free gaudi tour... All these will easily eat up your two days, plus shopping at porta angels street and el corte ingles.

Port to la rambla - easy walk.

Airport to port or placa catalunya area - taxi euro less than 40.

Easy and cheap to take subway to visit sights.

We stayed in an apartment in the passeig de gracia area not a hotel, so i couldnt recommend a hotel.

Hope u enjoy Barcelona, our 4 nights wasnt enough for us.

Have fun!

We have been twice, and you do not want to stay by the airport. The best hotel that we have stayed at is the Hilton Diagonal Mar. It is pretty much right on the beach, and close to a lot of stuff. The HOHO bus is great there with three different paths to take (red, blue, green). There is actually a stop just outside of the Diagonal Mar Hilton. There are several things you can do there, but probably the most incredible would be to tour La Segrada Familia.....it is well worth your time. Also, you can look for a tour to take you to Montserrat up in the mountains as well.....then there is La Rambla (daytime only), and several of the other Gaudi locations (park guell, etc).....lots of stuff to do.

I would stay as long as I could. Loved that city,

We stayed at Casa Camper. Great location and service, quirky hotel, 24 hour snacks and cooked to order breakfast included. Your room includes a sitting room across the hall.

Check out the folks at 'The Barcelona Taste' - great walking/tapas tour if you are into food!

I will echo those who say to stay. We only had an overnight visit and it wasn't enough time. We did the hop on/off buses and that was enough to convince us that we need to return someday. Beautiful city with lots to see and do.

We stayed at the Hotel 1898 on La Rambla, great location.

We flew in day early before a Med. cruise. A day really isn't enough. We stayed at a small hotel right off of the Ramblas, and took a taxi to the ship because of luggage. A don't miss is the Picasso museum and of course all of the Gaidi sights. I felt the Ramblas was very safe at night and can't wait to return.

We did not particularly like the city. While there are numerous attractions worth seeing, there are certain dangers to be aware of. The issues below apply not just to Barcelona, but many large cities.

1)Pickpocketing is endemic and widespread in the city; be constantly on alert.

2)There are certain areas of the city that are not safe for tourists; ask the advice of the concierge about what areas are safe for walking and exploring.

We were there during an anarchist "demonstration" and were almost trampled by the rioters and the pursuing police.

Did Princess tours, post cruise, of Montserrat and dinner w/Flamenco dancing.

Tables were next to an elevated stage.Quite an experience.You got to "feel" the dancing:).Montserrat was in the clouds!Lot of Mime on the Ramblas.Enjoyed the visit and would recommend the time spent.

We spent 3 days in the city prior to a cruise. Certainly worth the time. Stay downtown near Ramblas, not near the airport. Hop on/Hop off bus is a great way to see the city. You can catch it at Plaça Catalunya near the Ramblas.

We stayed at hotel continental on Las Rambla.

Aeroporta bus from Catalanya is 6Euro per person each way and very convenient and a 5 minute walk from hotel. Taxi to hotel was about 22Euro with cases and tip.

We did the train to Montserrat which took a day so stay longer if you can, this was my 4th time there and I still have things I would like to see again etc.

Loved Barcelona. We stayed at an international "chain" as it was our first time, and regretted it. Our hotel was fine, but it would have been so much more enjoyable to be in a local inn near or on the La Rambla. There are many, many to chose from. I would check out the port boards here or TripAdvisor and find a highly rated locally owned hotel or inn. This is what we do now to absorb more of the local flavor and if a property is highly recommended, we have no qualms about booking it.

And, pick-pocketing is rampant throughout the world. No more so in Barcelona. Men should keep their wallets in a front pocket and use a money belt. Just use common sense and you will have a wonderful time.

Subway and bus systems are excellent and the best way to get around, besides walking and exploring!

Bought a beautiful piece of water-color art on the La Rambla, I think for $25. The artist rolled it up and put it in a tube. It still hangs in our living room and I admire it every day.

Edited by SingerEsq

We have stayed three days post-cruise and two days pre-cruise and absolutely love this very cosmopolitan city. No need to stay near the airport which is not far from town at all, perhaps 30 minutes drive max.

We stayed both times at the Hotel Jazz, close to Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas, but not right in that hubbub.

If you like art or architecture, Barcelona is great: wonderful Gaudi sites (Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell and others) plus a fabulous Miro museum and another one of early Picasso. Also, Las Ramblas simply is alot of fun. As anywhere in big cities these days, use a bra stash or moneybelt so you do not have to worry about any pickpockets.

Enjoy!

Edited by CintiPam

First of all, Barcelona is well worth all the extra time you can give it...

I would not stay in a hotel at the airport...you will really miss out on a lot...

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Barcelona over the years...

But there is, indeed, a warm place in my heart for the Hotel Continental:

https://www.hotelcontinental.com/hotelcontinentalbarcelona/en?utm_source=google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=TC_CPC

It's sort of a funky old hotel...but the location is incredible...

Absolutely the best location in Barcelona: Right on Las Ramblas, directly adjacent to the Placa Catalunya--truly the heart of Barcelona...Walkable to everything...and, for anything not walkable, the Placa Catalunya is the transportation hub--even the HOHO bus uses this for a hub...

And, it is VERY REASONABLY priced...plus 24 hour buffet with free wine, beer and soda...and more...free internet...balcony rooms with views out onto Las Ramblas...

Don't miss any of the following:

La Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's as yet unfinished cathedral)

Parc Guell

Casa Mila

Casa Batllo

Las Ramblas

The Barri Gotic

If you have time, consider:

the Museo Picasso

Montjuif

Just strolling Las Ramblas and hanging out at Placa Catalunya, enjoying the outdoor cafes and the nightlife is well worth the stay...

Have fun...

Barcelona was the unexpected WOW on vacation last summer. We stayed 4 nights at the Marriott Renissance (one block off the Passeig de Gracia in the heart of Barcelona) Taxi from the port to hotel was 25 euros for four and luggage. A little less from hotel to airport. We used our Marriott rewards points for "free" hotel. It is more a business hotel but found it to be very clean, very friendly and great location. Very helpful staff in recommending restaurants/cafes.

Breakfast at the hotel was 19 euros, or free if a gold Marriott rewards member. Better was to go across the street to a little bodega and have breakfast for 6 euros for two. So many great cafes to eat...they open up late..lunch after 1pm and dinner after 8pm.

We did the hop on hop off bus tour for two days. One day north, then south. Fantastic..so much to see. Best kept secret in Barcelona is Tibidabo, the highest point in Barcelona. Take hop on hop off north route. Then you take a 100 year old tram half up the hill, then a funicular (ask for senior rates if the right age :)) to the top. There you will find the most magnificent views of the city, plus an old amusement park and more.

We even took a taxi to the beach one day.

At first we thought our 4 day wait from the end of our cruise until our flight to southern Spain for a week in Marbella was going to be a bust, but found the city of Barcelona to be a highlight. Glad we got "stuck" there!

Edited by BRANDEE

Just back from a Med Cruise and spent 3 days before the Cruise in Barcelona and loved it. We stayed at the Hotel Regencia Colon located just across the plaza from the Cathedral so it was a perfect location. Spent the days strolling the Las Ramblas, the Gothic Area and the waterfront searching for the perfect Sangria. In fact, the day our cruise left port there was a taxi strike so we pulled our luggage down Las Ramblas to the port.

Two days will give you just a taste of a great city. I'd say stay longer if you can. In a short time you still want to spend a day strolling Las Ramblas, Gothic area and the waterfront. We stayed at Hotel Jazz.

Edited by eandj

we are disembarking early in Barcelona and were thinking of staying two extra days. Question? What would someone recommend in the way of hotels. Any recomendations on where to stay and what to do? We would be flying out so I would think stay somewhere near the airport, also how far is it from the dock to the airport. is Taxi the best way to get around?

Hi there!

If you want to fully enjoy your extra days in Barcelona I think the best option are holiday rentals. You'll have all the freedom you need, there are apartments very close to the main site, plus you can cook all of your food if you want to save up a bit. When I was there we booked on this website and found a really cool apartment right next to the beach : www.oneholidayrentals.com

Barcelona is great.

Many of the hotels recommended by others are pricey. If you are looking for a nice three star hotel for about 7o Euros per night, check out the Hotel Astoria near the Diagonal Metro.

Make sure you have some tapas while there.

We had dinner at ATN, which was located close to a Roman excavation of tombs just off Las Ramblas on Canuda Street. The restaurant was open, even though it was about early by Spanish dinner standards. We had a wonderful meal with great service. Separate checks were not a problem with a party of six and credit cards were accepted. The next day, we had dinner at small tapas restaurant near the Plaza Sant Just on Palma De Sant Just. That restaurant, Bodega LaPalma, was not modern like ATN, but small and rustic. The tapas were excellent, with large servings for very reasonable prices. I highly recommend both restaurants.

Go to Monserrat if you have time. Don't miss Sagrada Familia and the Bari Gothic area.

We did Flaminco Carmen which was excellent.

As mentioned above the metro is excellent and convenient to use. Other than the pickpockets (which I consider on the same order as mosquitos--be prepared so they don't ruin your trip),the upper part of the Ramblas is prefectly safe is the evening. I have heard that the Ramblas near the port is seedy and somewhat unsafe at night. Our general rule is that if there are a lot of other people on the street (and that is certainly the case on the Ramblas), it's probably safe. Spanairds stay up very late by our standards, and Barcelona is no exception. I second the vote for the Miro museum.