Etiquette for playing music on balcony

5326jan

I'm always worried about being an annoying neighbor, but DH likes to listen to music on the balcony. Of course he can use headphones, but would it be annoying to use the little ipod speakers and listen to low level music? He likes James Taylor, Eagles, Chicago, etc. (lets say '80's music). Nothing hard rock, rap or country. Basically, easy listening stuff. (If he wears headphones, he tends to sing....:eek:), I KNOW that would be annoying! :D

His view is that he paid for the balcony and has just as much right to listen to music as others do to talk loudly. I can see his point, but thought I would get some kind of consensus here.

What do you say?

I'm always worried about being an annoying neighbor, but DH likes to listen to music on the balcony. Of course he can use headphones, but would it be annoying to use the little ipod speakers and listen to low level music? He likes James Taylor, Eagles, Chicago, etc. (lets say '80's music). Nothing hard rock, rap or country. Basically, easy listening stuff. (If he wears headphones, he tends to sing....:eek:), I KNOW that would be annoying! :D

His view is that he paid for the balcony and has just as much right to listen to music as others do to talk loudly. I can see his point, but thought I would get some kind of consensus here.

What do you say?

I use small directional speakers - Enjoy - It is your vacation -

Like everything else in life, your "right" to enjoy anything ends where it disturbs others. Headphones are great, speakers on very low volume during normal waking times are probably ok.

These situations have been known to begin an escalating world of "payback".

I think it's the old "do unto others" routine.

Have a good cruise!

Though you paid for the balcony discretion should always be used when playing music regardless of the type.

IMO much depends on the time of day when the music is played and the volume. You need to remember that each person's idea of an appropriate sound level can and will differ. Therefore if music is played on the balcony before 8:00 AM ( perhaps even later if a sea day as people tend to sleep in) and after 10:00 PM than your neighbors have a right to request it be turned down or off. If you don't comply than they have the right to contact guest services and or Security to address the matter.

As the previous posters stated situations do have a tendency to escalate seeing as though the other passengers also paid for their balconies and wish to enjoy their vacation without having to deal with neighbor issues the whole cruise.

I would say if the neighbors can hear it, you have it too loud. Use the earphones.

What about loud conversations, interspersed with even louder laughter, and then mobile telephone calls on the balcony?

Some think they are the only people in the World, with the balcony perceived to be 100% soundproofed.

One would rather hear nice music than listen to this.;)

Anyone who says "It's my veranda, so..." should ask himself why his neighbor might not be entitled to say the same thing. Just as hearing one's choice of music might be important to enjoying the verandah, not having to hear someone else's music might be important to someone else enjoying his verandah.

Unfortunately, too many people simply stop thinking when they stop thinking about themselves and start to be in a position where they should think of others.

Hi. How about being friendly and ask your neighbors if your music is bothersome? Some might love it and some might hate it.

Our only problem has ever been those dominos the Oriental folks use to play with. The whole bunch were very noisy, and the clacking of the tiles were very annoying. Even asking them to tone it down and asking the customer services and security for help was unsuccessful. I'm talking about a large group of adults and screaming children. This was our one and only experience of annoying neighbors.

Margee

What do you say?

My DH played music on our balcony for the first time on our last cruise in July. I felt uncomfortable and he realized this and put in his headphones. He knew that I was bothered with the thought that his music was disrupting to others and the last person he wants to bother is me. :)

DD and her BFF were playing their iPod and singing and dancing on the balcony a couple times during our cruise last week during the day. I just told them that if anyone asked them to keep it down, then they were bugging someone and needed to stop. No one said anything and quite frankly I don't think our neighbors were hardly ever out when we were.

What do you say?

Yes, he did pay for his balcony, but he didn't pay for the neighboring balconies. Therefore, what he does should be confined to only his balcony. He should use earphones.

He and everyone else needs to act with a sense of community, not selfisfness, whether it's music, talking loudly, etc.

I would say if the neighbors can hear it, you have it too loud. Use the earphones.

I agree.

Your neighbors should not have to be in the position of having to ask the music be lowered or turned off. In this day and age, people are nervous about expressing any negative to strangers. If your neighbors can hear your music, it is too loud. I would not want to have to be exposed to the 'it's my vacation and I paid for my verandah' rant. We likely would have to leave our verandah and not enjoy the use of it. :(

Once the guy on the neighboring balcony liked to leave his door open and his TV turned up extremely load. I guess he was trying to listen to the news (Fox, in this case) while outside. It was extremely annoying!!! :-(

...I just told them that if anyone asked them to keep it down, then they were bugging someone and needed to stop. No one said anything....

With due respect, I'm not sure anyone would have said anything; many times, we have "put up with" something in the hopes of not rocking the boat, so to speak. Sometimes, saying nothing is best.

OP, you are very considerate to ask this, and since you did I also vote for the headphones/ear buds. There are some incredibly high quality ear buds on the market and the music from your husband's iPod can sound amazing. :)

Thanks everyone for the honest opinions!

It would be hard to turn down the music enough so that our neighbors didn't hear. He'll just continue to use his earphones and I'll nudge him if he starts to sing too loud!:D

Love the discussion!

PS... DH is the last thing in the world from being selfish! He just assumes that everyone would enjoy hearing good music! :)

Thanks everyone for the honest opinions! ...It would be hard to turn down the music enough so that our neighbors didn't hear. He'll just continue to use his earphones and I'll nudge him if he starts to sing too loud!:D ...Love the discussion!

Aww, you sound like fun and I hope you both have an excellent cruise! By the way, 80's was the decade for excellent music! I applaud your DH's taste. :)

It would be hard to turn down the music enough so that our neighbors didn't hear. He'll just continue to use his earphones and I'll nudge him if he starts to sing too loud!:D

Love the discussion!

PS... DH is the last thing in the world from being selfish! He just assumes that everyone would enjoy hearing good music! :)

Good decision.

If your husband sings like me, neighbors will be asking for the music to be turned up.

The problem is that different people have different ideas of what is "good music". He may consider a Quiet Riot concert good music, while I may prefer the "Hog Calling Concerto". It is much better to keep one's idea of good music to oneself when around strangers.

What do you say?

Oh cool! So that means if I'm your next door neighbor, it will be cool for me to play my Disturbed and Slayer! And of course, I'll have to turn it up so I can hear over your DHs music. After all, I paid for *my* balcony, right? Awesome! Thanks! :rolleyes:

Edit - ok, I didn't mean for that to sound sarcastic, but I think it did. Sorry. I'm not like that, but it's possible you could end up next to someone like that, and it could end up being a miserable trip for all. I love the bands you listed. The nightmare for me would be hearing opera next door. For godsakes, put them out of their misery! lol

I think you'll all be happier if he uses headphones

The problem is that different people have different ideas of what is "good music". He may consider a Quiet Riot concert good music, while I may prefer the "Hog Calling Concerto". It is much better to keep one's idea of good music to oneself when around strangers.

lol

Love the discussion!

Music is very subjective. If I had to listen to Chicago or James Taylor, I would probably throw the iPod into the ocean.

Archived