Shooting up in MDR?

curious_st

What are your thoughts on someone taking a shot (or 3) at the table in the MDR?

I take insulin shots for diabetes at each meal. At breakfast and dinner, I take 3 shots each and at lunch I take 1 shot. One of the shots at each meal is a rapid acting insulin. This means that I have to be eating a dish that contains at least 15 grams of carbs within 10minutes if taking the dose. If my levels are a little low before the meal, I cannot take the shot until I have already eaten 15 - 30 grams of carbs. So, I need the shots at the table when the food arrives to keep from getting sick. I actually avoided the MDR on my one and only cruise partially due to this issue.

I had no problems on my cruises. I placed my order and quietly left and went to the adjacent restroom and administered the proper dose this took less than 5 minutes and no one noticed or commented. There is no reason to avoid the MDR. Now I have an insulin pump and it is easier I take my blood sugar prior to entering the MDR and estimate the carbs and it figures my bolus and I never have to leave the table.

Request either a booth or a table in a corner so that you can take the shot as discreetly as possible. Or use the rest room located just outside the restaurant- you would be back to your table in minutes which I shouldn't think would be a problem.

I take insulin shots for diabetes at each meal. At breakfast and dinner, I take 3 shots each and at lunch I take 1 shot. One of the shots at each meal is a rapid acting insulin. This means that I have to be eating a dish that contains at least 15 grams of carbs within 10minutes if taking the dose. If my levels are a little low before the meal, I cannot take the shot until I have already eaten 15 - 30 grams of carbs. So, I need the shots at the table when the food arrives to keep from getting sick. I actually avoided the MDR on my one and only cruise partially due to this issue.

Would not bother me or anyone in my party in the least.

I believe every ship I've been on has a restroom located very close to the MDR entrance. It would be a simple matter to wait until the appropriate time, excuse yourself, and go to the restroom to administer your insulin.

I am not squeamish, but I know plenty of people who are, and IMO it would be good manners to do this somewhere relatively private.

Take your insulin in your room before you head to the MDR with a snack that provides enough carbs. Please do not do that in the dining room.

Unless like a certain friend I know that makes a big show out of the injection, you would never even know I took mine. In fact, after a very exhausting excursion I was in no mood to walk over to the restroom and since I was wearing a polo shirt I discreetly lifted the shirt a tiny bit and gave myself the shot (from a pen, no drawing insulin from a vial into a syringe).

In as gently a manner as possible no flame intended, your view is considered narrow minded.

No no no no no not in the MDR, no way, unless you can be absolutely sure no one can see. People can be very afraid of needles and squeamish about transmission of blood borne illness- beyond what is rational. My former husband would have passed out cold. At the same time, why relegate you to the rest room? Is there not some out of the way location right near the MDR? I'm sure you can find one. Good luck.

I would simply explain to the people ( if any ) at your table about your condition and do it discreetly. I understand some people saying go to the restroom but personally I wouldn't change my schedule followed at home. You don't want to risk doing something that would make you feel unwell. Enjoy your cruise.

When I was using the insulin pen I would simply lift up the corner of my shirt, use the pen and put it away. No one even noticed what I did and if they did they only noticed a bulk in my shirt. As long as your are discreet you'll be fine. It's not like there are tons of other distractions at the table.

I am on a pump now so its easy peasy! I never have left to give an injection. The pen is so fast and discreet....do you not have a pen? Look into it. That is a quick stab as people are chatting. If your not sure about timing just time it as you usually do because there will always be bread to keep you from dropping. Maybe a little cranberry juice ordered before?

Unless like a certain friend I know that makes a big show out of the injection, you would never even know I took mine. In fact, after a very exhausting excursion I was in no mood to walk over to the restroom and since I was wearing a polo shirt I discreetly lifted the shirt a tiny bit and gave myself the shot (from a pen, no drawing insulin from a vial into a syringe).

In as gently a manner as possible no flame intended, your view is considered narrow minded.

I'm also in the camp that says not to do this in the dining room. I don't think this is narrow minded at all. The OP asked for input.

I will fully admit, I am one of those people who might get squimish about this. Having said that, if you need to do this in the MDR then I see no reason why you should not! If the restroom would be a possiblity as some have emntioned thats another idea, but I would hate for your trip to be ruined because you are concerned about other people.

There are some people who might try to attract attention or make a show. You posting this question IMO means clearly you do not want to, so please... eat at the MDR. Enjoy your meal and do your shots discreatly if possible. If you are not trying to attact attention you will not get any. Those who are bothered by what you are doing for heath reasons shouldn't have been watching you in the first place.

If you have tablemates, simply give them a short explanation and leave it at that. (If this is a big issue for them then they can request to be moved.) If you can do my time dining/your line's version of it that might be ideal since your travelmates would already know and you would have little to no people to possible offend?

Either way, do what you need to do and enjoy your trip. You have just as much of a right to be there as anyone else.

I used to be self concsious about do it that as well in public places. It was more out of consideration for others around. I know how queezy some folks can get or they don't understand what we are doing. I used to to use a pen injector as well. It makes it easier to administer and quicker with a level of descretion. But depending on where your injection site is, might be best to excuse yourself to find a more "private" shoot up location. I now use an insulin pump like some of the others have said. No need to worry about that anymore. Life is just grand!

Ask the maitre'd if it's OK to do this in the MDR. There may be rules against it due to insurance or liability concerns. But for me, I'm not one who thinks it's a good idea, and knowing there's a restroom right outside the door of the MDR, there's really no reason to do this in front of other passengers who might get squeemish about it. Heck, I have a friend who faints when seeing an epi pen.

I have a family member who always gives herself a shot at the dinner table, regardless of the restaurant. Although we know what she is doing, the next table would have no idea. She is very discrete and only looks like she is looking into her purse for something.

It would not bother me in the least if I saw someone giving themselves an insulin shot at a dinner table. If I knew a person was considering doing this and asked how we felt, we would tell them no problem. If a person doesn't like it, they can always look the other way.

I have no idea why it would make another person queasy or uncomfortable, it's just a quick shot and they aren't giving it to you.

Ask the maitre'd if it's OK to do this in the MDR. There may be rules against it due to insurance or liability concerns. But for me, I'm not one who thinks it's a good idea, and knowing there's a restroom right outside the door of the MDR, there's really no reason to do this in front of other passengers who might get squeemish about it. Heck, I have a friend who faints when seeing an epi pen.

I don't that it's the M'Ds business at all. By that reasoning everyone should have to tell them they are taking their pill medication during meals? I know for a fact that there is not a restroom outside of one of the MDRs on Princess. It would take them at least 5 to 10 minutes to get to the bathroom either by stairs or elevator as there is nothing outside the doors but that option. Why would your friend faint seeing a thick looking pen? They don't have to see the needed unless it is pointed out to them.

It would be an involuntary reaction on my part but it would be an appetite killer for me to sit at a table or nearby a table within my line of sight and watch someone give themselves a shot in the belly at the dining room table. I mean no disrespect and understand your need for your medication but the others have pointed out a nearby restroom would be a good idea. If you need carb immediately after injecting, request your steward always have the bread basket on your table and you can have your whole wheat bread.

Seeing you asked the question, I suspect you imagined there were some folks who would not handle seeing you take such medication at the dining table.

I wish you well and hope you understand there are certain things out of one's control and being squeamish at that is one of them;

Best wishes.

Archived