Credit Cards in Europe

This may be a strange question but...

Are Mastercard CC and Visa CC accepted equally in places like Greece, Rome and Turkey. I agree with the advice of taking 2 different cards in case one is denied or eaten by an ATM but all my cards are MC and I am wondering if I might come across an establishment that only accepts Visa?

Thanks.

Ron

MasterCard and Visa seem to be accepted everywhere we have travelled in Europe. However, you should notify your card companies about the countries you plan to visit. Otherwise, your card may be rejected at the ATM or vendor.

Are Mastercard CC and Visa CC accepted equally in places like Greece, Rome and Turkey. I agree with the advice of taking 2 different cards in case one is denied or eaten by an ATM but all my cards are MC and I am wondering if I might come across an establishment that only accepts Visa?

Thanks.

Ron

Where they accept CC both are accepted. Most major stores and eating places take them. You'll find more places that prefer or only take cash. Also some attractions ONLY take local currency. Do check ahead to insure you don't run out and are stuck extracting cash from ATM, CC, or worst the ship.

As other poster said Capital One advertises and does indeed have the best rates with no charges. It is worth getting it for just that to save the 2-3% most cards charge for foreign transactions.

Thanks.

Ron

There are many participating establishment services in Europe with Visa and Mastercard . The only problem, as we tested, there are some shops, especially in Southern Europe (Greece, Rome and southern Italy) in spite of showing their tags, don't accept them prefering cash payment (telling you the machine doesn't work or line problems). So I suggest you to bring both credit cards as well as some cash.

Anval37.

in case one is denied or eaten by an ATM

Are you saying that you intend to use your CC for a cash advance while in Europe? Otherwise there is little need to put a CC into an ATM machine.

You should include an ATM card (visa is most common) in your wallet so that you can have local currency from your cash reserves at home.

If you use a CC for local currency, that is a 'cash advance' and it is rather pricey....daily interest accrual (high) and all that.

Are you saying that you intend to use your CC for a cash advance while in Europe? Otherwise there is little need to put a CC into an ATM machine.

You should include an ATM card (visa is most common) in your wallet so that you can have local currency from your cash reserves at home.

If you use a CC for local currency, that is a 'cash advance' and it is rather pricey....daily interest accrual (high) and all that.

I had planned to take 2 ATM cards as well. I was just asking about using the CC in that way for emergencies.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Ron

Attn Ron

There are no problems at all - In europe either MC or Visa cards are accepted - Usually at the moment of the agreement to be signed with the proposal bank, such banks submit both brands ( Visa and Mastercard )

Don't warry about -

Best regards

Gunther ( Frankfurt - Germany )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

Ron

Thanks.

Ron

Most places accept both but don't forget to call your credit card companys and tell them that you will be traveling and where you will be.

Archived