• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Hahahahaha - I see your non-Scotland Union Jack............

Let us know how the voting goes tomorrow.

g

I don't think you will need me to tell you mate. It will be all over the news either way. I'm sure you already know my thoughts on the matter, but this isn't the place for me to air them! This place is all about the cruisin'. ;)

By the way, the green is for Wales, which isn't represented on the current flag. The design is apparently one being considered if it needs to be changed. I think it's quite fetching!!

Edited by Towncar T

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife and I visited the Radio City Tower on our wedding anniversary. Neither of us had been up there since it was a restaurant back in the 1970's and 80's. What an incredible view! It was only five pounds each to enter and was worth it for the 360 degree panoramic views over the city and far beyond. Well worth a visit.:)

My wife and I visited the Radio City Tower on our wedding anniversary. Neither of us had been up there since it was a restaurant back in the 1970's and 80's. What an incredible view! It was only five pounds each to enter and was worth it for the 360 degree panoramic views over the city and far beyond. Well worth a visit.:)

Thanks - it sounds like a great addition to our already very busy schedule for our day in Liverpool :)

Thanks - it sounds like a great addition to our already very busy schedule for our day in Liverpool :)

Remember to take your camera! One note of caution. Don't bother if it's a rainy or misty day. The views will be average at best. You only need to allow about half an hour maximum when you are up there. It's really just a great photo opportunity and nothing else. The lift (elevator) is like a speeding bullet and gets you to the top in not very long at all!:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Liverpool is great at this time of year too. The city is a great party destination and this time of year sees the restaurants and bars packed with seasonal revellers. Time to start planning next year's cruise to Cruise Critic's TOP UK destination port for 2014.

All the best for the festive season :)

• 3 months later...
Hi Towncar. I'm just starting my research for my June 2, 2015 cruise on the Royal Princess. We arrive in Liverpool on Saturday June 6th and we're there from 7:30-22:00. Thank you for continuing on with this amazing thread. You have helped so many people with their planning, myself included.

Because of our long port day in Liverpool, my husband would like to get in a round of golf. I've been researching golf courses in the area that have easy access from the port. He would love to play the Royal Liverpool. I emailed them, but they haven't returned my email as of yet. From their website, it doesn't look like they take visitors on Saturdays, especially for only one golfer. Can you give me any recommendations for golf courses in the area that are doable on a Saturday and will also have clubs to rent? I know it's premature, but I want to get an idea of the different courses he can play on. Thank you.

Bonnie

OK. First thing I would say is that if your husband wants a game of golf then that shouldn't be much of a problem. As a golfer myself, I have played most of the courses in the locality, including Royal Liverpool (which isn't in Liverpool by the way).

I think that your final planning for this should wait until early next year, as the clubs won't have produced their diaries for next year yet, so they won't know what is on that date. One problem is that most clubs have weekend competitions around that time of year, which would mean that they dont accept visitors, but they won't necessarily have something on that day.

I doubt very much that Royal Liverpool would take a booking from a single golfer on a Saturday ( or any other day) but you never know. A good friend of mine is a member there, so I can ask.

I can DEFINITELY help to sort out something in the new year, which still gives heaps of time. One thing I have to ask is what is your husband's handicap and can he provide a handicap certificate? Many of the better clubs require handicap certificates from players and some impose limits on handicaps.

There are lots and lots of great courses in this area, so I don't see a problem in organising a game.:)

T

Hi. It's that time of year to bump up this wonderful thread for all of this season's cruisers to Liverpool. I would like to know your suggestions for booking a game of golf for my husband. What club would you recommend which is close to port and might be easy to get on the course on a Saturday with one player? I know this might be a hard order to place, but any help will be much appreciated. His handicap is 16 and he can provide a certificate. Thanks. Bonnie

Hi Towncar. I'm just starting my research for my June 2, 2015 cruise on the Royal Princess. We arrive in Liverpool on Saturday June 6th and we're there from 7:30-22:00. Thank you for continuing on with this amazing thread. You have helped so many people with their planning, myself included.

Because of our long port day in Liverpool, my husband would like to get in a round of golf. I've been researching golf courses in the area that have easy access from the port. He would love to play the Royal Liverpool. I emailed them, but they haven't returned my email as of yet. From their website, it doesn't look like they take visitors on Saturdays, especially for only one golfer. Can you give me any recommendations for golf courses in the area that are doable on a Saturday and will also have clubs to rent? I know it's premature, but I want to get an idea of the different courses he can play on. Thank you.

Bonnie

OK. First thing I would say is that if your husband wants a game of golf then that shouldn't be much of a problem. As a golfer myself, I have played most of the courses in the locality, including Royal Liverpool (which isn't in Liverpool by the way).

I think that your final planning for this should wait until early next year, as the clubs won't have produced their diaries for next year yet, so they won't know what is on that date. One problem is that most clubs have weekend competitions around that time of year, which would mean that they dont accept visitors, but they won't necessarily have something on that day.

I doubt very much that Royal Liverpool would take a booking from a single golfer on a Saturday ( or any other day) but you never know. A good friend of mine is a member there, so I can ask.

I can DEFINITELY help to sort out something in the new year, which still gives heaps of time. One thing I have to ask is what is your husband's handicap and can he provide a handicap certificate? Many of the better clubs require handicap certificates from players and some impose limits on handicaps.

There are lots and lots of great courses in this area, so I don't see a problem in organising a game.:)

T

Hi. It's that time of year to bump up this wonderful thread for all of this season's cruisers to Liverpool. I would like to know your suggestions for booking a game of golf for my husband. What club would you recommend which is close to port and might be easy to get on the course on a Saturday with one player? I know this might be a hard order to place, but any help will be much appreciated. His handicap is 16 and he can provide a certificate. Thanks. Bonnie

Hi Bonnie

One player is going to be a problem anywhere. For starters, just remind me of the date you are in port and the times you are docked. Also, will your husband have his own clubs with him?

T

Hi Bonnie

One player is going to be a problem anywhere. For starters, just remind me of the date you are in port and the times you are docked. Also, will your husband have his own clubs with him?

T

We'll be in port Saturday, June 6th, arriving at 7:00 and leaving 22:00. He will need to rent clubs. I'll ask on my roll call if anyone else is interested in playing. Thanks.

I sent some inquiries to some clubs in the area. So far, Saturdays seem like they're for members only. Do you know of any companies that do golf outings for the day? Sometimes they have an inside connection to get into the club. Thanks.

I sent some inquiries to some clubs in the area. So far, Saturdays seem like they're for members only. Do you know of any companies that do golf outings for the day? Sometimes they have an inside connection to get into the club. Thanks.

That's a pity. Down in Hampshire, the local golf club welcomes visitors at the weekend. :)

In fact, just this week, they saw a visitor on his own and asked him if he wanted to join them, which he did as he was pleased for the company.

Edited by turnip eater

i don't know of any local clubs that don't accept visitors at weekends, unless there is a competition on that day, which is quite likely at that time of the year. I would take him to my own club, but the course is closed to visitors that day because we have a members' competition all day. There is still quite a bit of time to go. Let me make some enquiries. It is very unusual for visitors to play alone, anywhere, but they will always be made welcome if the club can accommodate them. It would be much easier if you could find somebody from your roll call who would play too. :)

Edited by Towncar T

Just a thought. There aren't really any clubs close to port, so your husband would have to travel out to a local course in any case. Depending on where he was able to play, I'd estimate taxi fares at between £20-£30 each way. Then there would be club hire and green fees to pay. Do you have a budget in mind?

Have you checked if the ship can offer a shore excursion that takes in a round of golf. I recently played a magnificent course in Hawaii and the ship took care of everything- for a price! Worth checking though, as if they do then they will solve all the logistical problems too :-)

He was willing to travel and I saw that there is a train to Royal Liverpool, but as said, no availability and even if there was, he would need to prepay around 200gbp and what happens of it rains? I guess we'll have to take a land trip at some point or cruise on one of the luxury lines that have golf themed cruises. Princess doesn't offer any golf shore excursions. Liverpool was appealing for him because we are in port till 22:00, which gave him plenty of time and flexibility.

Are you still a member at Wallasey golf club? If so, is there anyone you can talk to about him playing a game that day? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

He was willing to travel and I saw that there is a train to Royal Liverpool, but as said, no availability and even if there was, he would need to prepay around 200gbp and what happens of it rains? I guess we'll have to take a land trip at some point or cruise on one of the luxury lines that have golf themed cruises. Princess doesn't offer any golf shore excursions. Liverpool was appealing for him because we are in port till 22:00, which gave him plenty of time and flexibility.

Are you still a member at Wallasey golf club? If so, is there anyone you can talk to about him playing a game that day? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

I've never been a member of Wallassey GC. Don't know where that came from. Perhaps I mentioned it on another post? Nonetheless, it doesn't matter who you know, if there is a competition then the course is only open to members in that competition. This is rapidly becoming a personal challenge! I have checked with a few golfing friends and all of them are already playing at their club on those days. Does your husband only want to play at a prestigious club, or is he looking for a game pretty much anywhere? That might open up one or two more options. :-)

Any course will do. Thanks again. You're the best!

OK. I will ring a friend of mine who is the club pro at a course about 15 miles from the port. He just might be able to sort something out for your husband. Still nobody from your roll call willing to make up a pair with him?

Edited by Towncar T

• 2 weeks later...
Still working on the golf. I don't give up easily!! :)

You're a good man. Nobody on my roll call shows any interest in playing golf for our day in Liverpool. It's still just my husband. Keeping our fingers crossed. If it doesn't work out, I know you tried your hardest and I thank you for that.