Alask in 13 days!! Some questions about what to wear

moofus

Leaving out of Seattle June 14th, for the 7 days on Rhapsody of the Seas. We are from fl and have very very few warm things. I generally am hot all the time so I hate wearing jackets, coats etc. I am most comfortable in 70 and below weather. But DH is pushing for the fleece lined jackets, shawls and gloves ( he is from NY, go figure!) we are whale watching with Cpn. Larry in Juneau and will layer, as we will be on the water the whole time. White Pass rail tour in Skagway and the gardens in Victoria. Wondering how much warm stuff I'll actually need. Planning to wear jeans and cargo pants during the day and leggins for dinner. Sneakers( not for dinner:)), no hiking boots... will I be okay?

If you are normally warm that is good.

I would still bring something like a jacket that is water proof if you have it and a sweater or sweatshirt or fleece for the whale watching and for being out on the open deck for glacier viewing.

Other items you mentioned sound good.

Keith

Leaving out of Seattle June 14th, for the 7 days on Rhapsody of the Seas. We are from fl and have very very few warm things. I generally am hot all the time so I hate wearing jackets, coats etc. I am most comfortable in 70 and below weather. But DH is pushing for the fleece lined jackets, shawls and gloves ( he is from NY, go figure!) we are whale watching with Cpn. Larry in Juneau and will layer, as we will be on the water the whole time. White Pass rail tour in Skagway and the gardens in Victoria. Wondering how much warm stuff I'll actually need. Planning to wear jeans and cargo pants during the day and leggins for dinner. Sneakers( not for dinner:)), no hiking boots... will I be okay?

You will probably be fine, but I would recommend adding a waterproof rain jacket. Nothing hot or heavy, just a light waterproof shell that can go over whatever other layers you are wearing.

If your DH tends to be cold, then bringing a hat and gloves for when on deck (glacier viewing, whale watching, etc.) is a good idea. Fleece jackets are also good, but don't go as far as parkas. :)

We have several cruises in June. I am also always hot -- and I live in PA.

We have had some very rainy, chilly weather the middle of June.

Best to dress in layers.

I wear slacks (no jeans for me) and leather loafers.

We do own GorTex jackets with zippered linings.

Have a great cruise and come back and tell us all about it.

The weather will probably be warmer in June. But, I would say to make sure you have a fleece lined jacket. If you are out on the ship or balcony taking in the scenery, it can be quite breezy which makes it seem cooler. If anything though...make sure you have a rain jacket. I saw so many people without rain coats I was amazed.

Just got off the Pearl yesterday. I thought I did a pretty good packing job. I'm not going to list my dress night stuff. For excursions and during the day: 3 light weight sweaters, 1 heavier sweater, 1 turtle neck to go under sweaters, 2 long sleeve cotton shirts, 2 light weight blouses with tanks underneath them, 1 sweat suit outfit for plane, 3 pair of jeans, everyday socks, ear muffs, gloves, scarf, 2 pair of tennis shoes, 1 fleece jacket and a rain coat. Never needed the turtle neck or scarf. Had small backpack when we went on excursions, to keep extra coats. I was all prepared for the cold weather, then

in Juneau it ended up being in the high 70s & Skagway high 70s. Glacier Bay was the coldest day: I wore a sweater, fleece, rain coat with hood, ear muffs, & gloves. Victoria, again warm. So like people keep saying, have layers.

Archived