Regent Explorer

Has anybody that has been on the Explorer in the past year, been on what they think was a better ship with better food and better amenities if so what ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me personally, the Explorer ranks #1 for my most favorite cabin (concierge or one grade lower...same cabin). Spaciousness of ship is wonderful, food is some of the very best we've had (I'll leave it at that), however I truly detest the decor. Would I sail on the Explorer again? Absolutely!

Explorer is excellent, but Seven Seas Mariner is still our favourite.

Nothing to do with food or amenities; just the general design & layout of Mariner works better for us.

It's a close call but I still favour our first love - the Mariner - too!

It's a close call but I still favour our first love - the Mariner - too!

Mariner for us too, will be doing Explorer next month so will have been on all Regent's ships after that so will be able to judge better by then.

Pam.

Since the Mariner has the same food, same chefs (that rotate), how could the food be better (consistently)?

Not sure what is meant by amenities in this case. If you are speaking about the suites, with the exception of entry level suites (very few of them an they are really best for singles), the deluxe suites on Explorer are considerably larger overall and have have larger balconies, larger closets and a bathroom that is almost twice the size of those on the Mariner (plus, the Mariner either has one terrible bathtub/shower combo or a shower only while the Explorer has a large shower and lovely bathtub along with double sinks and plenty of storage space).

I understand that some Regent customer prefer different ships but, again, the food is basically the same on all Regent ships. We love the Voyager but cannot say that the food or amenities are better than the Explorer (which I believe is the TS's question).

Since the Mariner has the same food, same chefs (that rotate), how could the food be better (consistently)?

Not sure what is meant by amenities in this case. If you are speaking about the suites, with the exception of entry level suites (very few of them an they are really best for singles), the deluxe suites on Explorer are considerably larger overall and have have larger balconies, larger closets and a bathroom that is almost twice the size of those on the Mariner (plus, the Mariner either has one terrible bathtub/shower combo or a shower only while the Explorer has a large shower and lovely bathtub along with double sinks and plenty of storage space).

I understand that some Regent customer prefer different ships but, again, the food is basically the same on all Regent ships. We love the Voyager but cannot say that the food or amenities are better than the Explorer (which I believe is the TS's question).

I think it's maybe about people's experience on board certain ships on the whole rather than individual critiques about single issues. (well this is my opinion)

We liked the Mariner the best because on our 2 sailings we had a great itinerary, met wonderful people and there was a good flow to the ship. Of course, another person on these same cruises may not have had as good an experience as we did so it is surely all about the individual sailings rather than the ship itself?

Pam.

I think it's maybe about people's experience on board certain ships on the whole rather than individual critiques about single issues. (well this is my opinion)

We liked the Mariner the best because on our 2 sailings we had a great itinerary, met wonderful people and there was a good flow to the ship. Of course, another person on these same cruises may not have had as good an experience as we did so it is surely all about the individual sailings rather than the ship itself?

Pam.

This is true but the TS was asking about food and amenities which are not better (or worse) on any Regent ship. Just trying to respond to goldenrod's actual question.

Thanks for the replies , we have been on all but the Explorer but it's been ten years since on Regent and very much looking forward to our 24 days on the Explorer.

This is true but the TS was asking about food and amenities which are not better (or worse) on any Regent ship. Just trying to respond to goldenrod's actual question.

Forgive me for expanding on the original question.

(goldenrod)....love the name and i apologise if i took the thread in another direction. Hope you get something that suits you. Regent are fabulous and i'm sure you will love whatever ship you chose.

Happy travels.

Pam.

Simple answer....... no - definitely not!

For you maybe. I admit I haven't sailed on Explorer and never will until Regent changes its excursion policy but I would never make such a blanket statement since you may not think there is anything better out there but I bet plenty of others do.

Thanks for the replies , we have been on all but the Explorer but it's been ten years since on Regent and very much looking forward to our 24 days on the Explorer.

Hi, just for curiosity, what ship did you prefer from the 3 others when you sailed Regent, did you have a favourite then?

Pam.

Hi, just for curiosity, what ship did you prefer from the 3 others when you sailed Regent, did you have a favourite then?

Pam.

We liked them all but Mariner was favorite with Voyager second.

We liked them all but Mariner was favorite with Voyager second.

We are exactly the same as you.

Our Explorer trip next month will also be our first so it will be exciting to hear your thoughts.

Pam.

For us, Explorer is the first Regent ship to combine the best of the Regent Voyager and our other favorites, the Oceania Riviera and Mariner, due to the addition of the top-flight Pacific Rim pan-Asian restaurant, the large and excellent teaching kitchen, the fun 18-hole putting course, the excellent coffee bar, the cigar lounge (which the O ships lack), the large main swimming pool, and the spa's infinity pool, sauna, steambath, heated tile chaises, cave showers, and other varied free spa amenities. We only book the PH suites on the O ships and the E or ideally the F suites on the Explorer, because we need a walk-in closet and a bath tub.

For you maybe. I admit I haven't sailed on Explorer and never will until Regent changes its excursion policy but I would never make such a blanket statement since you may not think there is anything better out there but I bet plenty of others do.

I understand your point but all we can do is compare Explorer with other ships that we have been on. Comments from people that have been on Explorer as well as other luxury ships can chime in anytime they wish.

Actually, the original question asked was "Has anyone who has been on Explorer in the past year been on what they think was a better ship...". So anyone who hasn't been on any other ships in the past year (myself included) could easily and truthfully answer the TS's question with a definite 'No'. I have NOT been on a better ship in the last year, I haven't been on a worse ship, either. In fact, I haven't sailed on anything other than a Regent ship since about 2011...

Actually, the original question asked was "Has anyone who has been on Explorer in the past year been on what they think was a better ship...". So anyone who hasn't been on any other ships in the past year (myself included) could easily and truthfully answer the TS's question with a definite 'No'. I have NOT been on a better ship in the last year, I haven't been on a worse ship, either. In fact, I haven't sailed on anything other than a Regent ship since about 2011...

Perhaps your first response (as well as Zqueeze1, Caroldoll ad mine) were not complicated enough:evilsmile: :D Seriously though, the TS was quite clear that they wanted responses from those of us that have sailed on Explorer in the past year. Pretty simple request IMO. For those that are interested in all of the details of Explorer, do a search as there are many threads about this wonderful ship. OTOH, you can always start a new thread and ask specific questions like the TS did.

Edited by Travelcat2

We are exactly the same as you.

Our Explorer trip next month will also be our first so it will be exciting to hear your thoughts.

Pam.

Our trip is not till 2018 so we would love to hear your thoughts when you get back! Have a great time!

<Comments from people that have been on Explorer as well as other luxury ships can chime in anytime they wish.>

:rolleyes:

Since I meet the requirements to contribute to this thread, I'll simply say that, much as we enjoyed many aspects of Explorer, there were one or two specifics we missed from other Regent ships. The main "miss" is the lack of a forward facing outside deck, which, since we were on a trans Panama Canal cruise, was quite an important feature. Though we quite enjoyed pre-dinner drinks in the comfortable lobby area outside the bar adjacent to Compass Rose (and the accompanying parade of people to fuel conversation) we never really found a favourite bolt-hole for drinks on a par with say, the Horizon Lounge or Voyager Bar. We liked the contemporary decor of our suite on Explorer rather better than the older, more dated style we were used to (Voyager was refurbished last Autumn immediately following our disembarkation) and we also enjoyed the lunchtime service in the speciality restaurants. So, on balance, I'd say that there were both plus and minus points from our point of view and we continue to choose and book our cruises on the basis of the itinerary and not the specific ship.