****Airfare Alert****

We often see fare alerts for cruises but I thought there would be some interest in European Airfare drops as well. In the last week to 10 days, airfare from major cities of the US to Europe have dropped 50%, 60%, and in some cases up to 70% off. Pretty much all the carriers followed each other. So if you're planning a cruise to Europe, you might want to check things out!

Not from the NY metro airports. Direct flight prices to Barcelona are out of this world. I was lucky that I booked a direct on American from Philly for $727 per some 6 months ago for travel in late August.

I read an article on Yahoo Finance that Ryan Air was slashing it's fares, but that would impact the Euro Zone market.

Not from the NY metro airports. Direct flight prices to Barcelona are out of this world. I was lucky that I booked a direct on American from Philly for $727 per some 6 months ago for travel in late August.

I read an article on Yahoo Finance that Ryan Air was slashing it's fares, but that would impact the Euro Zone market.

I've seen about a 10% drop on our fare from STL->FCO from Royal's Air2Sea.

I've seen about a 10% drop on our fare from STL->FCO from Royal's Air2Sea.

On my flight, with about a month to go, there are some 100+ seats still available. Most of them are for add'l cost and the others are middle seats. Not sure if it will eventually impact the fares.

On my flight, with about a month to go, there are some 100+ seats still available. Most of them are for add'l cost and the others are middle seats. Not sure if it will eventually impact the fares.

Our flight is in November, and there are still a good number of seats available. Way more Economy Plus seats than I expected at this point.

In the last week to 10 days, airfare from major cities of the US to Europe have dropped 50%, 60%, and in some cases up to 70% off. Pretty much all the carriers followed each other.

And in some cases airfare has stayed the same or gone up. Lots of variables including city pairs, dates of travel, etc.

I did a trans-Atlantic a few years ago because one-way air was reasonable. Started looking again this year and even with decent cruise fares the air is sometimes more than triple the cruise fare. Looks like I will be staying on this side of the pond for now.

I did a trans-Atlantic a few years ago because one-way air was reasonable. Started looking again this year and even with decent cruise fares the air is sometimes more than triple the cruise fare. Looks like I will be staying on this side of the pond for now.

If you are eligible to use Royal's Air2Sea (old Choice Air), you may find much more reasonable fares.

Interesting. After reading other posts in this thread, I guess I'm sorry I started this thread! But I do know that from Houston, DFW, and/or Miami, prices dropped drastically last week to Amsterdam & London for British Air, KLM & United. Our flights dropped from $1600/pp to $500/pp for economy plus type seating. In fact, the drop in pricing was a large enough decrease that it made the Yahoo News. Interesting. BTW, we booked BA direct and did not use a 3rd party booking service.

After reading other posts in this thread, I guess I'm sorry I started this thread!

Don't be - it's nice to give folks a heads up on potential price drops - just like on cabins. Just don't assume it applies to everyone.

Interesting. After reading other posts in this thread, I guess I'm sorry I started this thread! But I do know that from Houston, DFW, and/or Miami, prices dropped drastically last week to Amsterdam & London for British Air, KLM & United. Our flights dropped from $1600/pp to $500/pp for economy plus type seating. In fact, the drop in pricing was a large enough decrease that it made the Yahoo News. Interesting. BTW, we booked BA direct and did not use a 3rd party booking service.

It may be worth it for some folks to fly to one of these cities and then get the cheaper long haul fares.

Just rechecked prices for Oct Transatlantic airfare. Lax to Heathrow one way.. AA $252.00, KLM $207, Air France $292.00. Economy plus under $700 on all three. Great prices right now.

I suspect that most folks don't realize that the major airlines change fares up to 30 times - PER DAY!

Also, certain days of the week have price reductions routinely.

Checking frequently is one solution...but in the end...different airlines have their own policies on fare changes.

Finally, departure days and returns also can make a big difference in fares (Tuesday-Thursday flights are usually lower in cost than Fri-Mon). Supply and demand plays a big role.

Still depends on travel dates! There was no system-wide reduction in prices for all travel dates.

Supply and demand plays a big role.

Yep. Trying to second guess an airline's' complicated algorithm for price adjustments is just that- a guessing game.