Falmouth businesses not prepared for first cruise ship.

bajathree

What a bust Falmouth is starting to look like already:( There is little wonder right now why the Eastern routes are bringing such a premium to the Western when it comes to Oasis/Allure.....first Haiti has everyone spooked with all the problems there....then this mess in Jamaica ....do us a favor Royal....stick with Cost Maya till this gets straightened out and Falmouth is really ready to accept passengers;)....which from all reports is likely to be no time soon:rolleyes: Right now Falmouth is just looking like a dock an hours excursion ride away to Mobay.

http://go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=25321

I expressed my concern about Falmouth with an email to RCL, they called me a few days later and reassured me that they were satisfied with the progress of the port and told me they would be stopping there. I'd prefer we didn't, but I think they have their minds made up.

I expressed my concern about Falmouth with an email to RCL, they called me a few days later and reassured me that they were satisfied with the progress of the port and told me they would be stopping there. I'd prefer we didn't, but I think they have their minds made up.

I wouldn't expect much different of a response after all the $$$$$$$$ they have dumped into this project. Problem is that Royals investment is in the development of the immediate port....not whats outside it....and that seems to be something they aren't going to have much control over.

I have lttle doubt they will be stopping in Falmouth. They have 66 excursions listed on their website for the port.

Problem is only a very small amount of those 66 excursions stay in Falmouth ....most excursions are taking you an hours ride away over to Mobay or elsewhere. So why did they put a dock in Falmouth just to bus you back over to Mobay:confused:more travel time and more expense due to it....that's what I pretty much see when looking at most those excursions they have listed. There sure doesn't sound like there is going to be a thing in Falmouth to do on your own....this is going to be a port you better have an excursion planned for.

Problem is only a very small amount of those 66 excursions stay in Falmouth ....most excursions are taking you an hours ride away over to Mobay or elsewhere. So why did they put a dock in Falmouth just to bus you back over to Mobay:confused:more travel time and more expense due to it....that's what I pretty much see when looking at most those excursions they have listed. There sure doesn't sound like there is going to be a thing in Falmouth to do on your own....this is going to be a port you better have an excursion planned for.

When I was on the phone with them, they wanted to stress the point that the reason they chose Falmouth was because it was halfway between Ocho Rios and Montego bay. They said most passengers want one or the other, and by going to Falmouth that allowed passengers to go on excursions to either port.

Tell you what..

I hope they have a kiosk at the new terminal, to buy some Blue Mountain Coffee.

If so, I will dis-embark, get my coffee and, get right back on the ship.

There is nothing there I am interested in seeing.

The last time we were in Jamaica, a gang of toughs wanted to board the bus. The driver shut the door on them, and, drove off as they beat the bus with sticks.

I hate to think what would have happened if they would have gotten on the bus.

When I was on the phone with them, they wanted to stress the point that the reason they chose Falmouth was because it was halfway between Ocho Rios and Montego bay. They said most passengers want one or the other, and by going to Falmouth that allowed passengers to go on excursions to either port.

Well I am sure it will be a profitable stop for them since they are now selling Falmouth heavily as an excursion destination......but that's not how I remembered they selling Falmouth with the original renderings.

Problem is only a very small amount of those 66 excursions stay in Falmouth ....most excursions are taking you an hours this is going to be a port you better have an excursion planned for.

Or a great day planned on the ship!

Tell you what..

I hope they have a kiosk at the new terminal, to buy some Blue Mountain Coffee.

If so, I will dis-embark, get my coffee and, get right back on the ship.

There is nothing there I am interested in seeing.

The last time we were in Jamaica, a gang of toughs wanted to board the bus. The driver shut the door on them, and, drove off as they beat the bus with sticks.

I hate to think what would have happened if they would have gotten on the bus.

Just repeating what I was told, but the lady I spoke to seemed pretty adamant that that was why they picked the port. Either way I'd still rather just go to Montego Bay or Ocho Rios... or Grand Cayman for that matter

An hours bus ride away in Jamacia to either destination is not all that attractive to me.

I was under the impression that Falmouth was supposed to be some kind of old colonial village, a sort of tropical Williamsburg. Is this still the case? If so, and if they do it right, I think it could be someplace worth visiting. My one and only visit to Jamaica (Ocho Rios) turned me off to that destination, but I would be willing to consider a Falmouth stop, IF it ends up being something like I described.

I was under the impression that Falmouth was supposed to be some kind of old colonial village, a sort of tropical Williamsburg. Is this still the case? If so, and if they do it right, I think it could be someplace worth visiting. My one and only visit to Jamaica (Ocho Rios) turned me off to that destination, but I would be willing to consider a Falmouth stop, IF it ends up being something like I described.

Yes, you are correct .... that is what Falmouth was/is supposed to be. However, Royal's funding only goes as far as the port/pier....it's up to Jamaica to fund the rest, including the renovation of the town area and get business's up and running.... Ya mon....sorry but they can't seem to get out of their own way....have no idea why Royal dumped millions into a place few even want to visit and a country plagued with problems.

This was precisely my concern when I booked our 1/16 Voyager cruise. The last thing I want to do is ride some rickety bus over those awful roads to a place that I've been to at least a dozen times. If nothing's ready, we'll just stay on the ship ... I already told my wife to check out the in-port spa specials.

Why are people spooked?:mad: We had a wonderful day in Haiti on the Allure in early December, did a ship's excursion and had an absolute blast!!

I myself like Labadee... But I can tell you...the perception of most visiting Haiti is:eek:......you ask why:confused:All one has to do is turn on the news to see how bad things are just on the other side of that fence......lots of people have issue sipping drinks and parting while just miles away people are suffering, starving and dying in the streets.

... it was halfway between Ocho Rios and Montego bay. They said most passengers want one or the other, ....

Too funny, we where there, and half did a Rum tasting in Montego Bay.

the other did some Falls in Ocho Rios.

We had a short ride, they had a long one !!!!

:rolleyes:

This was precisely my concern when I booked our 1/16 Voyager cruise. The last thing I want to do is ride some rickety bus over those awful roads to a place that I've been to at least a dozen times. If nothing's ready, we'll just stay on the ship ... I already told my wife to check out the in-port spa specials.

We're on Voyager 1/16 too! :) I just may check out the spa specials for that day too..it's a great idea and probably more enjoyable. I'm not at all enthused about visiting Falmouth :(

I myself like Labadee... But I can tell you...the perception of most visiting Haiti is:eek:......you ask why:confused:All one has to do is turn on the news to see how bad things are just on the other side of that fence......lots of people have issue sipping drinks and parting while just miles away people are suffering, starving and dying in the streets.

My plan: I am on both sides of the Haitian fence (check out my pics if you wish). I have been to Labadee 3 times as a cruiser. Real Haiti multiple times. Labadee is introducing Haiti to tourism. It's a gorgeous country run by ......insert word here. The Gov. is threatened by anyone's success....trust me. The people are great,kind and honestly really happy but you will only meet a few vendors. You'll never meet a real Haitian who isn't selling in Labadee. Yes they can be aggressive. 80% unemployment - I would be aggressive. I won't reward aggression and will head towards the vendor who isn't acting like that- money talks. I actually writing down in Kreyol that I don't want aggressive vendors and will only shop if they don't push or grab. I see it as a chance to educate. Haiti is a very physical/demonstrative culture, as is Jamaica. It's a teachable moment for me for the good of Haiti/commerce. Jamaica seems rich in comparison. I am going to Falmouth with an open mind and probably sticking to the ship's excursion until I get to know the area better. (BUT if we go to Ochos- I'm calling Phil Lafayette!) Jamaica is gorgeous landscape. I don't want to sit on a boat that day. We just missed 2 ports on our Holland cruise and didn't touch land til Gr. Caymen. No seas days if I can avoid it.

Karen

I won't go out of my way to book a cruise stopping in Falmouth.

But believe it or not they have modern motor coach buses and new clean shuttles in Jamaica:rolleyes:

Archived