where do you put valuables while snorkeling?

Harooni

Anything not needed, usually including passports, stays on the ship.

Only a few beaches have lockers.

There are waterproof belts on the market.

On a chartered snorkel boat, stuff is OK on the boat - and you can check your stuff on return to the boat if you're concerned.

The risks are snorkelling from a beach, here's my thoughts on that:-

Credit card & sail card are OK in water, & go in a secure swimwear pocket. Dollar bills will also survive a swim as I accidentally found out,

Ship's towels, shoes, cheap sunglasses & odds are at-risk on the shore - ideally in the care of a fellow-cruiser (you can spot them cos they have the same towels).

Cheap camera mebbe at risk, depending more on whether treasured photos have been up-loaded, but with an expensive camera or anything else of great value such as passports (where required) one of us stays on the shore - usually by that time we've hooked up with a couple or two that we've met on the ship so that's rarely a problem.

And now that we have an underwater camera that's no longer a problem either.

You can normally sense whether a beach might be problematic.

Others will have different opinions on levels of security, and the old chestnut about whether to take passports ashore, but that's for debate on other threads ;)

Just MHO, as always

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

thanks for the feedback , i was worried about this. i will have of course cash ,creditcards, id, passports i always take just in case the ship sails off without you, designer sunglasses. my phone i need off ship also. :confused:

ps i would be taking the RC snorkel tour, would that make a difference?

Edited by Harooni

As JB mentioned: Do NOT take your passports with you in ports of call.

LuLu

and if you miss the ship? also i need my sons to re board the ship as his id.

Edited by Harooni

Take a COPY of your passport. (Having your passport number makes getting a replacement to you easier in the unlikely event you miss the ship.)

Also, be sure to take along the name and contact number of the ship's agent in port.

LuLu

ps i would be taking the RC snorkel tour, would that make a difference?

When taking an official excursion, they will most likely have a place to store your items either on the boat and/or in the vehicle they use to get you to the place where your excursion begins.

I would never be at a foreign country without a passport.

While snorkeling, I leave my stuff on the boat. I check it as soon as I'm out of the water. If something was missing, it would be pretty obvious the offender is on board, and I'd make sure no one got off until I got my stuff back. :-) Reputable companies will help ensure your stuff is safe. Their livelihood depends on cruise business, so they can't get a bad rap for theft on their boats.

There are pros & cons. Best not have your thread hijacked by that debate, read the latest thread on the subject & decide for yourself.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1978409

But since you're on an RCI excursion you'll not miss your sailing, or have your stuff stolen. :)

Which just leaves the small risk of passports getting damaged/wet

JB :)

If you must have your passport, then don't go snorkelling. Not even from a boat - after all, the crew could steal the passport and hide it where you can't find it - and how are you going to prove it didn't fall overboard?

You could go snorkelling on a ship's tour, or go in the morning when the ship doesn't leave till evening. In either of those circumstances, you couldn't possibly be so head-in-air as to miss the ship.

If you're on an excursion, leave your "valuables" on the boat...or bus.....whatever. Don't bring anything that you don't absolutely need.

If you're on the beach, and snorkeling on your own, put your cash, credit card and ship key in a velcroed pocket in your swim trunks (gotta be a man to do that, tho!)....water will not hurt any of those items. Don't bring your pricey camera!

If you're on an excursion, leave your "valuables" on the boat...or bus.....whatever. Don't bring anything that you don't absolutely need.

If you're on the beach, and snorkeling on your own, put your cash, credit card and ship key in a velcroed pocket in your swim trunks (gotta be a man to do that, tho!)....water will not hurt any of those items. Don't bring your pricey camera!

However, most women have a time-honored location for storing things, as well. The top of my swimsuit works well. :rolleyes:

Sorry...but not a good idea to leave your valuables on the transportation bus....but agree don't bring them.

I would never be at a foreign country without a passport.

While snorkeling, I leave my stuff on the boat. I check it as soon as I'm out of the water. If something was missing, it would be pretty obvious the offender is on board, and I'd make sure no one got off until I got my stuff back. :-) Reputable companies will help ensure your stuff is safe. Their livelihood depends on cruise business, so they can't get a bad rap for theft on their boats.

thank you , someone gets you need to bring certain things.

We take our vacation vault - google it. It is a locking compartment that you can attach and lock. Our past cruise when we were snorkeling we locked it around a pole on the boat. Has a combination lock. Get it in a bright color to help you spot it easier. Light wight and so as to not waste space in luggage - I stuff it full of dh's running socks. :D We love ours! I also use it in the cabin for items - lock it around the hanger pole in the closet - put a shirt over it - and no one would ever find it.

Do not take your passports with you. There is a far greater chance that you will lose or have stolen your passports than missing the ship. Don't risk it. Keep a small amount of cash and credit card with you in a water proof wallet that you keep on you at all times.

Keith