Once we get to Guatemala...

bling19572010

and take Celebrity's shuttle to Antigua, will it be possible to easily find a local guide to take us around and give us the history of Antigua?

Thank you.

There are gaggles of guides where they drop you off, usually near the market or at the big square. I would get advice from shuttle driver, I'd bet they have certain people the recomend, otherwise you might just get a local looking to make a few bucks but with no real knowledge. What may be easier/better/cheaper for you is to just get one of the good walking maps, they usually have facts and history of the various buildings and the whole city is very easy to walk around, well layed out and not really that geographically large. Just wear good shoes. Most streets are cobblestone, and these are REAL cobblestone, often uneven and rough. It truley is one of the most beautiful old cities in our hemisphere.

232323232%7Ffp432%3B5%3Enu%3D3237%3E696%3E439%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A8%3C932%3A8324nu0mrj

There are gaggles of guides where they drop you off, usually near the market or at the big square. I would get advice from shuttle driver, I'd bet they have certain people the recomend, otherwise you might just get a local looking to make a few bucks but with no real knowledge. What may be easier/better/cheaper for you is to just get one of the good walking maps, they usually have facts and history of the various buildings and the whole city is very easy to walk around, well layed out and not really that geographically large. Just wear good shoes. Most streets are cobblestone, and these are REAL cobblestone, often uneven and rough. It truley is one of the most beautiful old cities in our hemisphere.

232323232%7Ffp432%3B5%3Enu%3D3237%3E696%3E439%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A8%3C932%3A8324nu0mrj

Great information..thank you. My Mother will be in a wheelchair, will the streets be okay for her for a walking tour?

The main areas are pretty smooth, and such areas as the square are very smooth. There are also decent sidewalks in most areas. The further you get away from the main tourist areas, where the ST. Catalina archway is, and the main square and churches, the rougher the roads/sidewalks become. One good thing--no hills or grades of anykind. They keep up the roads and sidewalks better in Antigua than anywhere else in the country, but it's still not up to American standards, especially where wheel chair accesibility goes. So watch your step but have a blast!

The main areas are pretty smooth, and such areas as the square are very smooth. There are also decent sidewalks in most areas. The further you get away from the main tourist areas, where the ST. Catalina archway is, and the main square and churches, the rougher the roads/sidewalks become. One good thing--no hills or grades of anykind. They keep up the roads and sidewalks better in Antigua than anywhere else in the country, but it's still not up to American standards, especially where wheel chair accesibility goes. So watch your step but have a blast!

Awesome...thank you!

Archived