RCI- AUD 2 USD updated

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:44 PM.
2,072 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
For those of us whom are cruising with Royal Caribbean during their next season here, please note that they have updated their pricing to reflect the higher aud 2 usd.

This means that drink packages are now cheaper 😊

The question is do we buy now or hope that little Aussie dollar keeps arising against the all mighty usd?
Brisbane
342 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
At the moment some perceived weaknesses in the US economy is keeping the USD down and hence ours up.

The Reserve Bank would very much like to see the AUD go down against the US dollar. So far they haven't done much about it, but if the rates persist they probably will.

So in the long term I'd say that pressure will be on the AUD to fall. In the short term, who knows?
Houston TX and Mackay QLD
2,470 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Esilef
For those of us whom are cruising with Royal Caribbean during their next season here, please note that they have updated their pricing to reflect the higher aud 2 usd.

This means that drink packages are now cheaper 😊

The question is do we buy now or hope that little Aussie dollar keeps arising against the all mighty usd?
I would say buy now if you are planning on doing so. Not sure of your situation but they may re-introduce the 'everyone in the cabin needs to have one', so if you were the only drinker, might be a good option.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked
RCI Mariner - Singapore to Dubai - April 2018
RCI Mariner - Dubai to Barcelona - April 2018
RCI Mariner - Bracelona to Miami - May 2018

Completed
RCI Mariner - Shanghai to Singapore - October 2016
RCI Oasis - Western Caribbean - March 2015
RCI Serenade - New Orleans to Barcelona - April 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Uk and Northern Europe - Harwich to Copenhagen - May 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Miami - Panama Canal - Valparaiso- December 2013
RCI Mariner - Transatlantic - Galveston to Barcelona - April 2013 BTB with
RCI Mariner - Barcelona - Egypt - Jordan - Dubai - May 2013.
RCI Mariner - Transatlantic - Miami - Rome - May 2012 BTB with
RCI Mariner - Greece and Turkey - May 2012.
RCI Brilliance - Mediterranean/Venice - June 2011.
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltic Sea - Russia - June/July 2010.
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - August 2009.
RCI Mariner - Western Caribbean - November 2007
RCI Splendour - Cosumel - April 2007.
RCI Explorer - Western Caribbean - January 2005
48 Posts
Joined May 2015
Its interesting that they have dropped the price of the items to reflect the dollar rise (AUS$) but have not changed the exchange rate for the onboard credit. (Currently $1.31) but has peviously been around the $1.34 mark.

bl262000
Canberra Australia
37,230 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I would buy now as well, the 'Everyone in the Cabin' rule may or may not be introduced but I wouldn't expect the AUD to get much higher. The Aussie Government will try and keep it down.
Western Australia
334 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by joandian
I would say buy now if you are planning on doing so. Not sure of your situation but they may re-introduce the 'everyone in the cabin needs to have one', so if you were the only drinker, might be a good option.
I didn't know they had dropped the 'everyone in the cabin has to have a drinks package rule' thanks for the info
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop.
Houston TX and Mackay QLD
2,470 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by reedy8
I didn't know they had dropped the 'everyone in the cabin has to have a drinks package rule' thanks for the info
They changed that rule several years ago but are now conducting trials on Harmony with the rule back in place. Some think it's only a matter of time before it's being back to 'everyone in the cabin'. Annoying from my perspective as my husband drinks and I don't.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked
RCI Mariner - Singapore to Dubai - April 2018
RCI Mariner - Dubai to Barcelona - April 2018
RCI Mariner - Bracelona to Miami - May 2018

Completed
RCI Mariner - Shanghai to Singapore - October 2016
RCI Oasis - Western Caribbean - March 2015
RCI Serenade - New Orleans to Barcelona - April 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Uk and Northern Europe - Harwich to Copenhagen - May 2014
Celebrity Infinity - Miami - Panama Canal - Valparaiso- December 2013
RCI Mariner - Transatlantic - Galveston to Barcelona - April 2013 BTB with
RCI Mariner - Barcelona - Egypt - Jordan - Dubai - May 2013.
RCI Mariner - Transatlantic - Miami - Rome - May 2012 BTB with
RCI Mariner - Greece and Turkey - May 2012.
RCI Brilliance - Mediterranean/Venice - June 2011.
Celebrity Eclipse - Baltic Sea - Russia - June/July 2010.
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - August 2009.
RCI Mariner - Western Caribbean - November 2007
RCI Splendour - Cosumel - April 2007.
RCI Explorer - Western Caribbean - January 2005
206 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
We bought our drink packages 3 months ago for our November cruise and since then they've only gone up, up,up.
I hope they don't bring back the 'cabin' policy. It just makes things difficult.
Nth Queensland
212 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
So what is a good price in AUD for the alcohol drink package , be my first time with RCI In March next year, I think it's $81 a day at the moment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Pacific Pearl December 2013
P&O Pacific Jewel Nov 2014
Diamond Princess March 2015
P&O Pacific Pearl - Five Ships Celebration Nov 2015
Celebrity Solstice - South Pacific Islands Dec 2015
P&O Pacific Aria - June 2016
P&O Pacific Eden - November 2016 South Pacific
Celebrity Reflection - December 2016 Carribean Islands
P&O Pacific Jewel - June 2017 Tasmania Dark Mofo
2,072 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by Ru2on
So what is a good price in AUD for the alcohol drink package , be my first time with RCI In March next year, I think it's $81 a day at the moment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can buy now and secure the higher exchange rate (I did with my sons soda pack) and if they have a discounted sale rate then cancel and book at the cheaper rate.

Others on the Australian forum have advised that they have seen the packages discounted. The discount rate only seems to last a short time and is often not published. Best way to get this is to check you cruise planner daily and watch your role call for others posting. Not all sailings get the discounted rate it seems to depend on how sales of the packages are going.
48 Posts
Joined May 2015
Looks like with last nights "maintenance upgrade" the onboard credit rate changed, Now. $1US = $1.27AU. No longer the previous $1.31AU on offer.
So I think that means cheaper cruise planner purchases using OBC.
2,072 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by bl262000
Looks like with last nights "maintenance upgrade" the onboard credit rate changed, Now. $1US = $1.27AU. No longer the previous $1.31AU on offer.
Glad I got my sons soda package when I did.
48 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by Esilef
Glad I got my sons soda package when I did.
Unfortunately for you Esilef, I think its the other way round, the AUD amount on CP means now it is cheaper to buy the packages.using less US OCB.
Canberra Australia
37,230 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Cheers, it isn't much but it helps.
2,072 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Unfortunately for you Esilef, I think its the other way round, the AUD amount on CP means now it is cheaper to buy the packages.using less US OCB.
At least it's better than what it was.

Another thing paid for in advance as I'm not one of those people who likes to stand in a queue on the last night of the cruise and scream at guest services about a charge for a drink I might or might not have had on day 3 of the cruise.
Sydney, Australia
351 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Thanks Esilef for pointing out this change. We've reported it after finally getting the official details from Royal Caribbean in Miami.
https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8021
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Louise Goldsbury
Australia Editor, Cruise Critic

Read all the latest news: www.cruisecritic.com.au/news