First time solo concerns

catsea

Hey all!

I am considering booking my first solo cruise for next year. I have cruised before with my family, which was great, and I love doing my own thing so I feel like a solo cruise would be perfect, but I find the one thing holding me back is the safety concern. I am a female college student, 21, very short and honestly not intimidating. I am afraid of travelling by myself because I don't feel capable of defending myself in an unfortunate situation. Still, being on a ship seems safer than roaming a city in some foreign country.

I've thoroughly read some of the posts I've found about this topic, but none have been too comforting. Most of the commenters would say use common sense and don't let anyone know you're travelling alone, but I was looking into the Norwegian Epic because of it's low priced solo rooms. If you're staying there wouldn't it be obvious that you're alone? I'm also a terrible liar, lol.

I'm a really shy person and I don't want to go and then be so scared of people that I meet no one and sit around by myself for the entire trip. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences to take into consideration or any advice? I really want to do this on my own but I have seen way too many Dateline-type missing person murder stories and it's been freaking me out :'):loudcry:. Is there anything I could do to feel more secure?

Does NCL offer any way to room with someone else? I'm assuming there's nothing like that, and I'm not sure rooming with a stranger would be a good idea anyways, but it would be nice to know what my options are.

If you got this far thank you and I'm sorry that was such a rambling mess!

- C

Edited by catsea

Hi,

i am traveling alone and loving it. Will be on the Epic next week in solo cabin for the first time. Saved your thread and will give you an honest review after return .

There are a few solo reviews already here maybe these will be interesting for you.

For my first solo cruise i did one in Europe (i am german ), in case i would have hated it, it would have been relativly easy to go home at any point if the trip - never happened 😉

Solo female cruiser here since 2003. To me, cruising is one of the safest way for women to travel. Unless you're in your cabin (which has a dead bolt), you're never alone if you don't want to be. I usually take ship excursions for security reasons unless it's a port I'm familiar with and know the lay of the land. Key West, for example. I would never venture out on my own in Jamaica.

Quit watching Dateline. You'll be fine. I've not met predatory men on cruises who are prowling the ship for vulnerable women. Watch your alcohol intake and be aware of your surroundings both on and off the ship.

Roz

I'm going on my first cruise in two weeks time... on the Epic in a Solo Studio.

I've been on vacation alone a few times and have mostly gone back to the same resort that I know well, because I feel safe there. I feel that cruising is an ideal way to spread my wings. I plan to post a review on my return as I've picked up some fantastic information from these boards and hope my perspective will also help others. I am totally expecting to love it :)

As with anytime when you are alone, walk with confidence and be aware of your surroundings. There are enough crew near by that if you feel uncomfortable tell them. If you find your self in the same hang out, get to know the crew and let them know you are by yourself, I promise they will watch as best as they can and will help you.

All of that said I have never felt threatened or afraid of other passengers.

My one strong suggestion is go to the first solo gathering and meet other woman that might be like you. Instant friend for the week, yet the freedom to do your own thing when you want. Its also a great way to have a group for dinner. Mind you at 21 the crowd may be older but great companions.

Take the leap you will be hooked.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hi, I wish I had started cruising at 21:D..........

Cruising (in my opinion) is very safe. It is quite easy to meet other folks and you can participate in activities (if you want)

or can just lay back with a book and relax if that is more your thing.

I am quite a bit older than you and have been traveling on my own for many years. I am going on a cruise to Europe

in August (solo). It is the only way I travel.:).......It is very easy on a cruiseship:D...the staff/crew are normally very

helpful and courteous.

I agree with Roz about Dateline....I don't let those shows deter me from traveling.....I have been cruising solo for almost

15 years and love it:D

Hope you decide to go and have a wonderful time.

Hi,

i am traveling alone and loving it. Will be on the Epic next week in solo cabin for the first time. Saved your thread and will give you an honest review after return .

There are a few solo reviews already here maybe these will be interesting for you.

For my first solo cruise i did one in Europe (i am german ), in case i would have hated it, it would have been relativly easy to go home at any point if the trip - never happened 😉

Thank you and I look forward to hearing how it goes! Hope you have a great time! :)

I've done 3 solo cruises. Loved them all (have 2 more booked). I must admit, I do mostly book ship excursions when in port (I just feel more comfortable with a group). Never had an issue on the ship. People are great, the staff are always so friendly. You are only alone if you want to be.

I've done 3 solo cruises. Loved them all (have 2 more booked). I must admit, I do mostly book ship excursions when in port (I just feel more comfortable with a group). Never had an issue on the ship. People are great, the staff are always so friendly. You are only alone if you want to be.

Sounds great! Unfortunately, I don't think I have the funds to do any excursions this time around, but I also would like to do something in port close to the ship. Do you have any suggestions, or is everything usually pretty far?

Sounds great! Unfortunately, I don't think I have the funds to do any excursions this time around, but I also would like to do something in port close to the ship. Do you have any suggestions, or is everything usually pretty far?

It depends on the port.........where are your going? Some tours are quite reasonable in price (depending on the port)

As for sharing a cabin, Holland America used to offer that many years ago. I have never heard of other cruise lines doing it

but you would need to call NCL and ask them directly although I would never share a cabin with a stranger.

It depends on the port.........where are your going? Some tours are quite reasonable in price (depending on the port)

As for sharing a cabin, Holland America used to offer that many years ago. I have never heard of other cruise lines doing it

but you would need to call NCL and ask them directly although I would never share a cabin with a stranger.

I'm looking at just a 3 or 4 night for the first time so it's not too long, so there'd only be 2 ports. It looks like Nassau and then either Great Stirrup Cay or Coco Cay depending on the line. I think the private islands usually have the within walking distance so that seems like it would be okay.

I'm looking at just a 3 or 4 night for the first time so it's not too long, so there'd only be 2 ports. It looks like Nassau and then either Great Stirrup Cay or Coco Cay depending on the line. I think the private islands usually have the within walking distance so that seems like it would be okay.

Ohhh.......COCO CAY is a private island......no tour there.........it is like a private beach. You get off the ship with

everyone else and just find a place to chill out......they have loungers/umbrellas, etc.

Nassau? You can walk around on your own but a tour (through the cruiseline) should be really inexpensive.

I too, wish I would have started cruising at age 21. I'm 58 and while I've travelled with friends, I've really enjoyed my solo cruises very much. In fact, I have three more booked.

I've been on the Escape and have the Epic booked for Feb - in the solo cabin. Those cabins are found in the interior, and are behind locked doors that only solo cabin occupants can access - unless someone lets someone in. I found it very easy to meet other solos as there is a lounge specifically for the solos. You'll meet the solo concierge on the first evening, and he/she will assist you with dinner and show reservations. The first night there were just two of us who went to dinner, but by the end of the week our group was up to about 10 or 12. We met in the lounge each evening and it didn't take long to get to know one another. In fact, some of this group travelled together this past Feb and I'm joining several of them next Feb.

I tend to book the cruise ship tours when I travel alone. However, on the upcoming Epic cruise, I've joined a tour that one of the other solos was arranging in Jamaica. I'm also cruising in the fall and was contacted by another solo through the roll call who had set up a FB page. The group has 33 members (though I don't believe all are booked) and we're meeting right after muster drill the first night.

Long story short, I think you'll enjoy your solo cruise and I agree with the others, quit watching the programs that say security is a concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Another solo cruiser popping in to say that you should go for it! I love solo cruising and highly recommend it.

Another option for touring I haven't seen mentioned yet it is to pop into the roll call for your cruise and see if there is someone arranging a private tour that you can join. That can be more economical than a ship tour but you still will be with others and not on your own. You won't need a tour for the private island, but for Nassau, you might want one.

Also, when doing a tour, make sure to establish a tour buddy. On our ship's tour in Dominica, we almost left someone behind because the guide miscounted and no one else realized that she wasn't back on the bus. A "please don't let the bus leave without me, and I'll do the same for you" has always been well received by those agreeing to be my "buddy" for the day.

My one strong suggestion is go to the first solo gathering and meet other woman that might be like you. Instant friend for the week, yet the freedom to do your own thing when you want. Its also a great way to have a group for dinner. Mind you at 21 the crowd may be older but great companions.

Take the leap you will be hooked.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

kept meaning to do this on my cruise but i always forgot or was doing something else at the time they held it and i went shy [friends wont believe me on that lol ] next time i cruise alone i will try and remember to do this lol

• 2 weeks later...

i've pondered the idea of cruising solo for a while and I'm thinking of cruising solo next year. I thought I would have been the youngest to consider it. Im 27. Just like the OP I too was just a bit nervous what if I meet some weird creepo guy, and even though im pushing 30 I look like a teenager lol. Definitely following this post for some encouragement. I love cruising and its hard at times to get friends or anyone to go if they dont have the $$ or just dont want to. I figure why wait? Although Im a mixture of being extroverted and introverted, there are times when I really enjoy the company of others and not be socially ackward. And yet I love having my own room and being alone

i've pondered the idea of cruising solo for a while and I'm thinking of cruising solo next year. I thought I would have been the youngest to consider it. Im 27. Just like the OP I too was just a bit nervous what if I meet some weird creepo guy, and even though im pushing 30 I look like a teenager lol. Definitely following this post for some encouragement. I love cruising and its hard at times to get friends or anyone to go if they dont have the $$ or just dont want to. I figure why wait? Although Im a mixture of being extroverted and introverted, there are times when I really enjoy the company of others and not be socially ackward. And yet I love having my own room and being alone

you will be fine , never saw any weirdo guys when i was on The Golden Princess i did things alone i sat at a table for dinner or breakfast or lunch with others had no troubles i chatted to the staff and had a ball

Just like the OP I too was just a bit nervous what if I meet some weird creepo guy, and even though im pushing 30 I look like a teenager lol. Definitely following this post for some encouragement.

Why would meeting a "weird creepo guy" on a ship be any different to meeting a "weird creepo guy" on a taxi/bus/train/plane, at the post office, in MacDonalds, in a store, at a bus stop, in a bar/nightclub ???

Surely as a grown woman you are fully practiced and capable of saying to any male anywhere in any situation "nice to meet you but thanks I am not interested".

I have cruised solo 6 times out of my 29 cruises. I live 30 minutes away from The Port of Miami. If you love cruising, you won't mind cruising solo at all. You will have a great time. At dinner, they will seat you with singles and other solos. I always book my excursions through the ship whether I'm sailing with others or solo. I feel safer that way.

I have cruised solo 6 times out of my 29 cruises. I live 30 minutes away from The Port of Miami. If you love cruising, you won't mind cruising solo at all. You will have a great time. At dinner, they will seat you with singles and other solos. I always book my excursions through the ship whether I'm sailing with others or solo. I feel safer that way.

Or you can sit with anyone you want. I choose "open seating" and sit with different people every evening because I like meeting different people. If I see that I'm going to be seated with someone I'd rather not sit with, I let them know that I'd rather sit at a different table.

I did get into a situation where security was almost called, but this happened on the dance floor with lots of people around.

Just enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a solo traveller altho not by choice. I find as a woman I wear a wedding ring. That helps a lot. I have never had any problem either on or off the ships. I go on Ships tours if they are for full days. But have no problem going into the ports on my own.After the first day on the ship you will find even couples tend to do things separately. So no one notices you are Solo.My next Med cruise is Oct 5th on Freedom of the seas from Barcelona. Any solos on that ship Sure would like to meet you.

Diamond with Royal Carr.,

Platignum with Princess

Elite with Celebrity.

Another solo cruiser chiming in, here. I started cruising solo in the late 80s (dang that makes me OLD!) and have never had any problems at all. In fact, the majority of my trips have been by myself. Carnival used to have an option for solo cruisers where they would match you up based on sex and approximate age but I believe they stopped that quite a while back. I'm sure you'll have a great time! Step a little outside your comfort zone, and then bask in being strong enough and independent enough to do something like this! HAVE FUN!

I'm quite a bit older than you, OP, but I'm getting ready for my first solo cruise in Sept. I have traveled solo on numerous land trips, so I'm pretty comfortable solo. Still a little nervous about solo on the cruise, though. I tend to be a little on the introvert side, too. I think we will both do great.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm getting ready for my first transatlantic solo trip in October. I now prefer to travel solo. I had my first solo cruise last year and will never look back.

For years I tried to get someone to cruise with me and couldn't find anyone. A coworker suggested I cruise solo so I did and now I have a solo cruise addiction. I had already traveled solo on land based trips so I was already comfortable traveling alone. I'm so glad she suggested that and I have several solo cruises booked.

I am taking my mother on a couple of cruises but I'm secretly hoping she will cancel so I can go solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums