Opinions on 25th anniversary cruise

stampinantie

Long time HAL cruiser looking for something quite a bit nicer.

I know nothing about upscale cruising (I'm aware this board is for luxury cruising, but wasn't sure where to post) and frankly all of my internet searching has just made me more confused.

I'm completely aware that this is all subjective, and would value your opinions to help me narrow down my search to a couple of cruise lines.

Very important

High quality food prepared on ship with fresh ingredients

A good steak

Large staterooms that aren't "tired"

Itinerary that leaves from the U.S.

Not important

Inclusive beverages and service

Under 800 passengers

Thanks for your consideration.

Itineraries leaving from the U.S. is really limiting. I am a long time Regent customer (also sailed on Silversea) and find that itineraries leaving from the U.S. (generally Caribbean or Alaska) have better pricing but are not representative of most luxury cruises (perhaps because most repeat customers have been to the Caribbean and Alaska numerous times and prefer not to go there).

There are four major cruise lines that are popular with people in North America (meaning the U.S. and Canada). Those are (in alphabetical order), Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. Crystal does not meet your requirements due to the size. IMO, all of these cruise lines have excellent food and service.

In terms of suites:

Regent: Their new ship, the Explorer will be a year old next month and has amazing suites (large balcony, walk-in closet, bathroom with large shower and bathtub and plenty of space for your belongings). Two of their three other ships (the Navigator and Voyager) have been completely refurbished within the last few months. The Mariner will undergo a $50M renovation early next year.

Silversea: They also have a new ship - the Muse. Although we have sailed on Silversea, IMO, it is best to check out the suite sizes on their website. We have sailed three different Silversea ships. Although the Shadow and Whisper (almost identical ships) are older, they are our favorite. The Spirit is newer than the Shadow and Whisper but was built during the downturn of the economy - we don't care for the Spirit. They have one smaller ship (not sure if it is the Cloud or Wind). We toured that ship and would to sail on her ........ much too old.

Seabourn: Until this year, Seabourn had too many smoking areas so we have not sailed them. They have the newest ships with another one being launched either later this year or next year.

If newer ships are of interest to you, I strongly suggest checking out the suite sizes on the website and doing a comparison. You will likely get great food and excellent service on all three cruise lines.

Once you have an idea of which one or two that you are interested in, check out their itineraries and then ask questions on their Cruise Critic boards. There are "regulars" on all of the boards that will be happy to answer your questions.

I do have one question, you said that service was not important. I'm not sure why you feel that way as service can make or break a cruise.

One more point (and this may be because I love Regent), they include business class international air (coach air within the U.S.) and excursions (there are some "Regent Choice" excursions with a cost but many are included.

Hope that this helps!

)There are four major cruise lines that are popular with people in North America (meaning the U.S. and Canada). Those are (in alphabetical order), Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. Crystal does not meet your requirements due to the size

Didn't they say being under 800 wasn't really that important? - so why bother excluding Crystal - other than you haven't sailed on them so couldn't really speak authoritatively on Crystals product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time HAL cruiser looking for something quite a bit nicer.

I know nothing about upscale cruising (I'm aware this board is for luxury cruising, but wasn't sure where to post) and frankly all of my internet searching has just made me more confused.

I'm completely aware that this is all subjective, and would value your opinions to help me narrow down my search to a couple of cruise lines.

Very important

A good steak

Not important

Under 800 passengers

Thanks for your consideration.

I would take a look at each of the luxury lines. I'm listing them in alphabetical order. :)

Crystal

Regent

Seabourn

Silversea

Look at all four because if leaving from the USA is important to you better to start with all four.

Start to narrow down based on the itineraries.

Just like HAL not all the ships that each cruise line sail are identical. For example Silversea has ships carrying anywhere from 294 to 600 guests. Also the years built range from 1995 to 2017.

Once you have your list narrowed, read reviews and look closely at the ships web sites. The web sites tell you a lot because they will highlight areas that the cruise line/ship emphasizes and I do believe the deck plans are very helpful.

In the end, you won't know whether or not you make the right choice unless you sail it yourself and also remember that just because one person or even more recommend one line and tell you how they don't care for another line that is meaningless because you might see things differently.

What I do look for in reviews is what I call the 80/20 rule. If 80 percent of the reviews highlights something as being positive or negative I accept it as fact until I experience it myself.

Keith

You might find this recent thread on luxury cruise line alternatives that others are considering @ http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2420522 - there's some good comments in there on a variety of "luxury" cruise lines and a poll to indicate where 180 people voted on their plans for luxury cruising

What I do look for in reviews is what I call the 80/20 rule. If 80 percent of the reviews highlights something as being positive or negative I accept it as fact until I experience it myself

Interesting application of the Pareto principle which states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. Using that I wonder if it would be fair to conclude that 20% of the reviews have 80% of the useful information - now of course the challenge which of the reviews make up that 20% ;p

Thank you all so much! Just what I needed to get started.

Travelcat2. Poor wording on my part--included service fees are not important to us as we tip generously no matter how we pay for it. It's a great perk, but just not a limiting factor.

Thank you all so much! Just what I needed to get started.

Travelcat2. Poor wording on my part--included service fees are not important to us as we tip generously no matter how we pay for it. It's a great perk, but just not a limiting factor.

Okay - I understand now. As you may know, tipping is included and is not expected. The way Regent discusses their tipping policy is as follows:

"Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events."

In terms of Crystal (left out intentionally due to the size), while I have not sailed on Crystal, I do know that they have the smallest cabins of the four luxury cruise lines and currently do not have open seating (but have seating by reservation). One of their two ships that could meet your requirements is undergoing a huge renovation in the fall and will then have open seating, less passenger capacity and some larger suites. The other ship will be redone next year.

Of the four lines mentioned, I've only ever sailed Regent so I can't compare directly with the others.

What I can say, though, is that we chose Regent initially (in 2009) based on a number of factors, including the included air, excursions, smoking policy, suite size, included tipping, dress code, itinerary, etc...at the time, Regent was the best fit for us. Now we always check Regent first, as we're comfortable on the ships. We know and recognize crew members, who also remember us. We know the hours for dining and shopping and when the special events run. Getting on a Regent ship is like a homecoming for us.

Having said that, though, a lot of the things we didn't like about the other lines have changed over the last eight years. If I had to choose from the others right now, I'd take Seabourn, Crystal, and Silversea in that order (assuming similar itineraries & pricing). But it's awful difficult to compare the lines because of their different pricing structure, inclusions, etc. - and things like fixed seating, included excursions, transfers, tips, dress, suite size, etc. may be more or less of a factor for others than for us. From my research, Seabourn is probably the closest to Regent overall. Crystal still has small basic cabins (although I hear the PH suites are nice), and Silversea's dress code doesn't sit well with me.

Bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four, it's just that one or two of them will probably be a better 'fit' for your wants and needs. Whatever you do, pick one and approach it with an open mind and just enjoy the cruise!!!

A premium line with excellent food: 1200 passengers ships Riviera and Marina by Oceania Line. All non alcoholic drinks, water, specialty coffees, tea etc. included, no formal nights. They have smaller ships of barely 700 passengers as well. When in the US and the Caribbean, they sail out of Miami. Higher price than HAL but lower than the luxury lines previously mentioned where alcohol is included.

A premium line with excellent food: 1200 passengers ships Riviera and Marina by Oceania Line. All non alcoholic drinks, water, specialty coffees, tea etc. included, no formal nights. They have smaller ships of barely 700 passengers as well. When in the US and the Caribbean, they sail out of Miami. Higher price than HAL but lower than the luxury lines previously mentioned where alcohol is included.

This is the Luxury Cruising board. Oceania, even according to your post, its not luxury line.

This is the Luxury Cruising board. Oceania, even according to your post, its not luxury line.

Could not agree more. We have sailed Oceania as you know and while twice on one of their ships and, theyare beautiful, they are a far cry from luxury cruise lines. It isn't about included non-alcoholic drinks, it is the entire experience that while good, is not luxury!

The op wants the following:

Very important

A good steak

Not important

Under 800 passengers

Oceania's ships Riviera and Marina qualify as well as the better state rooms of their smaller ships. It's up to the OP whether he wants to upgrade to a luxury line with 'inclusive beverages' andships 'under 800 passengers'.

The op wants the following:

Very important

A good steak

Not important

Under 800 passengers

Oceania's ships Riviera and Marina qualify as well as the better state rooms of their smaller ships. It's up to the OP whether he wants to upgrade to a luxury line with 'inclusive beverages' andships 'under 800 passengers'.

What the OP wants can be found on any number of ships. HAL Prinsendam for instance. BUT this is the luxury board and no matter who says Oceania is more than luxurious enough for him/her that does not make Oceania a luxury line. Lots of people consider an Acura more than luxurious enough as a car but that doesn't put it in the same class as Mercedes, Audi or BMW,

What the OP wants can be found on any number of ships. HAL Prinsendam for instance. BUT this is the luxury board and no matter who says Oceania is more than luxurious enough for him/her that does not make Oceania a luxury line. Lots of people consider an Acura more than luxurious enough as a car but that doesn't put it in the same class as Mercedes, Audi or BMW,

Good point and very true!