Taking a Car Seat

thechandlers99

Looking for advice from people who have taken a car seat on the ship with them. We have one private van excursion planned and I'm trying to decide if I should bring the seat for my 2 year old. It seems like a huge hassle, but I also want him to be safe.

If you've taken one, what tips can you provide?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is constantly discussed on this board. Do a search and you'll pull up lots of threads.

Not sure what tip you are asking about.

Yes, bring the seat. Kids are a hassle sometimes.

If your seat is heavy, get a smaller one for travel.

I brought my Diono Radian XT for my two year old. it was a pain in the behind! i strapped it with bungee cords to my umbrella stroller through the airport and some ports. But at some ports, it was absolutely useless. Alot of the taxis were old and didn't have seat belts or we took a open air bus/trolley where you couldn't strap the car seat to anyways.

We generally have not taken them, but did take them on a couple of cruises where we stayed on land before of after. ***** the ship, we never had any issues. I'd sit them on the floor upright with the seat portion under the bed, usually on the side of the bed quite close to the wall. This is with 2 full size Safety 1st Alpha Omega seats.

It is a bit inconvenient, but not really in the way since you only ever shimmy down that side of the bed to get in and out. It is otherwise not a functional part of the floorspace. So, that person has to slide towards the foot of the bed to get out... no big deal.

If you're going to tote the seat frequently (which we did for other trips) or you're going to check it as baggage on a flight, I strongly recommend getting a good bag. Our bags got the crap beaten out of them, and I wound up having to duct tape all the corners, but the seats came though just fine and still pretty.

We brought our Britax Frontier Clicktight with us on a cruise, just because we needed it on a drive back. We'll have to do it again this November. It stored very well in a closet on Regal Princess. However, we didn't use it in ports. Our child has been cruising since he was 4, and he is rather large, so while here in the US he is still harnessed at 6, we've never actually used a car seat in port. I don't know if I'd be as comfortable with that if he were 2 years old.

For an average 2 year old I'd recommend an Evenflo Maestro. Around $50-60, harnesses to 50#, very light, 19" wide, a very good travel seat. In most foreign cars, if they don't have isofix/latch, you will need to use a locking clip (sold separately).

Please do not check your car seat as luggage when flying. Since your 2 yo is required to have his/her own seat anyway, just use your car seat on the plane. You simply don't know how luggage handlers will handle your car seat and whether it will be compromised on arrival. Using it on the plane is the only way to make sure that your seat arrives WITH you and that it will not be damaged. You may not see the hidden damage, but your seats may be unsafe.

We had our grandchildren and adult children with us on a recent family cruise and they brought car seats with them.

They can be stored in your room or if too large have the room attendant store it for you.

Keith

Sorry but our experience on RCI ships is that they will have no place to stow your carseat some place other than in your own cabin..It's your responsibility to make the room for it not your cabin steward. The cruiseline you've cruised may be different.

Please do not check your car seat as luggage when flying. Since your 2 yo is required to have his/her own seat anyway, just use your car seat on the plane. You simply don't know how luggage handlers will handle your car seat and whether it will be compromised on arrival. Using it on the plane is the only way to make sure that your seat arrives WITH you and that it will not be damaged. You may not see the hidden damage, but your seats may be unsafe.

I would NEVER check my car seat. My son has been flying since he was 6 months old and we have always purchased a seat for him. I'm always shocked how many people trust the airlines to keep their seat safe!