Breakaway's Blue Ocean now 49$ !!

sebas030

It looks like Blue Ocean will be 49$ starting May 19 ....... Talk about expensive..... :(

For those who have actually ate there, is this worth it ??

Food is subjective for me when we ate there it was not worth $35. Be prepared to stop somewhere else after to finish dinner. Everything was appetizer sized and you could only have one appetizer. The plating was elegant and the taste very good just nothing special to us. Others might have a very different view.

As long as people keep paying more and more money for the specialty restaurants, they will keep upping the prices. I live in sea food heaven. We never contemplate going to an expensive seafood dinner when out of town - maybe a fish meal, but never an expensive dinner. Would much rather do some of the other options at half the cost - or the Cirque show and have entertainment. My opinion.

I will not be going there I don't mind paying extra but to raise the price by $14 in just a short time to me is absurd and makes me feel like I am being taken advantage of

But that is just my opinion

Suzanne

As long as people keep paying more and more money for the specialty restaurants, they will keep upping the prices. I live in sea food heaven. We never contemplate going to an expensive seafood dinner when out of town - maybe a fish meal, but never an expensive dinner. Would much rather do some of the other options at half the cost - or the Cirque show and have entertainment. My opinion.

For the price they are charging before and now the new upcharge... locally we Coastal people can do far better! Browns Seafood in Seabrook comes to mind and nothing on their menu is as high priced as that upcharge. NCL has really taken the for-fee concept to the extreme on Breakaway along with corporate sponsorship.

Where did you see this info?

Thanks.

The information was provided to a vendor of NCL's today in case people asked. If you notice the press release says nothing about the cost of the restaurant... guess NCL was trying the $35 but since it's too popular then people are going to pay a high price. Good luck to them! :(

We went on the TA, and it was good. The Madras and Pumpkin soup was one of the best things I have ever ate, tried Black Sea Bass for the first time, a nice treat at $35 each. But $49 seems excessive!

Yes it is and it's a 40% increase.

Supply and Demand

The restaurant is probably booked solid and they feel they can ask this price. I bet even with the price increase, it is still booked solid.

I may be in the minority on the NCL boards that feels the the revamped Cagneys menu would have been ok without a price increase since it obviously cut the good appetizers and shrunk the size of the filet. But to also increase the price at the same time is a bit crazy. Get less size and quality and increase the price too. Crazy! ;)

Royal charges $75 for their premium steakhouse on Oasis. But that is 5 star dining and unfair to compare to anything on NCL.

i am NOT going to pay $100 for my wife and i to eat, on a ship that i already paid for food for that night. i stopped going to cagneys when they raised the price. its one thing to pay for the chef's table at $90 for 9 courses (LARGE courses) and as much wine as you can drink plus a before and after drink. i was VERY happy with that. blue ocean i will skip. i think their success is short lived because its a new ship and no one knows what to expect. when people find out and spread the word, they will be empty and have to drop the price back down

Royal charges $75 for their premium steakhouse on Oasis. But that is 5 star dining and unfair to compare to anything on NCL.

i honestly have no clue how that is sustainable. that is what i would pay at capital grill, ruth's chris, etc. how many people are on the ship that can afford to dine like that? i suppose on a ship of that size there could be enough but i just don't see it. i am frugal and won't pay $150 for a meal that i can get by my house for the same price, when i could get something thats good enough for free.

i honestly have no clue how that is sustainable. that is what i would pay at capital grill, ruth's chris, etc. how many people are on the ship that can afford to dine like that? i suppose on a ship of that size there could be enough but i just don't see it. i am frugal and won't pay $150 for a meal that i can get by my house for the same price, when i could get something thats good enough for free.

The $75 includes wine pairing and several course meal. I believe 150 Central Park charges $40 for just a steak dinner.

The $75 includes wine pairing and several course meal. I believe 150 Central Park charges $40 for just a steak dinner.

ok, that makes it better. i might do it if it was a 4-5 course with 4-5 full pour pairings

We paid the 35 charge and have reservations does that mean we get charged more and will we get a small portion with the 35?

once you're booked i can't see how they can raise the price. if they try, just tell them you dont believe its right and why and they should drop it. if they dont, go above them until you get someone who apologizes and gives you a bottle of wine for the aggravation the people under them cost you

i am NOT going to pay $100 for my wife and i to eat, on a ship that i already paid for food for that night. i stopped going to cagneys when they raised the price. its one thing to pay for the chef's table at $90 for 9 courses (LARGE courses) and as much wine as you can drink plus a before and after drink. i was VERY happy with that. blue ocean i will skip. i think their success is short lived because its a new ship and no one knows what to expect. when people find out and spread the word, they will be empty and have to drop the price back down

Agreed. Once the initial interest and novelty fade, they will probably lower the charge.

It reminds me of RCI's experience with it's 'low end' specialty restaurant "Johnnie Rockets". First it was free, then they added a charge because it was too popular, then it went away again, then it's back again. The charge is a way to control demand to a manageable level as well as earn profits....

We paid the 35 charge and have reservations does that mean we get charged more and will we get a small portion with the 35?

We too have booked and paid for this restaurant for our upcoming cruise and I can't imagine NCL would try to bill for the price difference for something that was paid for before a price change. I am sure the meal and experience will be lovely, but at $49 we will not be booking this restaurant for our Getaway cruise.

I could only wish I could eat in Ruths Chris for $49!!! Usually at least $100 per person or more depending on what we eat!! Same for Morton's or some of the other fine dining.

I'll withhold judgement on the price of Ocean Blue until I try it. Around here a family restaurant for two is about $50, so $100 for fine dining is a bargain.

Archived