Freedom of the Seas diverted

Karter

Just in case anybody is tracking the FoS we are going to San Juan in place of St Thomas due to delays incurred handeling three mesical emergincies. The first one the coast guard airlifted one person off Coco Cay. We were then diverted to Nasua to evacuate two more people.

In addition they evacuated Coco Cay due to rough seas that was affecting tender operations.

Just in case anybody is tracking the FoS we are going to San Juan in place of St Thomas due to delays incurred handeling three mesical emergincies. The first one the coast guard airlifted one person off Coco Cay. We were then diverted to Nasua to evacuate two more people.

In addition they evacuated Coco Cay due to rough seas that was affecting tender operations.

Sorry you will miss St. Thomas. In hindsight, it seems like it would have been a good idea to skip Coco Cay and go straight to San Juan with an afternoon call and then onto St. Thomas and San Juan. I have heard of RCI doing that when Coco Cay was too rough to tender to.

Thanks for the post. I have some friends on your cruise.

Just as we were leaving St Martin- when the ship had just cleared the end of the pier - the caption stopped the ship and returned to the pier to let an ambulance take another passenger to the hospital. This was the 4tg person to be evacuated on this cruise.

In addition durring the ice show one of the performers had what apperared to be a very significant cut to his arm when he grabbed another skaters ankle. There was quite a bit of blood on the ice where the blood shot out while he was spinning her. The cancled the next show due to the injury. It was obvious that it was seeuous when the CD Richard Spacy came out his only comment was there was an injury and the show was over.

In 90+ cruises this has been one of the most unique ones. We'll see what happens next.

On a more humorous note we were talking with the captain and a passenger walks up and started complaining to him that they were out of english tea bags and wanted the captain to help him get some. The captain took it all in stride and introduced him to the hotel manager to help him out. One interesting cruise.

Wow.Do you think that it is becouse more seniors citizens are cruising in the winter ?I live on the beach in Fl.and we gets LOTS of senior citizens here in the winter from Canada and the northern states that stay all winter and lots of them cruise while here.I know the hospitals stay pretty busy with them also.Just a thought !! I hope we have better luck on our cruise and that you still has a great time.

Wow.Do you think that it is becouse more seniors citizens are cruising in the winter ?I live on the beach in Fl.and we gets LOTS of senior citizens here in the winter from Canada and the northern states that stay all winter and lots of them cruise while here.I know the hospitals stay pretty busy with them also.Just a thought !! I hope we have better luck on our cruise and that you still has a great time.

We noticed this on a December cruise...it was Alpha Alpha Alpha several times a day, almost every day, and one guest did have a fatal event in the theatre one night. During our July cruise the families far out numbered the retired folk, and I don't remember hearing it even once.

You're assuming medical emergencies always mean elderly. It could just as well have been a young person with a complicated fracture, or a diabetic.

The triple A on our cruise was a 10 yo.

You're assuming medical emergencies always mean elderly. It could just as well have been a young person with a complicated fracture, or a diabetic.

The triple A on our cruise was a 10 yo.

I don't think anyone said "always". Odds are out of 4 evacuations, at least half were elderly. Not likely they would evacuate a diabetic as that's something they can treat onboard. We've been on ships with evacuations and probably 75% of them have been elderly. They tend to fall easier and have more medical issues overall. Sometimes the crew gets injured, but they see a lot more heart attacks and strokes this time of year when more retirees are cruising.