Anyone else wondered how the "free" Classic drinks package will impact service?

3littlepigs

With the popularity of the current promotion there are likely to be sailings where a significant proportion of Pax have a drinks package.

I'm wondering if X is likely to increase staffing levels in the Cafe and bars to take into account the likely increase in customer traffic, and whether they will be putting extra alcohol onboard!

I'm predicting long lines for specialty coffees!

I've wondered about this too. Will they turn into booze cruises?

It will be interesting to read the reviews.

Someone in my village has booked their very first cruise, on Eclipse from UK, Norwegian Fjords, after I gave her an ad from the Sunday Times with a great price, including the classic package. I'm slightly worried now that they won't have the experience I have raved about :eek:

We leave in 2 weeks on silhouette....i'll report back....

Backups at bacio would stink....it is a small bar and we usually get the na package for coffee drinks

Bacio is slow at the best of times, since it takes a while to make the coffee

The waiters are busy, just not enough of them

We leave in 2 weeks on silhouette....i'll report back....

Backups at bacio would stink....it is a small bar and we usually get the na package for coffee drinks

Great riandei, I look forward to you reporting back.

Did you see librarylady's review on the Reflection? She says there is an Al Bacio annexe at the Ocean View (buffet outside area) bar. Wonder if this will happen on all S class ships? It would certainly help with some of those queues.

Did you see librarylady's review on the Reflection? She says there is an Al Bacio annexe at the Ocean View (buffet outside area) bar. Wonder if this will happen on all S class ships? It would certainly help with some of those queues.

On the Equinox

At the bar in oceanview the have a expresso machine

Also at the sunset bar they have a expresso machine

I share your concerns, as someone who will be on Infinity in June and because of timings with the booking with be on PAYD (Pay as you drink) - and no, my deal is still better than cancelling and rebooking so we will not be on on a package - I am concerned how it will impact on our enjoyment. I have seen threads on a British cruise forum that leads me to believe some of my fellow cruisers are not joining the trip to see the beauty of Iceland and Norway but for "the bevvy". I do hope these characters are in the minority when we get on board.

I will be approaching the whole adventure with a very open mind, not looking for reasons to convince myself the bar service is bad, and I suppose the converse might be true, because we are PAYD with a direct alignment between our purchases and the waiters tips maybe we will actually benefit

Yes...i saw it in silhouette in march

I will be approaching the whole adventure with a very open mind, not looking for reasons to convince myself the bar service is bad, and I suppose the converse might be true, because we are PAYD with a direct alignment between our purchases and the waiters tips maybe we will actually benefit

I hope this is the case as well.. we opted to get the OBC as opposed to the drinks package as we will make far better use of that. My biggest concern is that they will be so overwhelmed with the package peeps that they won't even notice or have time for us who will need to sign receipts and whatnot.

Interesting question. I hadn't really given it much thought because I don't drink much, so I wasn't concerned about the drink service. But now it's made me think about the impact the package will have on the overall atmosphere of the cruise. I have a few weeks to decide about a 4-day sailing. I wonder if the short trip, combined with the drinks package, will not be the experience I was looking for. This was to be my intro-to-Celebrity trip. I'm now concerned that service (and maybe behavior?) in the MDR will be compromised.

Anybody want to try to convince me to continue with my booking? ;)

Wasn't this the same sort of question that was asked when the package first appeared?

"Will there be nothing but drunks falling all over themselves on the ship"

"Will it turn into a Carnival Drunk ship"

"Will service go down the toilet because the waiters and bartenders don't get a direct tip?"

I was on the very first "drinks package" cruise back a few years and it was business as usual. And over half the ship was trying it out (Summit) and the staff was still figuring it out.

After almost three years I'm sure it will change nothing.

Service will be fine, and since they don't need your signature maybe better

Interesting question. I hadn't really given it much thought because I don't drink much, so I wasn't concerned about the drink service. But now it's made me think about the impact the package will have on the overall atmosphere of the cruise. I have a few weeks to decide about a 4-day sailing. I wonder if the short trip, combined with the drinks package, will not be the experience I was looking for. This was to be my intro-to-Celebrity trip. I'm now concerned that service (and maybe behavior?) in the MDR will be compromised.

Anybody want to try to convince me to continue with my booking? ;)

Absolutely not! If you would like to transfer your booking to me, I will gladly be a guinea pig and check it all out for you :D

Wasn't this the same sort of question that was asked when the package first appeared?

"Will service go down the toilet because the waiters and bartenders don't get a direct tip?"

I was on the very first "drinks package" cruise back a few years and it was business as usual. And over half the ship was trying it out (Summit) and the staff was still figuring it out.

Carnival has now implemented a daily limit of 15 alcoholic drinks on their drink package.

I don't think there will be a lot of drunks because of it. I have been to many all inclusives and never seen that to be a problem.

I can't imagine that the Somaliers or drink servers will be able to keep up in the MDR.

I think the reports for about 4 to 6 months out will be the ones that will tell what the impact is. And I hope things are not changed from my last cruise. But I never saw anyone in the MDR ordereing with a drink package. Just a few wine by the bottle type tables in my area.

With the popularity of the current promotion there are likely to be sailings where a significant proportion of Pax have a drinks package.

I'm wondering if X is likely to increase staffing levels in the Cafe and bars to take into account the likely increase in customer traffic, and whether they will be putting extra alcohol onboard!

Take cash for extra tips. You'll find excellent refill service.

-Marisa

Take cash for extra tips. You'll find excellent refill service.

-Marisa

:eek::eek:

No offense but that's a terrible idea IMHO

I would hate to see my favorite cruise line decednd to the levels of Cancun Condo sales all-inclusives where no tip no service rules.

A discrete cash reward at the end or an additional tip on the drink bill (you can ask for it from your server if you're on a package) is fine.

Cash all over the bar... :eek: please no.

cashmoney.jpg

Carnival has now implemented a daily limit of 15 alcoholic drinks on their drink package.

I don't think there will be a lot of drunks because of it. I have been to many all inclusives and never seen that to be a problem.

15?? That's not much if they're low alcohol drinks... and a 250 lb man can drink comfortably far more than a 95 lb women so I'm surprised that they limit it....

Wait, I have sailed Carnival a few times (and had a good time) maybe they do need some safe guards... but maybe a bar manager or even a waiter could be the judge of when to cut-off an over indulgent passenger package or no package.

13362-Party-Animal_L.jpg

for me at least the concern is not so the much the presence of the drink package but the fact that so many people are getting it FREE.. so how many MORE people on average will there be taking advantage over the usual numbers who pay for it?

I can certainly bet that many people will be taking full advantage just to try it out, as ordinarily it's rather pricy for those of us who don't or can't drink $45 worth a day.

:eek::eek:

No offense but that's a terrible idea IMHO

I would hate to see my favorite cruise line decednd to the levels of Cancun Condo sales all-inclusives where no tip no service rules.

A discrete cash reward at the end or an additional tip on the drink bill (you can ask for it from your server if you're on a package) is fine.

Cash all over the bar... :eek: please no.

cashmoney.jpg

It will depend on who handles the money.

I'm posting that in real life money talks. A "first world" reality?

It will depend on who handles the money.

I'm posting that in real life money talks. A "first world" reality?

Not disagreeing about adding to the built in tip, just worried about the delivery method.

There are some things about cruising that I'd hate to see go.

I have somewhat of a different concern other than "traffic' and "increased staffing".

After reading multiple posts on the 1-2-3 thread, I foresee one of the bigger problems being people arguing with the servers about what is included and what they "think" should be included! :eek: I've already seen it pre-1-2-3. Lots of unhappy customers because they did not fully understand what was included/not included in their package. Also, there will be the ones who will attempt to abuse it because they don't like the "rules". (i.e. both persons in the cabin must have the same package - Classic or Premium) There are already people stating that they will wait until they are on board and upgrade only one Sea Pass, since they are sure the bartender/waiter won't know they received the 1-2-3 promotion! :eek::eek:

I am anxious to hear comments from people once these free drink packages have actually kicked in on their individual cruises! :)

I think you could give someone a free cruise with everything included and they would still find a way to complain and try to get more freebies, this is just the nature of some people.

I have no idea how some people go on vacation and are so freaking bitchy I would hate to see how they act when they are working.

All I care about is getting good service, seriously go to a hotel in NYC it would cost like $20 for a room service burger, on a cruise you can get a room service steak for free !!

As for tipping I always give the server a dollar or two, I don't leave $ on the bar I leave it in my pocket.

I have somewhat of a different concern other than "traffic' and "increased staffing".

After reading multiple posts on the 1-2-3 thread, I foresee one of the bigger problems being people arguing with the servers about what is included and what they "think" should be included! :eek: I've already seen it pre-1-2-3. Lots of unhappy customers because they did not fully understand what was included/not included in their package. Also, there will be the ones who will attempt to abuse it because they don't like the "rules". (i.e. both persons in the cabin must have the same package - Classic or Premium) There are already people stating that they will wait until they are on board and upgrade only one Sea Pass, since they are sure the bartender/waiter won't know they received the 1-2-3 promotion! :eek::eek:

I am anxious to hear comments from people once these free drink packages have actually kicked in on their individual cruises! :)

Archived