Accessability isuues on a Baltic Cruise Stockholm, Helsinki and Copenhagen

Knolmom

Anticipating a Baltic Cruise next May. I have mobility issues, use a rollator, and have done Med cruises the last two years in October. I was able to use my walker during the three days we were in Venice and negotiated over 20 bridges with DH using walker and cane combo.

For the Baltic, which will be a 14 day from Southampton, I would love to have a scooter for the ship and for use in the above mentioned ports. This way I will be able to save my energy for the St Petersberg overnight, plus Berlin from Warnemunde, where I would not be taking the scooter as we will be doing a private group tour. I am confident I can keep up during those tours. Will I be able to use the scooter for a DIY in Copenhagen, Helsinki and Stockholm? Would I be able to use a scooter in Tallinin and Gdansk if we chose that itinerary?

Tallinin is a beautiful little town, not particularly wheelchair friendly, but doable from the ship and back. We did not go up the hill; figured that would require too much battery power.

Helsinki has an accessible shuttle bus that will take you to and from the center of town. From there, you should be able to get just about everyplace. They had a very nice flea market the day we were there. Do not know if it was a daily or weekly event.

Stockholm depends on where you dock. If you actually dock in Stockholm, they have the “painted line” on the sidewalk into town. It is quite a little jaunt, so you might want to consider a bus into the center of town.

Copenhagen is easy to get around in. Suggest you take the train to the central station and work your way back to the ship. The central station is near Tivoli Gardens and the Town Square.

I have not been to Gdansk.

If you are seeing these places on your own, I would suggest that you use Open Street Maps. They do identify many stairs in pedestrian paths that Google does not show. However, Google does offer a bicycle path in many of the “old European cities”. The bicycle paths on Open Street Maps are not that good. Also, with Google, you can get a “street view” which does help. I have found using both maps does eliminate a lot of bumps in the road.

We travel with a spare battery pack considering that we do plan some rather extensive outings. This also allows us to see quite a bit more.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

bigbiker.gif

Archived